trying to track down a particular teaser.

DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast
Hey guys, I have no idea if anyone can help, might be a long shot.
A while ago I saw a short teaser for a movie that consisted of fast fade in and out on 2 or 3 second clips of the film or show. I'm sure it was some kind of sci fi thing. Each fade in was accompanied by rising almost fog horn like sound that faded with each fade to black.
I'm trying to track down a teaser of this style online. I guess the movie or show doesn't matter but I need an example of this type of teaser (too short to be called a trailer) possibly on you tube. If anyone can help that would be great. Please move this if it's in the wrong section
Thanks

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff
  • DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast
    thanks Axel but that's not the one
    I'm looking for something that would probably be released when the movie is still in post. It's a real cut down teaser rather than a full fledged trailer. I found something for Prometheus but it wasn't the correct score. Its a similar sound to that made by the tripods in war of the worlds 2005.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,245 Ambassador
    You know you described every teaser for every sci-fi/comic book film of the decade, right?
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    edited May 2014
    A while ago I saw a short teaser for a movie that consisted of fast fade in and out on 2 or 3 second clips of the film or show. I'm sure it was some kind of sci fi thing. Each fade in was accompanied by rising almost fog horn like sound that faded with each fade to black.
    I think you're referring to the BRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHMMMSSS (as they are called) which has infiltrated all Hollywood style movie trailers since Inception.
    Here is the Inception movie trailer which has foghorns at the start:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hP9D6kZseM
    But really you should take a look at this article which lists a number of the trailers which has adopted the same style, including Planet of the Apes (which I think is the one you're looking for specifically): http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/feature/trailer-trend-rise-of-the-braaahhms.php
    Trust me, read the article. If you don't find what you need there, I'll eat my hat ;)
    Triem, yes and know, while I know what you mean this is a very specific thing I'm looking for. It's just har to describe.  
    Kristie, I'm at work right now so can't view the video with sound but that article at least suggests that might be what I'm looking for. I'll check it out when I get home.
    That helped, thanks Kristie. Actually it wasn't any of them but planet of the apes was closest
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    On a side note: This trope fascinates me. While I acknowledge that Inception is the first trailer to do this I really believe that this concept originally comes from the horror movie Hellraiser 2. There are scenes in this movie that take place in "Hell" where a giant obelisk shines a beam of black light around. In the scene a loud fog horn type of noise blares as the image fades out. Then a new image fades in and the fog horn blares again as the new image fades out and another fades in. Just like the structure of these modern horror/scifi movie previews.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Does anybody else feel that the OHMIGODTHISISSERIOUS trailer style is getting a little old, or overplayed? No matter how daft the film (eg Transformers) they seem to aim for the Inception feel, even if it's completely inappropriate.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,245 Ambassador
    edited May 2014
    Personally, I am amused everyone is calling it the "Inception" trailer style as the editing trope of fades to/from black with a rising tempo of cut until some percussion-heavy bit of music kicks in with the quick cuts and tagline-with-lensflare was old well before then.
    I suppose it's because that particular sound effect is so **** distinctive.
    As long as I am doing pop-culture film-speak that bugs mw, never call it "bullet time" the Wachowskis didn't invent a **** thing there--cameras triggering in sequence goes back to the 19th century, and that effect had been used in films like Wing Commander and Lost in Space already, and had moved to car commercials and tv opening credits before The Matrix came out. All the Wachowskis did was set up a more complicated rack to hold the cameras.
    Simon, at least it's not the 90's where every trailer had the late, great Don LaFontaine growling, "In a world, where... ONE MAN!"
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    I guess I really respond to the BRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHMMMMM sound :)
    As great as Don was, I found him always pretty comical, but some part of my consciousness responds really well to the foghorn, fade out, fade back in beginnings to the trailers. It gets me genuinely excited about the movie>
    I totally fall for the gimmick.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Hm, while the Wachowskis didn't invent the technique, they did something which is just as important: find an artistically legitimate reason to use it. They also achieved far more fluid results than I'd seen before.
    edited May 2014
    See, I understand the use of that sound in a film like Inception, War of the Worlds or Transformers because I find the horn/BRAHM sound is more mechanical sounding than anything.
    It reminds me of a huge, technical movement (or in Inception the sound of technological possibility hitting you in the face :P) War of the Worlds it was easy to see where the inspiration came from because the invading aliens made the same noise.
    In Hercules though it just doesn't work. Where is that sound coming from? How are they supposedly making it? How is it at all appropriate to this movie in particular? It sounded completely out of place to my ears. This movie is supposed to take place in the Roman era, and yet they've got a sci-fi sound transforming the trailer? Nah, don't like it.
    But thanks for sharing, DX6channel!
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited May 2014
    This one doesn't sound like horns at all and the video doesn't fade to black but the time period is current. The BRAHM sounds at 45 seconds.
    http://youtu.be/Md6Dvxdr0AQ

DreamArchitect- Any luck yet? I looked at a bunch of trailers on youtube this morning but none matched exactly what you are looking for. 
  • daydreambicycledaydreambicycle Website User Posts: 16
    I find this BRAAHHHMMM phenomenon to be quite interesting. I've never noticed it, but it makes sense and seems professional. As I watch action movie trailers though, it seems a bit overused. Thanks for this tidbit. :)