TV NEWS I CAN USE

arcfilm
arcfilm Posts: 44 Just Starting Out*

So basically i am doing a short film where i need basically news that talk about and epidemic or something similar. i need it like for a 10 sec and i want to use the audio in the background so the question is can i just use the one that are on youtube like cnn or bbc or other news channels or is there a legal way to do it. 

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,279 Power User

Actual News broadcasts are actually copywritten material.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,632 Enthusiast
    edited April 2020

Fair Use Act ? -->  used in the context of : comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work

• Triem23

@GrayMotion True, but that won't stop YouTube from filing a strike. On YouTube you are guilty until proven innocent.

Case in point, my Animation 1 tutorial was removed because I used ten seconds of Terry Gilliam animation with a voice-over about paper doll animation. Showing Gilliam's animation while discussing his process in an animation tutorial is clear cut fair use. Well, YESTERDAY I got my arbitration judgement from YouTube. Denied. I cannot use the clip. 

In this case it doesn't matter WHAT Fair Use is. YouTube doesn't actually follow the law. 

If it's audio only it's safer to re-record. Since smartphones can record and send audio, it's not hard to get a VO. 

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,632 Enthusiast
  • arcfilm

So there is no way to do it unless i do one alright thank you

• Triem23

@HitFilmer196673 What we're saying is a news broadcast is copywritten. That said, your use MIGHT count as "Fair Use" and be legally protected, but that a "FAIR USE" won't stop Google from MAYBE dinging the audio and giving you a copyright strike.

If you DID use an audio clip from an actual broadcast, Google MIGHT flag it. Probably not as the automated bots seem to look for music first, images second, and not so much spoken word.

If it's a background element under dialog it's probably un-noticable.

It's SAFER to use original audio. If you use audio from an actual news broadcast, it's possible that immediately, or even years from now YouTube will hit you with a copyright flag. This COULD be YouTube just automatically sticking ads on your video and giving the money to the owner of the news clip, OR it MIGHT result in your video being pulled.

I've had enough issues with YouTube I'd go for original audio.

On the other hand, if you have a particular broadcast already in mind, you might be able to send that to an actor and have them re-record it for you. Hell, *I'll* do it. I'm in lockdown. It'll kill a few minutes.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 436 Enthusiast

Short clips is probably OK as long as you are commenting about them, course youtube has gone full totalitarian about this subject.

• arcfilm

Thank you very much guys much appreciated I will do my own news using green screen hopefully.