Hitfilm's Inability to Manage Resources

This seems to be a constant with regards to HF and lengthy projects.
I'm currently working on a third-party video for NASA, and this is the second time I've experienced severe lag in the time-line where minimal resources are being utilized. This makes editing almost impossible. At present, I'm only using footage shot by NASA and the ESA, most of which is low-def, but it never fails that HF will slow to a crawl, lockup or crash if a certain amount of footage is available for inclusion in the Project Media bar, and this is a issue I never had in Adobe. After running OSCD, it appears that Hitfilm isn't using the available system resources anywhere near what they should be.
Has anyone else experienced like issues with regards to similar projects?
PC specs:
Intel Core i7 4930K CPU OC'd to 4.7Ghz
16GB 1866MHz Memory
NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti 3GB
Win7

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    What format is the video in? Even SD footage can slow down a modern computer if it's say, a massive AVI file. 
  • DetCord
    DetCord Posts: 10
    What format is the video in? Even SD footage can slow down a modern computer if it's say, a massive AVI file. 

The majority are wmv.

• DetCord
    DetCord Posts: 10
    I just attempted the same project in Adobe. No issues whatsoever, so I guess I'll be moving back over.
    Shame, because I enjoy HF's ease of use aspects and less redundancy as opposed to the other software out there.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2014
    I think it might be that wmv is more of a delivery codec than an editing codec (someone can chime in if I'm wrong). I think thats why HF is having a problem with it. You would probably want to convert the footage to something like DNxHD. I dont use Adobe, but I know that Vegas is also good with accepting a lot of different types of video files. I personally convert to DNxHD when I do effects work in HF and it works great, but I do tend to use Vegas when I'm just doing editing and I have video files that I dont want to convert. 
  • Null Unit is correct. A wmv file is a delivery codec originally designed for web streaming. Though modern iterations include the VC-1 compliant standards for Blu Ray.
    As such it takes a lot of processor cycles to decode the file. Mac users can find the same problem when using H264 based codecs on their machines. As soon as you start stacking then up in a time line then it becomes an exceedingly processor intensive task to play and manipulate the clips.
    Adobe has its own secret sauce known as The Mercury Play Engine to deal with these and other codecs. Other NLE's use different methods like background transcoding to make an easier format to deal with.
    To expect Hitfilm to be able to match the size of the R and D budgets like that of Adobe is a tall order and it is considered good practice to always transcode clips into a more NLE friendly format before importing into the timeline. I always use ProRes because I'm on a Mac. On a Windows based machine I would agree with Null Unit's choice in using DNxHD.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    It didn't even sound like an attempt to be fair, but that's allowable.
  • rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Agree with the above, I transcode to DNxHD on windows.