Laptop for Hitfilm & Blender

webbo30webbo30 Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

Hi all, just after a bit of advise, I'm in need of a new laptop, and have seen an ACER Nitro 5 AN515-54 in Currys (live in the UK) I have a budget of about £600. I know a Desktop would be better, but it's a laptop I need. just after some advice if the below specs would be ok, (also want to run blender on it too)

Appreciate any help or guidance, I'm ok with software and programs, but get lost a little with Graphic cards and processors.

many thanks

Operating system Windows 10
PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor
- Quad-core
- 2.3 GHz / 4.0 GHz
- 8 MB cache
RAM 8 GB DDR4 (2600 MHz)
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- 3 GB GDDR5
Storage

256 GB SSD

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,913 Enthusiast

If you're set on that laptop, yes - it'll do just fine for that purpose.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@webbo30 As a Blender student/user 8GB memory is cutting it a bit thin.  Some of the physic sims can be very intensive. For example, yesterday I was playing with the Beach Wave tutorial from Youtube and set my resolution quite high to get better detail (500) and it took 21 hours to bake the 450 frame scene and then another 15 hours to render the images.  This is with an 8 core AMD 4 ghz CPU and 32 GB RAM and a 6GB Geforce 1060.  Now, the exporting time has noticeably improved for me since I added an SSD for the OS and programs and one for Exports with advice from CNK on that and I shudder to think what it would have been like before.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,359 Enthusiast

Also the 3gb on the GPU is lite in my IMHO for Blender. 6 or more. I have many renders that push 4gb a frame. Might get a lot of Cuda errors with 3gb depending on how complex your scenes progress over time.

edited February 13

@GrayMotion I agree. But £600 is £600 (actually £649 judging by the listing), and that's not a lot to spend on a laptop ment for anything but very light work. 

I don't think the projects would crash per say, but a humoungus slowdown because VRAM is super fast because it's so close to the GPU. RAM is probably the realistic improvement here, which would be done after purchase because at this price range these come bundled with 8 GB, if you want a decent CPU and GPU alongside it.

The GPUs you'll find at this price are the 1050 3 GB and 560x 4 GB. They're about equal in performance and the 560x should edge out the 1050 in Blender, but not HitFilm, about equal there too. 1 GB more VRAM included with the 560x may be worth it for you. It's also the min requirement for a 4k workflow on HitFilm's end. 

It's definitely a jungle out there, but if I was in your shoes, I would save up some more to at least hit the £700-£750 mark. That's where low end truly starts as a 1050 is considered to be just below low end in the current market.

• webbo30webbo30 Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

Many thanks, i might have another look, I'm not a heavy user as such, it is more for casual, hobby bits. I just don't want to buy one with a graphics card that won't run either. thanks again.

Thanks again for your advice, I've seen the below, do you think this would be better?

I have been using my wife's laptop an Acer ES1 531. but the below looks ok... maybe?

ASUS TUF FX505 15.6in R5 8GB 512GB GTX1650

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5-3550H processor.
    • Quad core processor.
    • 2.1GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 3.7GHz.
    • 8GB RAM DDR4.
    • 512GB SSD storage.
    • Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
    • High definition display.
    • Full HD Display.
    • Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
    • Refresh rate120Hz.

Graphics:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 graphics card with 4GB RAM GDDR5.
    • Shared graphics card.
    edited February 19

Yes, it is absolutely worth it if it's within your expected price range. 

Compared to the laptop you listed originally, it has

Almost double GPU performance + 1 GB more VRAM

Slightly weaker CPU, emphasis on slightly...

120 Hz screen is a nice bonus, it's super nice to use for all things, especially gaming and if you use a draw tablet (I use one on a 144 Hz and it's incredible), much more responsive overall.

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast

@CNK, when it rains it pours ;-)

cool. thank you once again for your time and advice. much appreciated @CNK

@CNK forgive me, last question I promise. the above laptop is £699 however, there is the same model number for £799 with these differences:

• 1TB HDD storage.
    • 256GB SSD storage.
    • Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card with 4GB RAM GDDR5.
    • Dedicated graphics card.

I don't have the extra cash at the moment, but worth saving for? not sure if those specs make it worth the extra?

put the two links below incase I haven't put the right info. once again many thanks.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7318984

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9306767

edited February 20

Daylight robbery. Go with the £699 option (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7318984), if you can afford it. Its just including a 1 TB hard drive, which sells for £30-£40, while taking away 256 GB of SSD space, £20-£30.

To reiterate, if I was in your shoes, I wouldnt buy anything below the GTX 1650 tier. It may be worth saving up just to at least be able to afford that.

Beyond this, youll start reaching the point where youll spend £50-£100 more and get a bit more performance as a result. Below the GTX 1650 tier however, the jump in price - 600 to 700 (1050 to 1650), equals almost twice the performance. 

Dont be afraid to ask questions. Nobody will take offense.

Thank you for your help. Be handy if you could actually try out laptops/pcs with programs you want to use before purchase. Really appreciate the help, Going to go for the £699 option, hopefully in the next month or two. :)

Thanks again.

edited February 21

"Thank you for your help. Be handy if you could actually try out laptops/pcs with programs you want to use before purchase." 

Happy to help.

That would be ideal, but you can get within 5% by just reading benchmarks, drivers and general hardware manuals/tests/specs.

"Going to go for the £699 option, hopefully in the next month or two."

Good choice. You would still be happy with the GTX 1050 option coming from what you already have, but your money is better spent on that £699 configuration. It might feel like a long wait, but it's gonna be well worth it. Once you have it in front of you, you'll forget you waited. :)