Looking for a script writer (willing to pay on a budget)

iamkhanproductionsiamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 186 Enthusiast

Hi all, i am looking for a script writer who can help me make a short film for five minutes, idea is still a concept, but you could help me make the idea grow.

It's basically about a dragon being spotted in an urban suburb area adventure/fantasy genre.

So if you are a script writer and interested in helping out, I'm willing to contribute.

I have some clips done from hitfilm with a 3d model dragon. I can show you.

cheers

Imran

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@imyimyimy786 The rule of thumb back when I tried my hand a t writing freelance was 1 page script equals roughly 1 minute screen time.  So you are only talking 5 to 8 pages.  Don't pay someone a ton for that amount of time.  To keep your vision of what you want, you should jot down some of what you want action-wise, characters you have actors for etc.  It will be helpful for it be something you want, and you may find that from the notes and rough ideas you write out 5 - 8 pages would be easy for you to do on your own.

• iamkhanproductionsiamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 186 Enthusiast

Thanks @tddavis .. I can totally understand that, so therefore I have taken some time away from editing and looking into script structures online on how to layout a proper script..  I suppose after all you want something done right you do it yourself no?

cheers

Imran

@imyimyimy786 Well, it will surely keep the vision you have in mind without a lot of extra input.  But as far as formats; I would not worry to much about that unless you plan to submit to a studio or something.  As long as you can follow the script you write you're all good.  Besides, stressing about the proper format disrupts the flow of the story in my opinion.  Just scribble it down on paper any way you can follow it later and get the entire story like you want it and then you can retype it into proper format if you think it needs it.  I'll put the first page of a script I was working on about 10 years ago when I packed it in and devoted all my time to learning VFX up on my dropbox if you want to download it.  It may not be what the standard is today for submission but it is a functional format...at least I think.  I make no claims as to the quality of the writing though as I never managed to get any interest in anything I wrote.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwz0ktzr6p1t1j7/AADITVaXqIcoeeAGoMLuVS4Qa?dl=0

thank you @tddavis , I will take the time to look at it soon.  Don't worry about it being up to date, I remember the struggles writing a script back in college for media studies and it was a struggle for me and since I finished college I have been getting other script writers to help me with projects.

I could show you a short film I did when I was studying ?..

@imyimyimy786 Sure thing, you could even create your own post in the User Forum and share a link with everyone. I don't think anyone will mind it was done a while back before you started using Hitfilm.  A lot of my posts are only Hitfilm-adjacent as I render a lot of PNG sequences in Blender then make them into a vid in Hitfilm, but none has told me it's verbotten. :)

edited February 29

@tddavis okay awesome, but I don't really want to overwhelm myself with more threads, I would like to email you a drop box link for it, if I can?

I did a lot of work with DV tape filming that could do pal DV widescreen 1080 back in the day before hitfilm was around, now I film with DSLR camera and mobile phone and just recently picked up a DJI mavic mini, its crazy how filming has changed over the years. 

cheers.

@tddavis, okay I emailed you. 

cheers..

@imyimyimy786 You certainly nailed the accent from around my parts of the country :) and you tapped into the zeitgeist of the current state of veteran PTSD.  I will say I saw what was about to happen in the last scene because a little edge of the tank behind where he was sitting kind of clued me in, so I wasn't taken by surprise, but overall it was well done.

haha thank you @tddavis, glad you enjoyed it!.. :) 

@tddavis, can I email you my script of what I have done so far?.. 

cheers

@tddavis I have sent it you :) 

This thread can be solved now, now I have started the script.. Thanks!.

This discussion has been closed.