Star technique from Video Copilot

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
http://youtu.be/Ff0rdzVROeA
I always try to share cool things I find on the internet, especially if it carries over to hitfilm.  Well here is a tutorial by Andrew Kramer on making a rather cool sun/star.  
Is there a way to streamline  the independent tut making process? I know from my own it can take a bit of work.  What about a photo gallery of screen shots on those projects that turn out so well that making a tut would be a lot of effort and a lengthy video.  That way you don't have to do it twice... Just screen caps and either writing the settings or details next to it?

Comments

• CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Lols wish I coud do that in hitfilm!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Caleb: what's stopping you? :) Pretty much everything in that tute can be translated across to HitFilm, one way or another.
    The only real hurdle is a glitch with HitFilm's sphere effect on some GPUs, which we're looking into.
  • mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    Lols wish I coud do that in hitfilm!

You can, here's my first attempt from a while back (I just made it up didn't follow a course) , it's not a million miles off, needs a bit more detail and I never got around to doing heat haze with displacement but you could easily, that's 100% hitfilm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXN9t1gDPZ0

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador
    edited April 2014
    Actually, it's easier do do in Hitfilm, since you don't have to mess around with expressions--just link your sphere to a 3D point!
    3D layers in Hitfilm have an "Align to camera" option, so that's easy. EDIT: (Aligning a layer to Camera in hitfilm seems to prevent z-axis rotation, so, when I got around to trying this technique myself, I just moved the "torch" layers into position. For a simple push, this isn't a big deal. If my camera were going to fly around my sun, I'd have to add a couple of steps.)
    After that, it just playing with fractal noise, elliptical masks, and some glows!
    Most of Andrew Kramer's AE tutorials are pretty easy to adapt to Hitfilm. Caleb, I betcha if you sat down to try it, you could have a good sun in less than two hours. :-)
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    edited April 2014
    Yah, I saw that tutorial when it came out...been planning to try replicating it in Hitfilm myself too sometime soon (been too bogged down lately working on music instead of the visual end of the spectrum...gotta do something about that!).
    Like Simon and Triem23 said - I didn't really see anything that couldn't be worked out in HF in a fairly straightforward way.  :) 
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    This is the effect I came up with following this tutorial last week:
    http://youtu.be/_29SDgCaI2E
    Not identical, but it definitely translates.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Very nice work Axel.
    I cant really think of a tutorial that ive seen that cant be replicated in hitfilm with the exception of tuts that used effects that arent in the software.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,828 Ambassador
    Nice job Axel. Looks really good.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Axel you almost have Sauron's eye :)
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador
    edited April 2014
    Well, browsing the movie wall, I often come across uploaded posts that are obviously Hitfilm versions of Andrew Kramer's tut's. The majority of his AE tutorials can be "translated" into a similar effect in Hitfilm, although results may vary (like with the recent star tutorial--because of the different character of Hitfilm's noise generators. Obviously Hitfilm lacks expressions, so one has to find creative workarounds for those. Anything Element 3D related is iffy, since Hitfilm doesn't do IK or have world pass maps. But "turbulent displacement" can be fairly well recreated by animating a fractal noise, using that as a displacement map. But I digress...)
    As far as taking the time to record a full "translated" tutorial for Hitfilm--well, I already have a backlog of tuts I consider more valuable to the Hitfilm community I haven't had time to do yet. I would rather get to "3D particle cloning" than "Andrew Kramer star in Hitfilm."
    Heck, Win, I would rather see more of your neat tutorials on generating procedural elements than you adapting Videocopilot effects! You did a few fun things with lightning I never would have thought of.
    (Besides, I think I covered translating the star to Hitfilm in text, above. Wrap some noise around a sphere. Add fractal noise planes for solar flares. Add glow. The beauty of the effect is that it's really rather basic. :-) )
    edited April 2014
    Oh, I'm not saying his tutorial's aren't important--hey, obviously I watch them too. ;-) (The title card for my "Particle Invasion: LA" animations use techniques adapted from his recent "volumetric light" tutorial). Andrew Kramer has excellent command of his tools, he explains his techniques well and he's entertaining. Every Hitfilm user should be watching Videocopilot tutorials!
    However, since, as you correctly point out, Hitfilm and After Effects are totally different beasts, I suppose what I mean by "Important" is that I would rather see tutorials taking advantage of the unique features of Hitfilm than attempting to adapt an AE effect. Using my own too-long-forthcoming "3D Particle Clones" tutorial as my example again--I have a reasonably viable, fairly powerful workaround to cheat 3D objects as particle sources, which is something that crops up often on the wishlist, and is something that I've had several users express interest in learning. It's a neat trick, and it's the kind of thing that doesn't translate over to After Effects at all--it's really a Hitfilm only trick. So I'd rather try to find to time to do that tutorial, or a tutorial on how I'm experimenting with Depth Fog to fake Z-passes (Another technique that really has no place in AE) than a translation of an AE tut.
    Now, of course much of this is my own personal bias--I'm older and have more experience with other software than many Hitfilm users, so I can look at an AE tutorial, and pretty much know immediately how to adapt it for Hitfilm. But I'd still rather see the creators of Hitfilm tutorials focus on the things Hitfilm's tooset does well than on trying to adapt something from AE. :-)
    For the record--I tried a pass at an Andrew Kramer style star myself. Yes, the differences between Hitfilm's noise and AE's noise generators make it a lot harder to get flamelike tendrils, but, start to finish, I banged one out in about 40 minutes. Now that I've done it Kramer-style, it's time to play with Hitfilm's different tools and see what happens--maybe Hitfilm's procedural fire generator would give me a better corona element source! Maybe some light rays or gleam will make it look more luminous. Dunno yet. Unfortunately, I go to work as soon as I finish this post, so I won't get to play with this again for a couple of days. :(
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited April 2014
    I'm not entirely sure what you're on about, Tooshka. :) Are you expecting somebody to actually convert all of Kramer's tutorials to HitFilm tutorials? Nobody was suggesting that be done, and it'd be a waste of time because it's already pretty easy to follow his tutorials - it's simply that most of the content in most of his tutorials can be directly applied in HitFilm. If you struggle with that, then fair enough. :)
    I learned a huge number of techniques in HitFilm directly from Kramer's tutorials, so I know for certain that his tutorials are hugely useful and relevant. The only real stumbling block tends to come with expressions, though there's often a workaround.
    There's definitely space for a Fractal Noise 2.0 in HitFilm - that can go on the wishlist.

