Making good looking lava in Hitfilm

So i have been looking at this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvC9kRfbajE

but some of the settings for the fractal noise is not in hitfilm how would you guys do it?

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,564 Moderator

@danilkp1234 I watched just first part of this really quick and got a fair looking fractal noise using the cooling lava preset and a couple of tweaks to other settings.  I was in a rush to get over to watch the grandkids so I didn't get to the part of missing settings.  What exactly is missing for you?  I do think this would be a lot easier with Blender though, but realize not everyone wants to invest in that learning curve :)

• danilkp1234
    danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78

@tddavis i made some good looking lava but it looks better with a glow effect applied by the edges are now weird looking and very rough 

you can see that their is some small amount of orange around the edges 

• tddavis

@danilkp1234 I think that may be because the glow effect applies to the whole plane that the effect is applied to even the transparent areas.  Not sure if you could use a set matte effect to limit it only to the lava areas.  @FilmSensei might know because he uses it a lot and I have heard him talk about it in tutorials.  One thing I would try if I was working on it would be to trade the glow effect for a gleam effect and see what results it got, but that's is just how I would experiment without be up on set matte.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,021 Ambassador

@tddavis you're going to facepalm. 

Put the glow on a grade layer above the planr, not ON the plane. 

• danilkp1234
    danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78

@Triem23 Oh wow I am stupid just did that and... it worked

• tddavis

@Triem23 D'oh!  Facepalm, indeed. I've got to remember that!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,021 Ambassador

@danilkp1234 @tddavis

It's important to understand that Hitfilm effects can't extend past the actual borders of the plane. Think of a plane layer like a sheet of paper. You can draw anything on it, but the drawing ends at the edge of the sheet. 

But a grade layer forces a render then adds effects - basically adding effects to all layers under.