Live with Sensei on Saturday, February 22, 2020: 3D Model Workflows with Mike Miller (Triem23)!

FilmSensei
FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,735 Ambassador

I am happy to be hosting @Triem23 (Mike Miller with Triem Visual) on Saturday, February 22, 2020 at Noon PST, 3pm EST, 8pm GMT. He will be talking about 3D Model Workflows.  Set your reminder now!

Comments

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,475 Enthusiast

Ooo. Looking forward to this. ?

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,009 Ambassador

Well, that will be a good episode for sure!

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,553 Moderator

Yep, set my reminder today.  Another one to record and archive for certain.

• FilmSensei
    edited February 2020

@tddavis What I would do is keep a notepad nearby and note any time stamp of something important. Then I can quickly go back and review the things I thought were the most important and make more detailed notes after the fact.

@GrayMotion @Stargazer54 I am really looking forward to it also! :)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,998 Ambassador

I'll try to live up to expectations. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

Do or do not. There is no try. ?

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,553 Moderator

@FilmSensei That is actually a very good idea.  I record a few of these and don't annotated them in any way; just give them a descriptive name.

• FilmSensei

Don't forget! Today at 3pm EST, @Triem23 and I are talking about 3D Model Workflows...the best practices for getting your models set up in Hitfilm. Set your reminder now!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,009 Ambassador

Wish I could join you all today.  Will have to miss. Decent weather here today so I will be out leading the  Saturday club bike ride.   Have a good show!

• FilmSensei

@Stargazer54 We will miss you, but I hope you have a great time outside in the nice weather!

Everyone else, we are only about 90 minutes away from an epic live stream with @Triem23 talking about the best practices for getting your models set up in Hitfilm!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,998 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 have a good ride. I've just been bringing things in from the rain. 

• FilmSensei

Thanks to @Triem23 for teaching all about models today!

• Triem23

? Yup, had a few neat tips, I think! 

I still can't figure out why that one model refused to load. Especially since it loads from its project file! 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "I still can't figure out why that one model refused to load. Especially since it loads from its project file! "

The project file copies and contains the geometry after initial load. Only the textures remain on disk.

Maybe something changed in Hitfilm from the time you originally loaded the LWO into Hitfilm and created the project file. A regression of some kind.

• JBaymore
    JBaymore Website User Posts: 337 Enthusiast

Thanks @Triem23 .  I was lurking for a while.  Learned a lot.

best,

..............john

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,950 Ambassador

Ah man, sucks about that model not loading. :(

I've experienced the same thing in several forms many, many years ago while working on a huge project with Simon Jones. Let me tell you, this ran us ragged with a few sleepless nights trying to figure it out. It totally slipped my mind that this could happen to someone else so I never mentioned the cause  and or possible solutions.

In the worst case, you may have accidentally overwritten the original lwo object in an attempt to save it as a Composite shot or the new way, to save a Hitfilm project in the same folder as your 3D object.

This happens when you save a 3D object to a Composite shot but this will only happen if you forget to remove the lwo extension from the name of the Composite shot. Hitfilm will overwrite your original 3D file extension making your original 3D object unusable. This is in the worst case as I said but there is no coming back for your 3D object unless you have a backup somewhere. You can try this...

Close and restart Hitfilm, you already tried during the livestream but it should normally work.

Shut down and restart your computer, then restart Hitfilm, I've only had to do this once but it worked.

I've not had any problems in Hitfilm v14 with moving 3D assets to another folder or even another hard drive. This latest release always finds the model and textures, even if the 3D asset is a duplicate and is placed in several different locations.

• Triem23

@spydurhank

Yeah, I can't figure out what happened there.

Now, I do know I haven't saved over the original geometry with the comp shot/project. For one thing, I redownloaded the model the night before the stream and it was the re-downloaded model I was attempting to open!

I even re-downloaded the model one more time just now for another test. For whatever reason, this same model that, at some point, I obviously loaded into Hitfilm (Hitfilm Ultimate 2, initially) now won't open in either Open3D model viewer OR import to Blender (using Blender 2.77 and the lwo import plugin, which hasn't been released for 2.8x yet).

It's like the original model broke somehow?

I'm at a loss.

Was a bit embarrassing at the time as I'd spent most of the previous day actually doing a dry run of things I wanted to discuss while typing up my notes at the same time.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,950 Ambassador

@Triem23 ,

The same thing happened to Simon and I. 3D objects would either not open in Hitfilm or would import with visible shading errors For example,

We had several copies of the same 3D object on our machines and a backup on dropbox. One moment everything is running nice and smooth and then suddenly the next day, all copies as well as the backup on dropbox and the original 3D file were currupted. It was a little weird becuase when I built a new 3D object and retopologized it, Hitfilm would still not open the models correctly. Normals and uvs would import mangled which was very noticeable  when you apply a normal map and especially a bump map. 

We never really figured out what was happening but there was either a glitch in the software or both Simon and I accidentally made the same mistake at the same time. It happens.

Where can we download that 3D object to see what could be happening? The 3d Phoenix model is beautiful by the way. :)