Color Grading Workflow with Davinci

Flip390
Flip390 Posts: 29 Just Starting Out

Is there a workflow where I can use Hitfilm Express or Pro to edit a project and then use Davinci to color grade and import the grades back into Hitfilm? I am personally not that impressed with Express' color grading tools and don't know how much better Pro's are since I am planning on upgrading but I do want to use davinci Resolve in my workflow to have a better color grading experience. Unless I find that Pro can be comparable to Resolve for coloring. But yeah the question is can I integrate both of these software into one workflow? Because I do like Hitfilm and don't want to pay adobe's subscription and learn another editor.

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,641 Moderator

What is it you’re missing from Resolve? HitFilm has a bunch of color tools, about half of them being premium (pro or addons). Express should allow you to demo all the color tools for free (with a watermark) to check out what Pro has to offer. 

If you find that HitFilm’s color tools still aren’t satisfactory then first off, I’m sure the Devs would love to hear your feedback. After that though, probably the ideal Resolve-HitFilm workflow would look like this.... do all your editing in Resolve, and all your effects/composites in HitFilm. Start your edit in Resolve to figure out the effects you need. Build and Export composites from HitFilm and bring them into Resolve for the final edit and grade.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 436 Enthusiast

TBH I'd even do the video editing in camtasia before I did it in HF.  I've messed around with resolve and the timeline is pretty good.  HF is very light on media management which makes projects involving many files difficult and it's slow.  I love it for VFX, and text and titles.  I dunno if the hybridization is doing them any favors, but there are those people who use it for both.

• Flip390

@triforcefx

I probably should play around with Hitfilm Pro's grading and I will but nonetheless DaVinci Resolve is a very interesting piece of software and I guess I should rephrase to this be more specific. Is there a way to import a project that already edited in Hitfilm and bring the whole timeline into Resolve to grade it. I know you can export an XML in premiere to do that but I was wondering how would you do that with Hitfilm.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,641 Moderator

@Flip390 I should've mentioned this earlier, but there is no way to import a HitFilm project into another editor. This may have something to do with HitFilm's composite shots, which might be a problem for another editor's XML importer.

• Flip390

@triforcefx

okay thanks man. I appreciate the quick reponses.

• TxH003
    TxH003 Posts: 38 Just Starting Out*
    edited April 2020

Resolve can automatically detect transitions in your master baked export, and create sequenced clips on the timeline for color grading and other post-production tasks, at least this is possible with the Studio version.   However, I do believe the said functionality is available in the free version as well.   Overall, it works very well, and should suffice for short videos. 

I usually edit in Lightworks Pro, and transition to Resolve after picture lock.  The aformentioned feature has been a tremendous benefit for small projects that do not require an XML.  The same process can be used to transition from HitFilm to Resolve.

With that said, Resolve has a more refined editor than HitFilm.    The best method I found to integrate both programs is to add Ignite Pro, which will allow the use of the majority of HitFilm's vfx tools, in Resolve.