Mini DV Capturing from sony camcorder

iamkhanproductions
iamkhanproductions Posts: 503 Enthusiast
edited March 2020 in Practical Filmmaking

Hi all, I did filming in uni with mini DV tapes for learning purposes. I still have my tapes and they are still in good quality, I wish to capture them in windows 10, using sony vegas pro 15, some good stuff on my tapes still I wish to edit again.  ( I tried searching forum)

I have the USB 2.0 firewire cable ready to plugin, but it doesn't recognise device, I tried searching everywhere online for usb firewire drivers, so how can this be done nowadays?.

The error I get is "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Thanks

Imran

Comments

• This error will easily solve just go to google.com and search for the solution 

• iamkhanproductions

@alexhales1 hey dude, I tried all over Google. It seems like they discontinued drivers even from Sony.com and are using some third party software to capture. Not very nice to see that happen for my dv camera. 

• chriguf
    chriguf Posts: 287 Enthusiast

I think this issue was the result of turning off the firewire Support in Windows 7 at some later updates. maybee its possible on a old pc with win7 without updates and the right driver for  this Adapter, maybee you Must use a Converter with chinch plugs or s-vhs of special kable. Or you usw some Studios where have very high cost hardware to convert your dv Tapes to Stick 

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

@alexhales1 that's not a particularly helpful comment and does not help the community. Please try to avoid making comments like this in the future.

• Manhit
    Manhit Posts: 59 Enthusiast

Hi Imran,

Is there any chance that you have a free PCI slot in your computer and can add a true firewire interface? You can get these fairly cheaply these days and this will circumvent the firewire to USB problems. This also enables control of the camera with most capture programs. You will need to get the freely available legacy firewire driver for Windows 10. I hope something works out for you.

• iamkhanproductions

@mahit I did think about getting a firewire interface card, but it seems like more work to do lol. I guess I can wait it out for a bit.. 

• iamkhanproductions
    edited March 2020

I ordered one of these , since I have the leads for my camera 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,758 Ambassador

@iamkhanproductions Hope that works for you. Definitely suggest you capture with the S-Video connector rather than the yellow composite input. 

I have a bunch of DV tapes and a Sony DV deck.  If ever need to recapture any of that I was planning on buying a dedicated Firewire card (which surprisingly is not too expensive - yet).  Will be interested to hear how your USB stick works.

• iamkhanproductions

@stargazer54 should have it by tomorrow, so I can have fun with it on the weekend.. I'll keep you posted!.. 

• Manhit
    Manhit Posts: 59 Enthusiast

Hi,

The composite and S-video to USB adapters can work surprising well but there will be a slight degradation in video quality compared to a firewire transfer. There can occasionally  be audio sync issues with some units. I have seen great results with the one you ordered.

• iamkhanproductions

thank you for the heads up @manhit

cheers.

• iamkhanproductions

okay.. my cable arrived today this afternoon, I installed the drivers it came with, but I can hear audio, but no video, so its got something on this cable, am I connecting all the cables properly? should all red, white, yellow cables be connected?

It was along time ago when I captured mini dv tapes in uni, like 15 years ago.. So I have probably forgotten or just didn't know yet.. But sony vegas pro 15 is saying, conexant polaris video capture is being used by another programme. but what?

please help!

cheers.

• iamkhanproductions

all is well now after a bit of research by myself.. I managed to capture and edit a really old music video I filmed with green screen.. 

i filmed this in one take, i was so proud.. the talent was so impressed with it back then.. haha.. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,604 Ambassador

Ok, now that you've got your footage capturing, let me drop the next bomb on you. 

DV footage is INTERLACED. So, if shooting at standard NTSC frame rate of 30fps (really 29.97, but not important) then it's really shooting half frames at 60 fps... (if shooting PAL 25 fps then you're shooting half frames at 50 fps). The camera captures scan lines 2, 4, 6, 8, etc then goes back for 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.

Hitfilm doesn't like interlaced footage and wants everything to be PROGRESSIVE (shooting all scan lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc at the real frame rate). 

You have two ways of dealing with this: you can either add a Deinterlace filter in Hitfilm to every DV clip you add to a Hitfilm timeline - which is tedious - or you can transcode the footage to a progressive format before import to Hitfilm. This will obviously take a certain amount of time, but it's something that's done once (and can batch overnight) instead of adding a Deinterlace each and every time you add a clip to a Hitfilm timeline.

Vegas itself can be used to batch-transcode everything to a progressive format, but dedicated programs like Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip are free and will be faster than Vegas at transcoding. 

• iamkhanproductions

Thanks for the juicy information @triem23

• iamkhanproductions

This thread can be closed now.

Cheers

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,113 Expert

@iamkhanproductions I own an old Sony 8mm camera with a bunch of videos myself. I was thinking about running the footage into a DVD recorder and then transcoding the DVDs through Handbrake. I am interested to see how your solution has panned out. Can you please keep us updated?

• iamkhanproductions

@filmsensei oh yes, my bad I thought I put it up, I downloaded NCH VHS software for free 

here 

https://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/index.html

It did a better job than virtuadub, perfect sound and video!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,758 Ambassador
    edited March 2020

@FilmSensei I think you would have better luck using the USB capture solution or Firewire card than washing through the DVD recorder.  If I remember correctly the DVD recorder is going to encode as mpeg2.  Going to be quite a bit of loss. IMHO you would get better  quality capturing S-Video from the USB device.

I have a Sony DVCam deck and have been thinking about digitizing old raw footage and doing re-edits on some ancient projects.  I have both Firewire and S-vid out on the deck.  A firewire card is about the same price as the USB thingy but that doesn't take up a slot.   I was hoping to hear from @iamkhanproductions how S-Vid looked.

• iamkhanproductions

@stargazer54 I have only captured one clip so far from the S-video USB cable, so I cant judge weather if its perfect for you at the moment, I have shown a screen capture of hitfilm with picture of footage I captured and with NCH software did a better job than virtuadub .

cheers