Deep Sleeper : Stop motion

DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast
edited April 13 in Show off

For a themed contest. I can't say the theme without giving the video away
The other rule was 90 seconds max so it had to be a very tight story.
Let me know if it makes sense as is asks quite a bit of the viewer.

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador

@DafterThings Yikes!

(Love the aquarium)

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast
    edited April 13

Thanks @Stargazer54 : I thought the aquarium was going to be a simple quad warp,
    The first thing is the background blurs so I had to blur the quad warped video at the same time.
    I also couldn't feather the mask as it was being applied to the whole video rather than just the bit I masked out.
    Third, of course, is my characters would walk in front of it so I had to re-think the shots to *never* show those moments. That's why you don't see the shots fired or 'Claire' walking around the sofa (which I did animate  ... and I hate walk cycles with a passion)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador
    edited April 13

@DafterThings Only you know the bits that are missing.  As far as the viewer is concerned the story is told effectively as is.  

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@stargazer54 True. I don't like making problems for myself but I do enjoy working around them.

@filmsensei Thanks. It's a little different to what I normally do
    (BTW : The theme was "Imposter" in 90 secs inc any titles)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,236 Ambassador

Well, that got dark! 

Well done! 

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,362 Enthusiast

Wow! Wasn't expecting that. Well done.

Thanks.
    When I started uploading to Youtube I knew I wanted to do darker stories as well as the sillier ones.
    Initially I considered a channel called Dafter Things and another called Darker Things. In the end I went with just the one simply because the time between uploads might be quite long.

For a brief moment I had an idea for this one to get much, much darker. It would have been one more sound as  Claire walks out. I ran it past somebody who just said "No, you can't do that". 

@KirstieT Thanks for the nice comment on the stream. Apologies I didn't get a chance to say thanks at the time.

I really enjoy screenwriting. You mentioned your writing background so if you, or anybody else of course, have any comments or advice in that area I'd be happy to hear them.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    edited May 21

Hey it was so good to have you on the stream @DafterThings! One of the lovely positive elements of this enforced isolation is that we have more time to do streams and talk to you all!

I do have a writing background but I don't actually do any screenwriting, just fiction. So I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does screenwriting too!

edited May 21

Thanks @KirstieT and understood. I am definitely enjoying the streams. They're relaxed, interesting and informative. Javert and Tom did a great job on the colour grading stream which is something I'm certainly looking to improve.
    Three things I have thought of since for Deep Sleeper :
    1) The picture was chosen to give some clue that the husband is in politics. Unfortunately, when composing the shot, I missed off Big Ben which would have been a more recognisable landmark. It might still be too subtle.
    2) The line
    "How was you day dear?"
    would have been better as 
    "How was the world of politics today dear?"
    I did have that line originally but thought it a little unnatural a thing to say. I am not so sure now. It was suggested she not use P.M. rather to use Prime Minister but, again, I didn't think that was natural. 
    3) I should have timed the TV and phone call a little better. At that point the TV was just to be background so I could/should have reduced the volume.
    There were also a couple of composition issues that somebody else picked up on.
    The living room set is a little uneven. Maybe another table or something in the background right.
    The scene outside No.10 could have had another figure background left (maybe a policeman) just to balance things a little.