Duplicated composites staying linked

This seems like a bug and it very annoying.  If I duplicate a composite, or maybe anything, and make changes to the duplicate it seems that they changes also get made to the original. This drives me crazy when I constantly have to go back and fix the original that got messed up whehn I made a change to something else.
I also notice something similar where I'll make a mistake with a composite or something and decide to start over so I delete it and make another one with the same name but all of the changes from the one I deleted seem to be in the new one. Sometimes if I restart hitFilm it solves this problem, but not always. Sometimes if I make the new one with a completely different name it will be clean, with none of the previous settings.
I've done about 4 projects in HitFilm now and these issues have bugged me in all of them.

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Make sure you duplicate it in the Media panel.  If you duplicate a composite on the timeline, then both copies are going to reference the same object in the media panel, and changing any one instance of the object will affect other instances as well.  If you duplicate the comp in the media panel, then you have two separate objects, and can change one without affecting the other.
  • PhilNolan
    PhilNolan Posts: 70
    Unfortuunately the Media panel is the only place I tried duplicating it. I never even considered doing it elsewhere.  I feel like duplicating it in the Media panel should be completely seperate from the original.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    It is.  Duplicating in the Media panel creates a completely separate object, which will be unaffected by any edits to other objects.