Mavic Mini at Alaskan Beach {Liam's 'This And That' Projects Thread}

2»

Comments

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 515 Enthusiast

Thanks @FilmSensei (I did it!), Well, it could be my phone I'm on a SGS5, which of course aging, but my chrome is up to date.

• alaska_vfx_filmer
  • tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,017 Moderator

@alaska_vfx_filmer Still impressive. I do like the way the explosion sits better, but on first viewing and the redux the shadow on the wall is the best!

• alaska_vfx_filmer

Thanks, but which shadow do you refer to?

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,017 Moderator

@alaska_vfx_filmer I didn't realize they were different. Went to watch both again and I can't pick out a difference, but I like the extra impact in the far background in the 2nd one a lot.

• alaska_vfx_filmer

Ah I see, that was an avfx dirt explosion that luckily was lit from almost the same directional lightsource, also it makes the second (original) explosion seem more in place.

• alaska_vfx_filmer

It was awhile back, but I Never Realized I made it to a "Hon' Mentioned " 🙂

• alaska_vfx_filmer
  • alaska_vfx_filmer

This was something i did for fun, would appreciate some opinions, I thought it was pretty funny, but that's just Me 😁

• alaska_vfx_filmer

My job is more dangerous then you might think

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 552 Enthusiast

@alaska_vfx_filmer

It is a well known fact, that if you jump on wooden pallets, they will explode. But I see you did not have the safety poster from OSHA posted in a visible location. You could get in trouble for that. :-)

• alaska_vfx_filmer

@DataDesign Alaskan rednecks are not OSHA approved 😆, actually in my line (water and wastewater management) there are a ton of OSHA requirements, But we're all rednecks anyway 😉

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,820 Ambassador

The composting is solid and the effect of being blown back on the dumpster is spot on, and I love the one board spinning away, but watch your "camera moves." You have some sharp transitions in the movement that don't look correct and a camera zoom is ALWAYS towards the exact center of the frame. There's a quick zoom in/out towards the left edge of the frame at the end which is a total giveaway of your original locked camera.

• alaska_vfx_filmer

Triem23, Yeah, I noticed the 'flatness' look and the severe 'camera whips' after uploading.

The flying boards and 'on set' debris and pallets where a pain, I had to rotoscope and realign everything (3 individual pallets and 2 batches of hand thrown debris), for once I actually filmed in 4K so I could crop fearlessly.

BTW, Did you notice the transition when I'm thrown back?

• georgefilmltd
    georgefilmltd Website User Posts: 478 Enthusiast

@alaska_vfx_filmer Nice throwing back motion!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,820 Ambassador

Liam, not consciously. I mean there obviously has to be a cut between you on the pallet and atop the dumpster... I assume you did a take jumping on top of the pallet - maybe several - to animate and match between the shots, but I didn't see the actual frame of the cut. I DID watch on my phone, so maybe I'd spot it on a 20-40-60-inch screen instead of a 6-inch?

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,305 Ambassador

Fun stuff! The throw-back action feels okay, but it's got some hitches. There's a jump cut when your pose changes on top of the pallets at the start of the explosion, and the energy and arc of the throw-back motion are a little off. Still, it's a fun exercise!

• alaska_vfx_filmer

I had to jump off the pallets, so I had to make a jumpcut to remove me 'bracing for the spring', keyed out the wall (very convenient ) and animated my 'flight' to land on the dumpster, then i took a freeze frame of the shot of my landing and animated it a long the same path, then it just a simple fade between the two layers, so there are a few frames that you can see both, you cant see at full speed, it looks like motion blur, but if you slow it down to 0.25x in youtube you can see it clearly.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,305 Ambassador

I don't believe that the jump cut was necessary; it could have been done slightly differently and probably worked better. I did notice the cross-dissolve between the two mid-air poses when I stepped frame-by-frame through the video on YouTube (for those who don't know about this: pause a video, then use the comma and period keys to step forward or backward). It's an effective way to get from one pose to another, but the animated arc of your body (bodies) from pallets to dumpster is a little jerky in places, plus the timing is a little quick and the spacing is too even so it lacks weight. You've got the VFX part of things looking really good (by my eyes, anyway); it's mostly the animation side that could use a bit more polish to take this from "That's fun" to "Dude, how did you do that?"

• alaska_vfx_filmer

@CleverTagline, Yep, That was my conclusion exactly, (btw, thanks for the youtube frame by frame tip, I did not know about that),

But yes, I rushed the animation part and intend to revisit that part, I came up with a method of essentially 'puppeting' an object by masking it into different layers and creating animation points, I have not seen anyone else use this method, but I think it looks really good.

Anyway the problem here was that it took so long to roto everything that I ran out of time/energy to make and animate puppets.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,066 Ambassador

@alaska_vfx_filmer This is a fun little VFX project!

Regarding the camera movements, you might consider loading the final locked down footage on your computer or TV and then point you camera at it. Start filming and start the video running, then film the scene with natural camera movement reacting to the scene as if you were really there. Load that footage into HitFilm and track it (using the corners of the screen or even pre-placed markers using Post-It Notes or something like that). Then you can use that tracking data to inform the camera movement of your final project. Take a look at these videos to see exactly how to do this...

• alaska_vfx_filmer

@FilmSensei Here's what I did, immediately after shooting I filmed a handheld shot of the same estimating the length leaving room to trim, then I shot a quick shot of some heavy shake and cut it short over the explosion, then i parented the shake point to the explosion point.

I really like the idea of watching the final shot while filming the shake though, that would make it feel more natural.

• Triem23

@FilmSensei I've, of course, used captured shake before, but agree with Liam that filming a "shake pass" while watching a rough cut is a great idea!

• alaska_vfx_filmer

Just something fun I forgot about, Edited in Hitfilm, certainly not the best i've done, I sent this to our local pd facebook page on April fools day (they had publicly posted something similar), and they thought it was funny.

Alaska State Troopers Mobile Unit

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    edited July 3

Went to the Kenai peninsula (world famous for Its Sockeye salmon) and went to the beach, No sun bathers or surfers here, But I did bring my Mavic Mini, First real drone stuff I've uploaded,

This one was actually graded and edited in DaVinci Resolve, Would appreciate Tips, Constructive criticism, or even snide remarks if you prefer 🙂