What decides gradient quality?

CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
Sometimes i look at videos online and I'm amazed at how smooth the shading is.  Other times i am unimpressed because the shading looks like it has layers to it.  I usually see this most in darkness where good.  I don't know quite how to explain this.  But what video quality/screen quality makes this look better when watching a movie? Here are some bad examples of what it looks like.
[attachment=922:grey_to_black_gradient_by_trinius-d4ralry.png][attachment=923:images-2.jpeg]

Comments

• mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    Sometimes i look at videos online and I'm amazed at how smooth the shading is.  Other times i am unimpressed because the shading looks like it has layers to it.  I usually see this most in darkness where good.  I don't know quite how to explain this.  But what video quality/screen quality makes this look better when watching a movie? Here are some bad examples of what it looks like.
    attachicon.gifgrey_to_black_gradient_by_trinius-d4ralry.pngattachicon.gifimages-2.jpeg

in hitfilm make sure you have 16 bit selected when rendering any gradients the default of 8 bit will give the banding like that due to the maths involved esentialy if you have gradients get the highest floating point maths you can for render.  also in hitfilm add ramp scatter this will add random noise and help break up the banding.  you will see the same technique referred to as dithering as well as basically adding random noise / grain it's used a lot to blen shots and composite shots, adding light blur as well will work.