Making frames of exact pixel count

GeorgeClabornGeorgeClaborn Website User Posts: 60 Just Starting Out

I want 12 photos to fit exactly in the project's 1280x720 space in a 4x3 layout so each frame needs to be exactly 320/240 pixels. Where is this information displayed? It appears I can't specify this when I creeate the frame (why not?), but at least I should be able to see it so I can nudge the size til correct, right?

Comments

• GeorgeClabornGeorgeClaborn Website User Posts: 60 Just Starting Out

Substitute "mask" for frame above...

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Because HitFilm’s scaling works in percentages rather than pixels, you’ll either need to do some math, downscale your photos in another program, or use composite shots to get it right. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages... which one do you want to pick?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Well, you don't use "masks," you use "mattes."

You can create a plane of the exact size you want (320x240) and duplicate that around a comp shot.

Add the Set Matte effect to a photo. Select a plane as the source layer. Set the matte source to Alpha. Set the blend to replace. Now that photo will only appear where the assigned plane is, which will let you independently resize/reframe the photos around the planes.

Or, if you've purchased the Edit: Starter Pack/Pay what you will of $9+ you have the Split Screen Masking effect which exists solely to do what you want to do.

Building off what @triforcefx said, there might be advantages to preprocessing images in another program first. Especially if the source photos aren't already in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Also, in Hitfilm, in the File>Options>Display menu there's a toggle for "Show Mouse Coordinates." If this is off, turn it on, and there will be a display at the bottom right of the viewer panel.

If you still want to do it with masking, well, once your mouse pointer display is on, there's also the Grid filter. Stick that on a grade layer at the top of the layer stack and set the blend mode to ADD. Set the Border width to 3, then set point one to -160, -120 and point two to 160, 120. Blam, the grid will show you a nice 320x240 square to use as a guide.

Thanks for the alternatives, guys. I'll get to work on it. Masks seemed the intuitive choice because of their ability to move around on top of an image to adjust the framing. At the beginning of the windowing/framing/masking/matting (whatever we want to call it) process, I really don't care much about the >exact< size of the image underneath, just the size of the visible window on top of it. Matter of fact, I'll almost always want to manipulate the size and positioning of the image once the ... let's call it "window" rather than "mask" or "matte"  is in place on top to frame the face better, etc. And I'll want to be able to continue moving the "window" around on top for the same reason. In other words, I'll need the "window" and its underlying image to remain independently movable and sizable objects, although once "framed" the way I like, I'll need to be able to move them together as one virtual object into their final positions.

OK, I'll get to work learning about mattes and grids and planes... thanks for the pointers!

I wound up taking the pre-processing route in paint.net where it's super easy to re-scale the image then select a 320x240 rectangle from it. I now have 12 little images to just drop into hitfilm.  Thanks...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Sure. Now, how many more times will you need to do this? If you'll only need to do things like this a couple of times, preprocessing is the way to go. If you end up needing to do this dozens of times, the other methods will save you time in the long run. Glad you're moving on with your edit! ?

Further questions, just ask, but not in this thread, which I tag @TheBenNorris to close. 

This discussion has been closed.