Camera Gimbals at an affordable price

StormyKnight
StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador

I ordered one of these today because it was on clearance and thought I'd let others know what I found in a place I wouldn't have expected. Upon looking around the website I found all kinds of reasonably priced camera stabilizers for a lot less than you would pay from a "professional" camera outlet. Yup- I found this on Walmart.com. So just to let you indie film makers know.....here's a place that has affordable gimbals.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Handheld-Video-Camera-Stabilizer-Steady-for-GoPro-Smartphone-Cannon-Nikon-or-any-DSLR-camera-up-to-2-1-lbs-With-Smooth-Pro-Steady-Glide-Cam/360988064

All of these are so reasonably priced it's kinda hard to believe. I read through a few reviews and majority of them had nothing but praise for some of these stabilizers.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=camera%20stabilizers

Hope this helps some of you who don't have a lot of $$$ to drop on a whim.

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,979 Ambassador

Before you unpack it, be warned these are fiddly to setup and use. I have one in the loft that frankly has seen little use. I found it tricky and needs a lot of practice. These days you can get an electronic gimble version for around $99 more money but it will work so much better. Good luck, hope it does what you need.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,553 Moderator

@Andy001z I agree 100%.  I bought very similar to the 1st one in the bottom row of the page the 2nd link opens from Wal-Mart a few years ago, and I've only played with it a few times and used it for a couple of events.  If you really need it, it is great to have but it's a luxury more than anything in my opinion.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,158 Moderator

Personally, my favorite cheap handheld stabilizer has been one of these pistol-grip mini tripods like this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PTQC99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EdStEbWM0DVFW

They don’t work as well with heavier cameras, but if you’re using a phone or something they are amazing for stabilization and getting a solid grip on your camera without the chance of your fingers getting in the shot

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast
    edited February 2020

Its crazy how inexpensive these things have become. I remember seeing a glidecam for hundreds. Makes me wonder if some large companies has expired patents.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador

I got the gimbal but I haven't had time to try it yet. I hear what some of you are saying but after trying to build my own out of PVC pipe (which was REALLY hard to balance and never did quite get it right) it's nice to have one that, at first glance and handling, seems to be pro level. I know it has limitations but for select scenes this will come in handy. I'll let you all know how it goes after I test it later this week. 

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,553 Moderator

@StormyKnight All other opinions and experiences are secondary to your happiness with the device. Glad you got something you like.