It is a sad fact that he has not show any interest in Hitfilm whatsoever, hopefully that will change when/if they support a plugin format that he can port his plugins to.

I didn't know you had a direct line to what Andrew Kramer is or isn't interested in? :)
    We've had an on-going dialogue with VCP for years now - we've sold some of their products in the past and most recently met up with Andrew at NAB. Interesting stuff going on there.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2014
    *Edit. Took mine down.
    I already know which Videocopilot tutorials I will 1:1. ;-)

Oh, and since I lost one of my jobs tonight, I should have time tomorrow! :-)
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
    Sorry to hear you lost one of your jobs Triem :( Although since you followed it up with a smiley, I imagine the thought of potentially filling your life with HitFilm is just too sweet!
    Run karaoke for drunken, off-key people who don't tip, or be creative? The preference is clear.
    edited May 2014
    Oh, yeah, this is where I was before work last night:
    http://youtu.be/JDCZMS8fgoQ
    Cuz, why not... Only minor thing of note here is that, for the corona layers, I modified the source fractal noise with some "Find Edges" and blur, then sharpening. Gave a bit of a different look. all the fractals are moving too fast for my taste. A star is vastly huge, and, really, all the fractal maps should be moving slowly in-frame. Right now that star is throwing off coronal discharges at a respectable fraction of the speed of light, when you account for scale.
    This isn't meant to look anything like Kramer's finished version as it was just an experiment with using polar warp to wrap some fractal noise into a spherical shape. There's a bit too much visible repetition and I only did a single layer of fractal, but as a proof of concept I think it works:
    http://youtu.be/gcY9sAsg2WE
    That does work very nicely.
    edited May 2014
    Fiddling around:
    http://youtu.be/Jmt9uQzNhl4

The star surface texture is a little wild. :)
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Stargate surface texture, I think you mean.
    I revised my earlier effect a bit to make the end result more similar to Kramer's.
    http://youtu.be/VAjp4ZxwlFU
    For me, tutorials are about the techniques, not the exact final result.  Learning the techniques used allows you to apply those techniques in whatever software you have available.  In this case, the techniques involve using fractals to create textures with some inherent movement, and using the sphere effect to wrap them onto a, well, sphere.  And using lots of layers with time shifts to apply the flames to the edge.  All of these techniques translate directly to HitFilm.
    I'll happily agree that 21 years of development on AE have created a more advanced fractal generator that HitFilm has developed in its 3 year life, but the techniques translate directly, and allow you to create very similar effects, though not identical.  But then, I've never been interested in creating an identical copy of someone else's effect.
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    Presets to share and study??
    @Simon. Yup, polar warping your corona layers works. It's probably easier to set up, since you don't need as many layers to get around the circumference, and may render faster since you likely only need 3 polar warp layers for variety, not the 20 duplicated/rotated layers I used.
    @Axel: it is just unfair and unacceptable that in three years and two revisions FXhome has failed to equal and exceed what took Adobe 20+ years and 15 revisions to accomplish. I shall be replacing Hitfilm with MS Paint once hell freezes over. ;-)
    Of course I jest.
    Couple other thoughts for general experimentation: Atomic Particles makes great tendrils, and is a great tool to get a different look for the texture sources. Same with Caustics. Try atomics or caustics after the fractal noise!
    Axel - looking fantastic. I particularly like that your star surface texture matches up with your coronal emissions, so that it looks like the same tendrilly emissions are over the entire surface and not just around the halo edge.
    I'm also enjoying using made-up sciencey words to describe everything.
  • GrisbyGrisby Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out
    Run karaoke for drunken, off-key people who don't tip, or be creative? The preference is clear.

*LOOOL*I know THAT Shit! ;-)

edited May 2014
    Still having trouble getting my Fire small and detailed enough. Maybe I just have to use a larger source layer?
    EDIT: The original post here used a version where I generated coronal emissions using the fire filter as warped by the Polar Filter. I wasn't terribly happy with how that came out and have replaced it with this version which is back to fractal noise flames. This version is still a bit busy, but, you know. Just playing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMenbPVh8Qw
    Triem - main thing about yours is that all the elements are a bit too distinct - there's the outer emissions, then a big white band, then the middle yellow bit. You can also see where the polar warp wraps on the right edge.
    Here's a refined version of mine, now using Axel's star map:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ngG8_KGgoU
    Tweaked the emissions quite a bit and also the overall grade.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Great job Simon!  That's really coming along quite nicely! 
  • MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 556 Enthusiast
    @Simon: Amazing...you've done a great job...absolutly coequal to...;-)
    Regards,
    Marc
    P.S.: Do you plan to release a project file?