How to stop automatic vertical scrolling

GeorgeClabornGeorgeClaborn Website User Posts: 60 Just Starting Out

Every time I touch the video section of the editor with left mouse button down to apply an effect, trim a clip, or.... anything really, the tracks jump wildly around vertically making it oh so very difficult to find your target track / clip under the mouse. It skitters off either up or down at varying speeds frequently winding up, because of such limited real estate in the editor, applying whatever you were trying to do to the wrong clip and if you don't immediately catch the error and Ctl-Z back, well, you get a nasty surprise later on. Tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to turn this ridiculous behavior off.  It's like Whack-A-Mole. I read the thread suggesting "make the video tracks vertically small"...?? That only makes the problem worse as they skitter faster.  That all said, I get it for moving a clip from one place to another, but it makes little sense for anything else: The current operation for left mouse down can and certainly is being  determined.

Editorially, how does anyone find this useful other than clip movement, much less make it the default behavior?  Why not also support a simple spin of the mouse wheel with maybe Shift ot Ctrl held, or the up/down arrows, or a slide on a touchpad... like every other video and audio editting program on the planet?

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,558 Staff

@GeorgeClaborn I think you're the person I saw complaining about this recently, but I really do not understand what it is you're encountering. The timeline will only move if you drag your mouse right at the top, bottom, left or right of the timeline. If this is happening no matter when you click, then there is potentially a hidden bug or an issue with your system.

• GeorgeClabornGeorgeClaborn Website User Posts: 60 Just Starting Out

No, it wasn' me, but I did see that post searching for answers. When I drag a clip into the editor window, when I grab an edge of a clip to trim, when I drag an effect in, pretty much anything / everything... the video area starts vertical scrolling at speeds that are proportional to the (usually inadvertent) vertical movement of the mouse. Everything becomes a moving target.  Doesn't happen in the audio area. No one else sees this??  I'm running on a run of the mill HP Spectre laptop.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

@GeorgeClaborn Are you using the laptop’s touchpad for editing? You may be accidentally triggering your touchpad’s scrolling command. Depending on your touchpad, this is sometimes accomplished by:

-Using the edge of the touch pad as the scrolling area 

-Using 2 fingers at once (this can sometimes be mis-triggered depending on the size of your fingers or sometimes even while one finger is hovering above the touch pad)

-Some touchpads uses other methods but this is the most common one

The solution to prevent this would be to modify your touchpad settings to disable touchpad scrolling, or at least tune it better

Good question but no... strictly mouse. As a specific example, let's say I've grabbed the end of a clip with the green close brace and start to drag my mouse left to shorten the clip. If the mouse starts to move up (or  down) instead of L/R, the window starts to scroll in the direction of the movement at a speed proportional to the up speed of the mouse. The green brace moves up too; the actual clip I'm working on remains selected, but may have scrolled off screen depending on how many tracks there are.

Dragging in effects is even more challenging: I've learned to "sneak up" on the target clips by getting them on screen first, then positioning the mouse off-screen at the target's height, then making sure I move into the window only horizontally. If I haphazardly come in on a diagonal, the target is scared away and off it scrolls, frequently resulting in the effect being inadvertently dropped where it doesn't belong.

So, it sounds like what I'm describing is completely foreign to you guys... never seen it before. So what happens when you drag in an effect? There is no vertical (or horizontal for that matter) movement of the tracks at all? Your target is on-screen and you can take whatever leisurely mouse route you like to get to it and it never moves? That's exactly what I want. I could live the current (my?) behavior if there was an action modifier key like Shift, Ctrl or Alt I could hold down to "freeze" the editor window while I drag in.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,558 Staff

@GeorgeClaborn it sounds like an issue on your end. The timeline should only scroll when your mouse is dragged into an area near the edge of the timeline. If this isn't happening, then there is a chance there is an issue. Could you kindly list your machine specs and OS please.

Thanks, Ben. I'll also try to upload a short vid to YT to show the behavior.

Hi Ben et al,

Here's a pointer to a YT vid showing the behavior I'm talking about. I have it set to "unlisted" so it should be visible with this link:

In summary, a hot key to stop all vertical and horiz. scrolling once a target is located for any operation requiring a held left mouse down would resolve the issue for me.

My machine is an HP-Spectre 16Gb dual i7-7500u cores, Windows 10 build 18362... pretty run-of-the-mill.

@GeorgeClaborn the video is marked as private, so I cannot watch it. What do you mean by "run-of-the-mill"? That laptop only has an integrated intel graphics chip, which will most likely run the software fine, but could potentially cause problems. I think correctly listing the video should help us diagnose this problem however.

Oops..I'm sorry, Ben... I thought I had published it as unlisted. I've just switched it to "Public". Give it a try...

Hey Ben, my subscribers are seeing it so I'm going to set it "Unlisted"...

@GeorgeClaborn Sorry George, I saw the video but only just realised my comment never posted, sorry for the delay!

Ok I see your issue, I noticed your timeline was quite short, which is going to have problems. Your mouse was also behaving rather weirdly? What is the size of your screen/scaling percentage? Sorry this is taking a while to diagnose.

