Lag in the Viewer on Mac

christophthalechristophthale Website User Posts: 4
edited February 25 in HitFilm

Hi, 

my video is totally lagging in the viewer panel. How do I solve this problem? 

Using a MacBook Pro and it should not do any problems. In the container of the trimmer everything works nice. 

Greets

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@christophthale could you provide exact specs if possible? Have you applied any effects or anything to your footage in the viewer? The format of your footage could also have an effect here, so could you also tell us a breakdown of your footage using MediaInfo?

• christophthalechristophthale Website User Posts: 4

2,9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

macOS Catalina

The footage is just a normal 1080p, 50fps shot. With iMovie there are no problems.

I did not add a single effect or something to the footage. It is just the footage. It got lags like playing 1 frame per second. 

• christophthalechristophthale Website User Posts: 4

I mean with these lags in the viewer - which is actually the most important part in a video editing tool - it is not possible to work with. That makes me sad.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@christophthale what is the format of the footage, your machine is in spec so the only other obvious potential issue I'm not entirely sure.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast
    edited February 24

1080 50 isn't easy to playback in real time, and igpu don't do hardware decoding of .mp4 assuming h.264 in HitFilm. And if I'm not entirely wrong, your CPU only has 2 cores with not hyper threading, meaning you're already at a disadvantage to playback demanding video, before factoring in software differences.

The difference you notice between HitFilm and iMovie playback could simply be that it's playing back in a QuickSync enabled NLE vs a non QuickSync enabled NLE for I assume decode as well as encode, having trouble finding a white paper on that but seems the most likely reason.