Object removal test.

rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
Occasionally you need to remove something from your footage. You should always try to avoid the 'fix it in post' mentality, but sometimes it happens, so I've been playing with various tools and techniques. For fun, I wanted to see what it would take to remove the hand/phone coming into this BTS shot on a cell phone. No real need to remove it, other than curiosity.
The bulk of the removal was done with Mocha Pro, however, it left artifacts on 11 frames. I'm new to Mocha, so it's possible it could have handled it, but I couldn't get it to do it.
I used Twixtor to recreate those 11 frames based on the two good frames at either end that Mocha created, then used Hitfilm to track the shake in the original, and apply it to the frames Twixtor created.
I spent a lot of time 'playing' around with this, mostly trying to get Mocha to do the whole thing, which didn't work out, so it's hard to say how long something like this would take to do, but just guessing, if I was to start from scratch, it would probably take about 30 minutes, plus some render time.
https://vimeo.com/93340397

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Well, I couldn't tell from the 'after' clip that the phone had ever been there. Great job!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador
    And that was a tricky removal, since that phone occluded a moving actor! Excellent job!
  • SpectralisSpectralis Website User Posts: 12
    edited May 2014
    That's really great work and if it took only 30 mins that's even more encouraging.  I wouldn't have attempted something like this thinking it might take many hours of work.  I don't own Twixtor so if there's some way to do it all in Mocha then that would be very useful.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador
    Actually, since Twixtor is generally a time-remap tool, I have to say, it's pretty *profanity* clever to use it's interpolation functions as frame-patching. Way to think outside the box on that!
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    That's really great work and if it took only 30 mins that's even more encouraging.  I wouldn't have attempted something like this thinking it might take many hours of work.  I don't own Twixtor so if there's some way to do it all in Mocha then that would be very useful.

As I mentioned, I spent a lot of time playing with it, trying to learn the ins and outs of Mocha.  The 30 minutes is just a guess of how long it would take if I'd have known what I was doing before hand :)
    Now that I know more about it, future stuff *should* be faster.

Actually, since Twixtor is generally a time-remap tool, I have to say, it's pretty *profanity* clever to use it's interpolation functions as frame-patching. Way to think outside the box on that!

I wish I could take full credit for it.  I remembered seeing a tutorial somewhere on twixtor of someone fixing a frame where a flash had gone off. Having also spent time 'playing' with twixtor, I was pretty sure it could handle it.
    After fixing it with twixtor, it looked odd since all of the footage was shaky, except for the smooth 1/3 of a second twixtor fixed.  Took no time at all to track the shakiness with Hitfilm and match it up.

Meant to mention, in most of my other tests that are not as extreme as this, Mocha Pro does an impressive job of removing things.
    Here's what it looked like with just Mocha. There was a light change behind the one puppet (I think from the owner of the hand & phone) from before and after the phone coming into frame, plus the puppet moved a bit.
    Between those two things, Mocha left some artifacts.  It has a more advanced mode called interpolate that is supposed to do a much better job, but I could never get it to cooperate at all, plus it increased the render time a LOT.
    https://vimeo.com/93448947
    Getting it to that point in Mocha Pro would take 10-15 minutes.

• CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    WOW It is so scary what we can do now of days.... now i need to get me a copy of mocha pro! Waiting for a 99$ deal! (yes I'm a student)
    I've never seen a $99 deal--best I saw was last year for $299--when I jumped on it.
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
    Wow rgbii - great technique and a near flawless result. Getting the scene to continue seamlessly with a moving actor having been obscured is a huge challenge - and to hear you could do it in just 30 minutes is really encouraging. 
    Keep experimenting - I'll be interested to see what you discover next!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Impressive, most impressive.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Very interesting and very impressive. Looks very good.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,828 Ambassador
    Very, very cool.  :) 
  • ivanhurbaivanhurba Website User Posts: 27
    That is simply astounding! I can't imagine getting a clean result like that and on that short amount of time. Congratulations!
  • rigomrtsfxrigomrtsfx Website User Posts: 2
    cool nice work!