Hey... I appreciate your help.  Not sure what you mean by screen/scaling percentage, but if you mean what was the expand / contract timeline ratio wrt the full project, then I'm not sure that's relevant as the scrolling behavior occurs regardless of how expanded or contracted the timeline is... I just set it for the video to best display the behavior for a section of my current project.  If you mean something else, please elaborate. My mouse doesn't feel weird to me.... that's the way it moves; speed is the default; halfway between slow / fast. It's the reaction of the editor window that I find weird.   If you'd like to set up a duo or zoom session over my phone so you can see in realtime what's happening and provide feedback, I'd be happy to do that. Thanks again.

The video is as you knew, integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 with a gig of memory. Driver is 21.20.16.4590.

I also seem to have an NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2Gb and driver version 24.21.13.9836. Quite honestly, that was news to me. Not sure how they interact or who's in charge...

I can email or text you my phone # if you'd like to try Zoom or Duo.

edited April 3

@GeorgeClaborn by scaling percentage, I mean the setting you find if you right click your desktop and select "Display Settings". Your mouse has a strange trail in the video you linked before, which is why I questioned it.

I'm not sure what else to suggest unfortunately. I've spoken to some other devs and it seems they think it can be sensitive sometimes, so we will take a look at what the solutions could be here. Thanks for bringing this up, sorry there is little we can do for you currently.

Hi Ben,  my display is 1600 x 900 at 100% scale. I have long mouse trails on... just my preference. I guess I still don't understand what "normal"  is... is it supposed to scroll or not? Or not so fast or what?  

I hope you all seriously consider Ctrl or Alt or Shift  down as a behavior modifier when mouse select is down to stop the scrolling. That would solve it for all instances I've encountered.

@GeorgeClaborn it should scroll, and it should scroll that fast, it just seems perhaps the areas that detect the scrolling is large on your screen, perhaps due to the below HD resolution of your monitor. We will consider our options when implementing a solution for this, it is unlikely to be a modifier as these already have functionality when dragging.

OK... thanks, Ben. Let me play around with the resolution and see if that helps. Thanks much to you and your team for looking in to this with me.

Hey Ben, I changed res to 2560x1600 and... way better!! Now I see what you mean by it should only scroll as you approach an edge. At the lower res (which I like because of vision issues), all the editor real estate was part of an edge.  This works for me.   

Do you all have any thoughts on the "not able to trim with effects in place" issue I pointed out in the video... is that expected behavior? Would you like a separate post on that?

@GeorgeClaborn that should be a separate issue. I can't reproduce this either, but it sounds like some other devs can, so we will investigate it.

• jwaltsjwalts Website User Posts: 2

I'm having the same issue. I didn't have this problem before the last update. It's extremely frustrating and makes the software almost unusable.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,706 Ambassador

@jwalts You would be better served to create a new thread on your issue.  The last comment on this one was in April and handed off to (we assume the devs).  Your issue may  or may not be the same.  Please start a new comment detailing your problem and also list your system specs.

Also, this being the weekend, FXHome staff may not respond before next week.  Giving the rest of us more information may help you solve the problem sooner.

• jwaltsjwalts Website User Posts: 2

This thread is only a few months old, I'm having the same issue, the software did not do this before this last update, and a search shows that this issue is not new or unheard of, it's been discussed in the past. 

My thinking is that by sharing on this thread it shows that this not an isolated issue and it has not been addressed yet.

@jwalts it would be useful if you could provide specs and screen resolution. I'm not sure what the state of this bug is, bug there hasn't been a big release since the last post on this thread, so if there is a fix it won't be live yet anyway.

• amazingdanamazingdan Website User Posts: 2

Hi.. I'm encountering this problem too.. Further, there is a horizontal scroll that started happening automatically yesterday once I started applying the push transition effect. Now I'm trying to figure out how to keep the timeline still because it just keeps moving randomly whenever I move the mouse pointer somewhere... Is there a fix for this? Your help would be much appreciated...

• amazingdanamazingdan Website User Posts: 2

Yes I believe the horizontal auto scroll issue comes when you insert the push transition into clips. I saved my project as a seperate file before I started applying the transitions and the previous file doesn't seem to be having the issue.  Will you be able to look into this? I'm not sure if the condition is the same with other transition modes but push transition specifically seems to be having the problem

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,706 Ambassador
    edited August 11

@amazingdan Please start a new thread with your issue and give specific details as to system specs and what your project file contains.  The original post is from April (before the release of HF 15) - which I assume is the version you are having problems with.  So posting here is probably not relevant.

Also, you might receive a faster response by opening up a support ticket here: https://fxhome.com/support

I believe this specific problem may be due to the new effects panel, but I believe I fixed after it was raised by beta testers. More information would help here.

• PrincessTissyPrincessTissy Website User Posts: 1
    edited August 21

I also have this autoscroll happening. On my laptop it happens BOTH left to right and vertically. The only way that I've seen it to stop (sometimes) is to quit and restart hitfilm. I didn't always have the autoscrolling issue, but it becomes a challenge when attempting to apply an effect to a specific clip, but the editor scrolls wildly in the direction that I take my mouse.

@PrincessTissy this is an issue with the effects panel changes and is being fixed in a future point update.

• davidmcallisterdavidmcallister Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I've just downloaded the free software to try, and I'm having the same problem. Brand new Windows 10 PC with a Ryzen 5 3600X processor, 16Gb Ram, 1920x1080 monitor at native resolution. This is an INFURIATING bug. I was poised to make this my new editor of choice - not so sure now!