How to come up with more original ideas?

TheFloosh
TheFloosh Posts: 34
edited March 2020 in Practical Filmmaking

i have lots of ideas for what could be movies, tv shows, short films, or whatever, but a lot of it is based on what I was watching currently, and some of my ideas are very original, but lots are also very similar to other ideas already created. Some are just scenes that most people wouldn’t remember from things that I would add similar things to, but you get the idea. What ways or things can I use to be able to come up with more original ideas for film?

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

@TheFloosh I think it's fair to say that almost nothing is original anymore. Every idea will either borrow from, be inspired by, or coincidentally appear to be just like another. However, that doesn't mean that an idea that is almost entirely another is a good idea.

Whenever I've found myself in a creative rut, one method I use to come up with ideas is to brainstorm completely random words, and from there, build something up. I find it's also important to not try to force ideas, let them play out over time.

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 985 Enthusiast

I think this is normal and find myself in a similar situation. I get ideas from watching shows or the news or asking 'What if....' to certain situations.

When I look at my ideas list I see lots of 'inspiration' from other shows or films. Often it fits into a gap between one or more shows but with different characters or character dynamics they can be more original.

A good way to get more original ideas is to write from personal experience, maybe change the setting and then ramp it up.

I write down every random idea that pops into my head. I then review this list, flesh things out a little and, maybe, join some ideas together. Often I am found staring at a blank wall. When I snap out of it I've either got a fleshed out idea or realise I have just been staring at a wall.

• TheFloosh

Think you o if or both you guys ideas. The only other thing I do say is with the random word thing, if I didn’t have an interest in the idea, should I just keep the word to integrate into other ideas?

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

@TheFloosh my suggestion is very specific on what it is you're trying to plan. If you were looking to make a story perhaps you'd use random prompts or themes/genres, and find fun ways to connect them. Brainstorming in this way is used fairly often to try to come up with an idea given a goal, so having the "goal" in the first place is also quite important.

• TheFloosh
    edited March 2020

Ok, thank you