Hitfilm plugin contrasts my selected clip automatically in sony vegas Timeline Help Needed.

AbubakarDurraniAbubakarDurrani Website User Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Post-production techniques
as i add the hitfilm plugin on my video in the Sony Vegas timeline it contrasts my selected clip automatically especially when the footage is taken at night it becomes completely unusable the shadows become very dark Contrasted  how can i prevent hitfilm from doing that i almost tried all formats but its the same for every video i usually work on DSLR footage is it the problem in the video levels or what  please answer .? 
for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jkiso2FLnw
at 1:25 as he clicks the Hitfilm plugin if you look closely you can see the change in the video

Comments

• mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    for some types of codec hitfilm assumes the footage is 16 - 235 in vegas terms and if you pass it 0 - 255 it will hard clip it like you are seeing which I guess is what's happening and you can't fix it with levels in either vegas or hitfilm it appears to happen internaly when it reads the clip in hitfilm I had the same problem with my dslr footage.  I've found it leaves dhxhd as is from a levels point of view so would recommend trans-coding to that if you know you are going to be using hitfilm as you are using vegas you can transcode it with that.  It also runs smoother in hitfilm and vegas as it's more of an editing codec rather than the compressed codecs most DLSR's produce so I just do it as a matter of course now anyway.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    My understanding is that it's because Vegas uses Studio RGB while everyone else uses Computer RGB, there is a preset in the Sony Levels to change the color from Studio to Computer RGB.
    My understanding is that it's because Vegas uses Studio RGB while everyone else uses Computer RGB, there is a preset in the Sony Levels to change the color from Studio to Computer RGB.

I'm happy to be wrong as always but I don't think that is the issue, you can test it if you export a 0 - 100 gradient map in a .mp4 wrapper and the same gradient as dhxnd and .mov , open both in hitfilm and check with scopes you'll see the mp4 one gets clipped and you can't fix that with levels as it's actually clipped.  Apologies if I have this wrong but I'm 99% sure that's what i was seeing consistently when I did initial testing and noticed the issue as the OP posted ages ago.

• AbubakarDurraniAbubakarDurrani Website User Posts: 2
    Thank you for the Fast reply guys

Simon K Jones
    i already tried that didn't wrok Dude
    mark_e
    Thanks i converted the video which i will be working on in Hitfilm as well and this time the result is good enough so do i have to convert every clip i have to edit in Vegas of just the one that i am also going to edit in Hitfilm is there no way just to edit the original file and do tell me some good trans-coding software and in Sony Vegas do i leave the Pixel format to 8-Bit as it is or do it have to do something with it also .?
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for the Fast reply guys Simon K Jones i already tried that didn't wrok Dude
    mark_e Thanks i converted the video which i will be working on in Hitfilm as well and this time the result is good enough so do i have to convert every clip i have to edit in Vegas of just the one that i am also going to edit in Hitfilm is there no way just to edit the original file and do tell me some good trans-coding software and in Sony Vegas do i leave the Pixel format to 8-Bit as it is or do it have to do something with it also .?

You could approach it several ways, (and others may have better ideas but this is how I work)
    You can install quicktime and the latest Avid Codec pack (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-Codecs-LE-2-3-9)
    Then in vegas in the quicktime render templates you can set up a custom template for DHxND there's a PDF here (http://www.avid.com/static/resources/US/documents/dnxhd.pdf) giving details on the best format for 8bit .  8bit 145 is probably the best bet for general usage from dslr unless you are doing high frame rate or have something fancy that records a really high bitrate.  Make sure you select the correct setting from the drop down box in the template as well as what is in the template it's self.
    Once you have that set up I'll either just work with the footage in vegas and do a rough edit then if I want to do something with hitfilm I'll right click on that clip and choose render to new track as DNxHD and then replace the clip with that and use hitfilm.  If everything is going through hitfilm depending in which version of vegas you have you could use vegas to do a bulk transcode using the vegas or many people here use stream clip (http://www.squared5.com/ ) I've not used it myself but plenty of folks seem to successfully and I'm going to have a look next time I have a new project on the go.
    With regard to 8bit or 32 bit in vegas (and 16 bit in hitfilm) I approach it like this, In both I work in 8 bit, if you are just doing some basic color correction etc. I'll leave it at 8 bit for the render.  If you are doing stuff like blending gradient maps, adding flares, gleam glows vignettes etc.etc. in either vegas or hitfilm I'll always flip both to 32 and 16 bit respectively to minimize the banding you get with 8bit but only when I'm ready to render it will up the render time in both so save it for when you are nearly ready for the final.  If you render out to DNxHD it will capture this additional information and it makes a difference even if your source footage is 8 bit because of the maths involved  If i want the best I can do for youtube I'll render out to DNxHD then use handbrake for the youtube render.  You might want to add some random noise or grain as well if you have a lot of effects with gradients as it helps the final render to 8bit 4:2:0 if that is what you are delivering but visualy breaking up any banding and hiding it.
    Also if you use the hitfilm to vegas link to can use vegas to proxy the hitfilm files if you have a lot of effects in the hifilm part this helps when you are reviewing.   Using vegas to render out also gives you a lot more export options as well but don't forget that the link to hifilm from vegas is effectively using hitfilm as a frame server hitfilm still has to do all the calculations it would have to so if you have stuff with really heavy effects you might be better working in hitfilm directly and then either use vegas to render out in a separate project or render out to png from hitfilm and import the png sequence if you want best quality.
    One other tip when using vegas with hitfilm, I keep my hitfilm projects in separate folders if you point sony vegas at a whole folder full of hitfilm files and have thumbnail turned on it's going to have to set up a link to each one to get the thumbnail etc. that can slow things down so I tend to keep them in a separate folder or turn thumbnails off in vegas.  Neither software really doing anything wrong it is what it is and if you have high complexity hitfilm projects there is no magic happens here button at some point the cpu and gpu will have to get going to render what you have :-)
    that's my tip for the day hope it's useful!

• dancerchrisdancerchris Website User Posts: 76 Just Starting Out
    Rendering from vegas eliminates the beauty of the integration of Vegas and HF, i.e. maintaining an edit list rather than various stages of render.  Better to convert files to an intermediate codec (DNxHD or ProRes) prior to VP, you can do it selectively on the files you need to port to HF and just do a replace media in VP prior to exporting to HF.  My personal wish is that HF would figure out how to handle AVCHD files the way some of the other NLEs have (including VP).  It would save on disk space, but I do understand the nature of the compute heavy codec.