"Moved or Changed" Project File

ThouAnarchyThouAnarchy Website User Posts: 5
edited January 28 in HitFilm

When I went to open my project on another pc, Hitfilm moved my project to another location and when I searched for it my pc said the file was moved or changed and it was unusable and asked to delete it. Is there anyway where I can recover my project?

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,558 Staff

@ThouAnarchy what do you mean by "open my project on another pc"? Did you copy the file to the other computer yourself? Did you allow it to delete the file? if you moved it, did you create a copy on the original PC?

• ThouAnarchyThouAnarchy Website User Posts: 5

@TheBenNorris I had made the project on my desktop and saved it to me removable hdd. When I was unable to use my desktop to continue the project I had decided to use my laptop. Both computers had the same version of Hitfilm express. I did not allow any software to move or alter the project in any way. As soon as I opened the project on  my laptop it had deleted the file. I then tried to recover the file and although I did recover the file, it was corrupted so I couldn't open the project at all.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,558 Staff

@ThouAnarchy did you manage to open the project at all on the new machine before it was "moved"? HitFilm should not be moving any project files on open, so are you sure that the file you found is the same project file and not a temp. file?

@TheBenNorris No, I was unable to open the project before the file was moved. It was the same project, not a temp file. 

@ThouAnarchydid you attempt to open the project, or had it already been moved prior to you opening HitFilm?

@TheBenNorris When I attempted to open the project HitFilm failed to open it and then once I closed the program the project was gone.

@ThouAnarchy unfortunately I don't think there is anything we can do, if the file is corrupted we cannot recover it. There could be a chance that the copy/move operation corrupted the project initially if you did not safely remove the external drive, but other than that I'm not sure I can help any further, the only time HitFilm will remove a project is if the project file is an autosave file.

@TheBenNorris It's alright, I'll just have to restart my project. Cheers for the help.