Duplicating a composite with changes

This seems like it should be easy to do but I can't seem to figure out an easy way. I have a still image appear over the video with a little transition in like an animated blur, opacity, etc., then the reverse happens to fade it out.  It all works fine but I'd like to repeate the whole thing several times with different images. It seems like there should be a way to just duplicate the composite and then swap out the image with a new one. I found that you can duplicate but I don't see a way to just replace one image with another.   Am I just missing it?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador
    Maybe if you make the media you want to swap out it's own embedded composite? Call it "Image holder," and swap out the image in that embedded comp?
  • PhilNolan
    PhilNolan Posts: 70
    edited May 2014
    Hmm  It looks like that may work. I never even considered having a compsite within a composite. Thanks.
    In fact I think I can just put all of the images in the embedded one and just turn the visibility on and off.
  • Triem23
    Yeah, remember that you can embed composites in composites. That gets very powerful, very quickly--for example, if you look at any of Majahr's text-based tutorials on the support page, and you'll see the first thing he does is created a composite called "Text Holder." then embeds Text Holder for effects work--that way, you only have to change the text in the Text Holder comp and everything updates.
    Oh, and if you're ever trying to adapt an After Effects tutorial into Hitfilm, anytime in AE someone says "precomp/precompose," well, that's making an embedded composite shot!
    Another thing to remember, especially as it sounds as if you're making a preset/template you may want to reuse: If you right-click on a composite shot in the media panel, you can export the composite shot as media to import into any other project. However, this only exports the composite shot you selected, and not anything embedded... HOWEVER, you can also import a Hitfilm project into another Hitfilm project--if you do this, it will ask which composite shots you wish to import, and will automatically import all needed media and embedded composites. This is great if you've created a complicated template that you want to use in a different project!
    Another thing to remember about saving out composite shots is how it applys to 3D workflow and animation: If you're playing with 3D models, you might want to do this as well--I load my model, make certain my textures are good and material settings and groups set up correctly. Then, if there's anything I want to rig to the model--say I want lights attached, or points to attach smoke/exhaust, etc,--I set those up. Then, if I'm doing a "light pass" version (See Simon Jones's tutorial on glowing lights on spaceships) I set that up as well. Basically I load texture, scale and rig my entire model in the center of the world, then save that out as a composite shot before doing any animation! That way, I never ever have to go through the steps of importing and setting up that model again, and it's ready for import into any project!
  • PhilNolan
    Thanks for the tips.  Funny thing is that I use PreCompose all the time in After FX, I guess my brain just had trouble transferring that over to a slightly different program. heh
    I was not actually planning to make this a template but I did have that in the back of my mind while I was working so Thanks for letting me know about the export. I was wondering about that
  • Triem23
    Well, different programs have different names for the same thing. It can get confusing. In AE, you "precomp," in Hitfilm, you "embed," and, in Vegas, you "nest," all of which refer to loading a multi-layer segment into another timeline as media. ;-)
  • PhilNolan
    edited May 2014
    Well it seems that you can't really duplicate pre-comps or embedded (whatever) in HitFilm. Any changes made to a duplicate affect all of the other duplicates. I just tried the same thing in AFX to test and I could make as many copies of the comp as I wanted as each one acted on it own.
  • Triem23
    Nah, you can. As Axel noted in your other thread, you have to duplicate the composite shot in the media panel.
    If you duplicate an embedded composite in a layer stack, you're creating a second instance of the same composite shot.
    If you duplicate a composite shot in the media panel, then you are creating a new Composite Shot, independent of the other.
  • PhilNolan
    edited May 2014
    In the Media panel is the only way I knew how. I just right clicked it and picked Duplicate.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Duplicating in the media panel will indeed create a separate copy which you can adjust without affecting the original. But bear in mind any embedded comps will still be their originals.
    If you want a total duplicate, including duplicates of all the assets, then the best way is to save it as a project file and then import that using the Import->Composite shot option, which is akin to working with templates.
  • J.A.A.
    J.A.A. Posts: 49
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, remember that you can embed composites in composites. That gets very powerful, very quickly--for example, if you look at any of Majahr's text-based tutorials on the support page, and you'll see the first thing he does is created a composite called "Text Holder." then embeds Text Holder for effects work--that way, you only have to change the text in the Text Holder comp and everything updates.
    Oh, and if you're ever trying to adapt an After Effects tutorial into Hitfilm, anytime in AE someone says "precomp/precompose," well, that's making an embedded composite shot!
    Another thing to remember, especially as it sounds as if you're making a preset/template you may want to reuse: If you right-click on a composite shot in the media panel, you can export the composite shot as media to import into any other project. However, this only exports the composite shot you selected, and not anything embedded... HOWEVER, you can also import a Hitfilm project into another Hitfilm project--if you do this, it will ask which composite shots you wish to import, and will automatically import all needed media and embedded composites. This is great if you've created a complicated template that you want to use in a different project!
    Another thing to remember about saving out composite shots is how it applys to 3D workflow and animation: If you're playing with 3D models, you might want to do this as well--I load my model, make certain my textures are good and material settings and groups set up correctly. Then, if there's anything I want to rig to the model--say I want lights attached, or points to attach smoke/exhaust, etc,--I set those up. Then, if I'm doing a "light pass" version (See Simon Jones's tutorial on glowing lights on spaceships) I set that up as well. Basically I load texture, scale and rig my entire model in the center of the world, then save that out as a composite shot before doing any animation! That way, I never ever have to go through the steps of importing and setting up that model again, and it's ready for import into any project!
  • J.A.A.
    J.A.A. Posts: 49
    THANKS Man this helped me toooooo