HitFilm Express 14 keeps crashing!

SyrupySyrupy Website User Posts: 7
edited January 27 in HitFilm

I just recently got Hitfilm express with Sony Vegas 15 when I bought Sony Vegas so basically I opened Hitfilm Express 14 and It randomly crashes idk why idk how but it keeps on crashing and here are my settings, Editor 1080p 30fps, Video 1920 x 1080 30fps, And here are my specs Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 of windows, i7-3770 3.4 GHz, 16gb ram, Latest driver update (available for my Computer) and yeah also I have no apps that could be causing this cause all the apps that are open aren't killing my computer and taking up most of the memory. So what do I do? 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador

Unless you have a dedicated GPU (you haven't listed one) you are under minimum specs to run Hitfilm. Hitfilm needs an Intel HD 5000 or higher. You have the HD 4000.

You've also specified most recent driver "for your computer," which means you may be locked on old drivers by an intrusive manufacturer (I have the same problem with an HP that's above min spec that won't allow me to update past the very old 2017 one). 

• SyrupySyrupy Website User Posts: 7

So what do I do give up and buy another computer in a year?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador

Probably. I don't know if you have OEM locked old drivers. If you do, but can trick the machine into installing current GPU drivers, maybe things will be stable, but, if you are under minimum recommended specifications then you cannot expect stable operation of the software. Wish I had better news. 

You can try and see if you can download Hitfilm 12. 12 had lower system requirements (Intel HD 4000).

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,928 Enthusiast
    edited January 26

It's worth noting that a i7 3770 is a desktop CPU, and if its an OEM with office in mind, why does it come with 16 GB RAM, unless OP upgraded themself. Do this: Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type Dxdiag, once inside open the Display tab and tell us what adapters you see providing video.

"So what do I do give up and buy another computer in a year?"

Your i7 3770 is waaay above min and rec req to run HitFilm, and will be for years to come. If you don't have a dedicated graphics card already, then getting one will be your best option. Try to tell us which case you have, and what power supply you have (typically model # on a sticker on the side of it).

@CNK is correct here in that your machine meets CPU requirements. So, if you add a dedicated GPU to your existing system, you'll be ok. That said, I leave you in CNK's hands, cuz he's way better at hardware configuration than I. 

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

Power-wise, the CPU should have plenty of power for HitFilm, but technically it's only 3rd gen while the minimum spec for HitFilm says 4th Gen is the minimum. So far though, we haven't seen any issues with earlier CPUs, but lets hope that this doesn't start here.

I tend to agree with @CNK though, GPUs give HitFilm more grief than anything else. The i7 3770 comes equipped with the ill-fated Intel HD 4000, which we know has issues in modern HitFilm. We've seen plenty of "underspec" CPUs do fine when paired with a qualified GPU (I believe I've even heard of a Celeron running HitFilm)

edited January 27

@triforcefx and @Stargazer54 is finally retiring a machine that's been under-spec since Hitfilm 4. There's going to be variance based on how savvy an individual is at keeping a machine lean and clean. Lynn is an expert and surely kept his old warhorse free of wasteful software. Most users have all kinds of stupid, dippy things running in the background they don't need or want that they don't even know about. Especially if it's a pre-built machine. Case in point, any Dell/Alienware has the worse than useless Dell Backup/Recovery utility.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,928 Enthusiast
    edited January 26

@triforcefx It has the necessary instruction sets so I wouldn't be worried about that. Your workflow, and render times would take a hit which is to nobody's surprise. When the ryzen CPU's hit the market, Intel actually started doing what they're supposed to be doing again. CPU improvements almost stopped year to year at one point, when Intel reached an all time low of a ~3% improvement over previous gen. As consumers we saw the most drastic change in over a decade from Intel. Pentiums gained Hyper Threading, i3's become true 4c, i5's became true 6c, i7's became 6c+with hyper threading, all while cost matched previous gen SKU's. Due to Intel's monopoly, there was a time when buying a Xeon 123x was a better alternative because it was just a i7 but without integrated graphics, and this lasted for 2-3 years. That is, If you cared about price:performance.

But to not go too far off topic, graphics will be the only thing OP needs to have a capable PC. The cost to upgrade to a whole new platform will be too big. OP would see more gains from a good dedicated graphics instead of putting most of that money towards a DDR4 compatible platform. In 2-3 years, that's when I would retire the i7 3770 and call it obsolete, but only because of the pressure AMD is putting on Intel. If we were still on a stand still, FXhome would have no choice but to optimize for basically the same hardware over and over again. 

