Greenscreen as image mask.

Hello! I've been trying to try some different techniques I could do in animation and I wanted to try adding irises in video editing process. To do that, I wanted to make green screen sclera to act as a mask for eye. Yet, as you can see in picture below I had ran into number of issues.

The eye clips on top of the character, as well as whenever I apply set matte, the transparency disappears. Mask didn't seem to help either.

Does anyone has ideas on how I could fix this? Or are there any other methods I should try doing for these kinds of things? I can edit the colour of sclera no problem in the software I use. The iris is a separate png I did in Photoshop, but if I need to export it in different format I also can do so.

Comments

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,877 Ambassador

Hard to say, maybe key the eye in a separate comp and bring that into the one you are trying to add to the eyes.

• arcionek22arcionek22 Website User Posts: 14

But how would I handle the iris clipping outside of sclera like in picture below? There seems to be quite number of issues for something that seems kinda simple. Not gonna lie.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

We don't have enough information to determine where you're making your mistake (and this is going to be user error, somewhere). 

Your Screenshot shows us the existence of one layer, the eye PNG and the existence of a mask and a set matte effect. As the mask isn't highlighted we can't see where the mask is, and as the set matte is twirled shut, we can't see its settings.

As we can't see any other layers we have no idea if the rest of the image is bitmaps or masked planes, and what the order of your layers are.

So, I'm going to take a couple of wild guesses here and see if I can find your solution, but, if I'm wrong, you'll have an idea of what we need to know to figure this out. 

First, the squares around the irises... Are those always there? Like, if you dropped that image directly on a green plane the black box would be there? If so, either you didn't properly save with transparency from your photo editor, or Hitfilm isn't parsing the mask correctly. You can right click the iris media in the Media Bin, click Properties and change Alpha from Straight to Premultiplied. However, it's more likely the file has no alpha. This can be fixed for now by adding a "Demult" effect, which will make the black transparent.

Here's a very important note about Order of Operations in Hitfilm. Memorize this because it applies to a lot of things... Effects in Hitfilm that use "Source Layers" or that reference any other layers to drive an effect parameter reads the RAW state of the layer without any effects or masks applied.

Say, for example, you've drawn a mask on a green plane then have tried to use this as a matte source. Set Matte doesn't see the mask. It's just a plane. Converting the layer to a Composite Shot and moving masks and effects with "bake in" the effects. The "raw state" of an embedded Comp Shot is the rendered state of that Comp. 

Now you've masked your green plane and made it it's own Composite Shot. What are the correct Set Matte settings for the iris? 

We add Set Matte to the Iris. The Source Layer is the Embedded Comp with the masked shape. The Matte Source can be Green or Alpha. The Blend should be Subtract, then Invert. 

• arcionek22arcionek22 Website User Posts: 14

Thank you Triem for your suggestion. I'm definitely going to try that. Also yeah sorry about not giving enough info. Hit print screen at midnight and didn't think this through ^^;

Here's the info on how the project looked like:

• The comp has only 2 layers. An image sequence and a transparent png.
    • Image sequence consists of animated character that has greenscreen sclera
    • Set Matte effect was set to the iris, referencing the image sequence below and source was set to green. 
    • When the set matte was applied the iris bitmap loses transparency, as a result I tried to apply mask to clip out the black area around iris but it didn't work out. 

Once again. Thank you for the suggestion and I'm gonna check it out once I can. I'll give update if it will work. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Um. Put the eyes below the mask and apply a Hue/RGB or Color Difference Key to the mask layer to knock out the green. You don't need Set Matte for this. If you want green behind the Iris, just drop another instance of the mask on a layer under the irises. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,877 Ambassador

Yep that sounds good to me to. @triem23 ps your an early bird today.