Books! What are you reading now, what are your favorites?

JavertValbarrJavertValbarr StaffAdministrator, Website User Posts: 298 Staff
edited April 17 in General

My Goodreads account

Reading now: The Stand by Stephen King

A pandemic due to a weaponized strain of influenza nearly wipes out the entire world population. The few survivors, united in groups, establish a new social system and engage in confrontation with each other.

Favorites:

• Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
  • IT by Stephen King - The experiences of seven children as they are terrorized by an evil entity that exploits the fears of its victims to disguise itself while hunting its prey.
  • 11/22/63 by Stephen King - A high school English teacher goes back in time to attempt to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
  • Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - After being abducted, a physicist wakes up and finds himself in an alternate universe where his life took a different path.

Comments

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff

Reading now: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (finally - been meaning to read the book for the last few years, loving the film)

It's OK, but the story itself is one that comes across better in cinematic form, rather than literature, I think. Which is a shame - I love lots of Chuck's crackpot writing and was looking  forward to enjoying this one!

Got a bunch of my own personal book reviews going here: https://tostevinwrites.com/category/book-reviews/
    (great idea for a thread @Javert!) 

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,572 Staff

I have to admit...I've not properly read a book in a few years now, but I am halfway through Tales of The Smiths, which I am quite enjoying, and is an auto-bio comic about the life of the band, The Smiths.

Some of my favourite books are Perks of Being a Wallflower, Paper Towns, but I mostly read a lot of comics, so honorable mentions are Watchmen, Umbrella Academy, Scott Pilgrim.

• OliThompsonOliThompson Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 140 Staff

Reading now: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R Tolkien

I finally managed to start reading this book series last year (it's taking me a while because I spend more time gaming than reading). It's got to be my favorite set of books. An amazing, detailed world. I was worried that the films might tarnish what I thought of the characters, and what they looked like in my mind. Not the case! :)

Favorites:

• Yes Man by Danny Wallace
    • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    • Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R Tolkien
  • TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,572 Staff

@OliThompson I could never get on with Tolkien's writing. I tried the Hobbit but his style was rather...boring? One part that always stands out to me is that he specified "and they would not see Gandalf again until the battle of the five armies" or something, which sort of ruined any suspense and I now knew there was going to be a fight with five armies coming at some point...

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast

My favorite auther of fiction is certainly Tolkien, whats really interesting (if you are a real Tolkeienite) is The Silmarillion, which is the background story of tlotr, then the histories of middle earth, wich are basicly the manuscripts and notes, understood, most people (as ben says above) would be bored stiff. :-) I personally feel that the movies (although a masterpiece of cinematic art) are not in the same class with the books for storyline (no offense Oli ;-). But then a direct visual copy of the books with all the dialogue would probobly be monotonus . @TheBenNorris, you should try the audiobooks, Rob Inglis (reader) really brings the books to life. 

My recent listenings/readings:

Jeeves in the morning 

By P.G. Wodehouse 

Manalive (a somewhat aligorical book that I don't particularly recomend )

By G.K. Chesterton.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,195 Moderator
    edited April 16

I used to be a voracious reader in my younger years, but I have found it to be more a chore as I approached 60 and now I find myself about a quarter of the way into End of Watch by Stephen King for a couple of years and I haven't reopened it or anything else.  I don't know what happened to my love of books...?  I did just order an autobiography, Nothing General About it, of an actor on General Hospital dealing with his bipolar/anxiety issues in the hopes it might be useful with one the autistic grandchildren who also has anxiety issues, but it hasn't come yet so it's TBD whether I manage to read it or not. :)

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,883 Ambassador
    edited April 14

@Andy001z It's asking for us to ask for permission.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,883 Ambassador

@Andy001z Yep!  Quite the eclectic bookshelf there, sir.  Wish I had pictures of my bookshelves in my office room before everything went into totes cir. 2004 :(  I also had floor to ceiling shelves in a closet full of collections of books.  Still have all the books just nowhere to display them anymore.

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

Books I'm reading at the moment* are The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Favourites:

• Mortal Engines quartet by Philip Reeve
    • Pretty much anything by Terry Pratchett, off the top of my head I'll name The Wee Free Men, Good Omens, and Guards, Guards!
    • A Study In Scarlett by Arthur Conan Doyle

(* I'm using "at the moment" somewhat loosely, I haven't been doing very much reading recently tbh)

@JMcAllister I used to love reading Pratchett! I really enjoyed Going Postal and the 5 Elephants (?). I've got a few Arthur Conan Doyle books I picked up from a charity shop that I still need to read too...might have to finally give them a go.

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 889 Enthusiast
    edited April 16

I've just finished The Ballad of Halo Jones graphic novel (again) and working my way through Save The Cat on screenwriting. 

BTW : I loved The Stand

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast

Oh! I had forgot Holmes, for audiobook guys who want to give older books a go, Librivox.org is a awesome resource https://librivox.org/search?q=Holmes&search_form=advanced 

It has thousands of truly free audiobooks, including the pre thirties Holmes storys.

• luckyscott85luckyscott85 Website User Posts: 1
    edited May 11

Hello All! 

I read books, I have two to read for now, the first is Game of Thrones (Steel and Snow), and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
    If I have only a few minutes, or just want to chill, or I want to be cheered up in the quarantine, I read jokes (e.g.  https://www.JokestJokes.com and this is an interactive site, with newsletter, rating, etc.)
    And I read forums because I need some community spirit :D
    I think all of these are good for my mental health!
    Have a nice day,
    LuckyScott85

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,308 Ambassador

@DafterThings I am also reading Save the Cat Goes to the Movies!

I am just finishing Maurice Benard's NOthing General About It.  First book I have read in a quite a few years actually. Truthfully, I would have finished it weeks ago, but I got near the end and had to step back to make it last a bit longer.  It was a fast read.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador

I recently finished all of Alexander Dumas. Now I'm working my way through all the Scarlett Pimpernel volumes. 

After that, some Artemis Fowl. 

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 298 Staff

It took me 2 solid months of reading 1 hour every night, but I've finished The Stand. I'm not one to write long reviews, but I'll say it's been my least favorite King book and that I gave it a 2 star "it was okay" rating on Goodreads.

I'm now moving on to Pet Sematary. I'm also interested in Dune, in order to read it before the upcoming movie comes out.

Any updates from anyone else?

• AramMAramM Website User Posts: 154 Enthusiast

I have really enjoyed the books by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1445909.Adrian_Tchaikovsky 

Both "Children of" were great, fun, sci-fi where conflict is not solved through power, which is so, so rare. 

Had a blast with his Dogs of War which has a premise similar to  We3, but done  much more to my taste. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We3

Just finished Name of The Wind https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/186074.The_Name_of_the_Wind?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=KPcJ05fX5T&rank=1  

That was good fun, but not exactly for me. 

Reading one with lots of Indian gods in it now, not quite digging yet.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,308 Ambassador

I am now starting Blake Snyder's Save the Cat.