Exporting tracking data from Mocha Pro to Htfilm without a camera solve.

rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
I recently purchased Mocha Pro, and so far it seems like a nice tool to have (really impressed with the remove module).
The site says it supports Hitfilm, but other than exporting the camera solve, none of the other data exports are compatible with HF. It can render some things, such as shapes/mattes to media, which of course can be imported into HF.
I had hoped that V4, which should come out soon, would add more support for HF, however, I watched one of the videos from NAB showing the new version, and did see them using the pulldown menus that show the export options, and it did not seem to have anything new for HF.
So, I decided to write my own conversion program as a go between. It will let you reasonably easily get two types of data exports from Mocha Pro to Hitfilm. The first is tracking data, which is a single tracked point, and corner pin data, which is the four points associated with the corners of the surface of your track.  If you do a camera solve, you can currently get both of these from Mocha to HF using it's existing export, however, there are times you just want to track an object without doing a full camera solve. Since a camera solve is not involved, the points are 2D.
Once you have it setup and running, it's only one click more than the current method of getting data from Mocha to HF (assuming you reuse files to transfer the data).
This is not something I want to sell or support, but I thought others might be able to benefit from it. If any of you that own Mocha Pro and Hitfilm 2 Ultimate want to give it a try, let me know.
Note that this is for Mocha Pro and can't be used with the Mocha that's bundled with Hitfilm.
It's windows only.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Hitfilm can import track data in maya format. Your software tool sounds cool and useful, but have you tried exporting a ".ma" from Mocha? I've done that from AE on a few shots that needed point tracking.
    Otherwise, as a Mocha Pro owner, I will totally check out what you did!
  • mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    I recently purchased Mocha Pro, and so far it seems like a nice tool to have (really impressed with the remove module).
    The site says it supports Hitfilm, but other than exporting the camera solve, none of the other data exports are compatible with HF. It can render some things, such as shapes/mattes to media, which of course can be imported into HF.
    I had hoped that V4, which should come out soon, would add more support for HF, however, I watched one of the videos from NAB showing the new version, and did see them using the pulldown menus that show the export options, and it did not seem to have anything new for HF.
    So, I decided to write my own conversion program as a go between. It will let you reasonably easily get two types of data exports from Mocha Pro to Hitfilm. The first is tracking data, which is a single tracked point, and corner pin data, which is the four points associated with the corners of the surface of your track.  If you do a camera solve, you can currently get both of these from Mocha to HF using it's existing export, however, there are times you just want to track an object without doing a full camera solve. Since a camera solve is not involved, the points are 2D.
    Once you have it setup and running, it's only one click more than the current method of getting data from Mocha to HF (assuming you reuse files to transfer the data).
    This is not something I want to sell or support, but I thought others might be able to benefit from it. If any of you that own Mocha Pro and Hitfilm 2 Ultimate want to give it a try, let me know.
    Note that this is for Mocha Pro and can't be used with the Mocha that's bundled with Hitfilm.
    It's windows only.

I'll give it a go if you like, sounds interesting! I was thinking about doing the same myself a while back but never got around to it.  Was also thinking we could most likely do something around the mask export as well rather than having to export mattes seeing as HF just uses XML for the file structure we should be able to figure it out and to a transform from after effects export etc.  Just not enough hours in the day and I'm trying to stick to being creative rather than get stuck in coding :-)  
    I think you can set up a dummy track in Mocha fooling it into thinking it's tracked a static scene in the dope sheet and export the tracking data like that but I never got around to trying that either!
    Agree Mocha replace is awesome (and I can't wait to try the Mocha stabilization cropped to 1080p with 4k original files!)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Yes, you can set up a dummy track for a camera, then track an object. A couple of the Imagineer tutorials cover it.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,822 Ambassador
    Sounds very cool. :)
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Hitfilm can import track data in maya format. Your software tool sounds cool and useful, but have you tried exporting a ".ma" from Mocha? I've done that from AE on a few shots that needed point tracking.
    Otherwise, as a Mocha Pro owner, I will totally check out what you did!

Triem, that would be nice if an existing method existed, but I can't find any maya/.ma export options in Mocha.   Are you using AE to convert?  Unfortunately I don't have AE.    Would be nice if there was a AE to .ma converter around.

I'll give it a go if you like, sounds interesting! I was thinking about doing the same myself a while back but never got around to it.  Was also thinking we could most likely do something around the mask export as well rather than having to export mattes seeing as HF just uses XML for the file structure we should be able to figure it out and to a transform from after effects export etc.  Just not enough hours in the day and I'm trying to stick to being creative rather than get stuck in coding :-)  
    I think you can set up a dummy track in Mocha fooling it into thinking it's tracked a static scene in the dope sheet and export the tracking data like that but I never got around to trying that either!
    Agree Mocha replace is awesome (and I can't wait to try the Mocha stabilization cropped to 1080p with 4k original files!)

Agree, would be nice to do this with masks, but I'm not sure I want to put the time into that for basically the same reason you mentioned, would rather be doing other things than coding :)
    The points where pretty easy, a single location per frame, but the mask behavior could be tough to match.

Yes, you can set up a dummy track for a camera, then track an object. A couple of the Imagineer tutorials cover it.

Interesting, I'll have to look for these.  You don't by chance remember a title or how long ago this was, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1SQbfL-4w
    Yes. This webinar! This particular webinar is pretty comprehensive, but, about an hour in, there's a segment on setting a "dummy" camera track (on a locked-off shot), then tracking the planes of an actor's face, exporting the face nulls for cinema 4D and using those nulls to attach a 3D model to the actor's face.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1SQbfL-4w
    Yes. This webinar! This particular webinar is pretty comprehensive, but, about an hour in, there's a segment on setting a "dummy" camera track (on a locked-off shot), then tracking the planes of an actor's face, exporting the face nulls for cinema 4D and using those nulls to attach a 3D model to the actor's face.

Thanks! One of the few I haven't gotten around to watching yet. :)

That "dummy" camera track would work great for a locked-off shot where you have subjects constantly moving in front of your background.  Good to know :)

I don't use the forums PM feature much, so I'm not sure how it notifies a user about a message, so I thought I'd mention it here that I've sent all three of y'all a PM about the program.
    I've modified the program to put the corner pin data directly into a quad warp effect on a grade layer. This means once you've imported the composite, simply drop the media you want warped into the composite, and you're ready to use the warped media elsewhere.
    Use the same link I provided before to download the latest.
    You'll need to change the Starting composite. See the included text file.
    Hey, Richard, thanks. I should have acknowledged getting your PM. I haven't actually been on my PC in a week (just forums and email via phone), so I haven't downloaded the files yet, but I really should have responded to your message.

FYI--when I get a PM on the Hitfilm forum, I also get an email notification. I don't remember turning that on as a setting, so I assume it's global.
    Michael, NP.  I couldn't remember my self if it did or if I'd set something, since I seldom use it.  Hopefully you're away from your PC doing something fun :)