Alright @CNK my GPU specs are below the required as it says here Specs

Intel HD Graphics 4000

I'm downloading hitfilm express 12.2

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

Good idea. The Intel 4000 is under spec for ver. 14

Yep, now I am getting no crashes so far! thanks, everybody especially Triem23 Anyways thanks!

• kennethdahlekennethdahle Website User Posts: 1

I am having the same problem with random and frequent crashes.   Is HitFilm Express to heavy for my setup?

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 4/22/2020, 19:46:05
    Machine name: KENNYDESKTOP
    Machine Id: {E5A8DE5E-D3B6-41F8-B265-0CF16029704F}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: ET2411
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/25/12 21:34:18 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6042MB RAM
    Page File: 5485MB used, 4627MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Device (POST)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0152&SUBSYS_01521043&REV_09
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 1792 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
    Shared Memory: 1760 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
    HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Clone
    Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
    Color Primaries: Red(0.646984,0.335461), Green(0.282727,0.602063), Blue(0.150891,0.073742), White Point(0.313000,0.328625)
    Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: SE391TS
    Monitor Id: SEK0F96
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HDMI
    Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
    Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
    Advanced Color: Not Supported
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: CPL AIO PC
    Monitor Id: RTK2482
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
    Output Type: HDMI
    Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
    Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
    Advanced Color: Not Supported
    Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll
    Driver File Version: 10.18.0010.5059 (English)
    Driver Version: 10.18.10.5059
    DDI Version: 11.2
    Feature Levels: 11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: Thread group
    Miracast: Supported
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Virtualization: Not Supported
    Block List: No Blocks
    Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: Wed Aug/15/2018 5:00:00 PM, 11050272 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4212-11CF-3060-5821B4C2C735}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x0152
    SubSys ID: 0x01521043
    Revision ID: 0x0009
    Driver Strong Name: oem0.inf:5f63e534c477ad23:iIVBD_w10:10.18.10.5059:pci\ven_8086&dev_0152
    Rank Of Driver: 00D12001
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C
    DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_D2010 DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT

@kennethdalhe Your machine is under spec for Hitfilm. In this case, the integrated GPU on your CPU is the issue. Hitfilm needs an Intel HD 5000, you have an HD 2500.

Wish I had better news.

• sfettasfetta Website User Posts: 1
    edited May 27

I'm brand new to video editing.  I just downloaded Hitfilm express 14 and it keeps crashing.  How do I know what my laptop specs are to be able to know if they're under or not?  I know this is a beginner question, but I have to start somewhere.  This is what I do know  is on my laptop:  Intel Quad-Core i7-8565U Upto 4.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon 540X,Windows 10 Pro. Thanks for your help!

• dairyfreestatedairyfreestate Website User Posts: 2
    edited May 28

I'm also experiencing the same problem. Had no issues for the past week, but I keep running into this now. I have an HP Omen
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20 GHz 2.21 Ghz
    32.0 GB installed memory

Windows 10 Home 

Not sure what else I need to pull up but this problem just started today.

Should also mention I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with Max-Q Design, just updated today. 

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,180 Moderator

@fxhomer67410

Out of curiosity, did the Nvidia update before the problem or did you update because of it?

I have oftened wondered when several people suddenly start having issues like this if it could  be a driver update at fault.

• dairyfreestatedairyfreestate Website User Posts: 2
    edited May 28

@tddavis

It happened before I updated the driver and I read that updating it could help. So I had the problem, updated the driver, and continued to have the problem. Good question! 

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,180 Moderator

@dairyfreestate Drat!  I had hoped it was the other way then you could have tried rolling back. That was all I could think of unfortunately.  Maybe one of the spec gurus can see something I don't.  They look good to me. I have read some thread talking about malware causing issue recently since it's sudden thing might be good to do a scan if you haven't lately.

• TheVideoMakerTheVideoMaker Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out
    edited July 17

I have the same problem but when I export Hitfilm crashes. I'm on version 14.3

My adapter is an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series. Any help from anyone?

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,566 Staff

@TheVideoMaker please make a new thread detailing your problem, any warnings or errors and your machine specs. I do not believe your issue is the same as OP's.

This discussion has been closed.