Message: do you want to change editor sequence settings to match the clip?

MrBlueVan
MrBlueVan Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out

I have imported my first video and trimmed as per the YouTube tutorial. On dragging to the timeline this message appeared

Do you want to change editor sequence settings to match the clip?

What is happening here please?

The MP4 file is from my Samsung S6 mobile.

I know nothing about video parameters. I just want to trim some athletics videos to give the key moments, and then to slow-mo them for athlete instruction.

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,945 Staff

@MrBlueVan do you want to change the editor sequence (where you dragged the footage) to match the clip you're adding? This means, do you want the editor sequence dimensions, frame rate, etc, to match that of the clip you're using, or stay at the settings you specified when creating the project?

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,263 Moderator

@MrBlueVan It should be noted that you typically do NOT want to automatically match your clip settings when using phone footage. Phones record video in something called Variable Frame Rate, while an editor like HitFilm uses Constant Frame Rate.

For this reason, when using phone footage, you’ll need to set your project settings manually. For a Galaxy S6, I believe the standard setting is 30 Frames Per Second at 1080p. You should be able to find a preset for this.

• MrBlueVan

TheBenNorris  Unfortunately I have no idea. I don't know enough to make that decision.

triforcefx I'm gradually getting there. I stitched a sequence of clips together and exported an empty file, only to discover that the exported section of the timeline has to be marked to obtain the desired video. I can't remember what I did last time but I have another set of clips to trim, so will no doubt muddle through. I may even try reading the instructions... :-)

Help appreciated.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,064 Ambassador

@MrBlueVan

When HitFilm asks if you want to match the clip settings, what is happening is that you have brought in footage that has different settings than what HitFilm is currently set up to export. So for example. I may have HitFilm set up to export at 1920x1080 pixels and30 frames per second, but the footage I drag in is 1280x720 pixels at 24 frames per second. When you drag it onto the Editor Timeline, HitFilm examines the footage to determine if it is different than the current settings. If it is, then HitFilm will ask you, "Do you want to change editor sequence settings to match the clip?" The answer is, if you do want to use the same settings of the original footage, then click Yes, and if you don't, then click No. Most of the time, I end up clicking Yes.

With regards to Exporting your video, you have two choices. You can export the "Contents" or you can export the "In to Out" points. Exporting the Contents will export everything that that you have put on the Editor Timeline. Exporting the In to Out Points will only export what is between your previously set In and Out Points. You can set those points by placing the Playhead where you want to start the exported video and hit the I key (for In) and then moving the Playhead to where you want the exported video to end and hit the O key (for Out).

I hope this helps, and I like I said before, please feel free to ask any questions you like!

• MrBlueVan

@FilmSensei It's taken me a while to realise about the plethora of recording formats; and from there the likely difficulties in managing them all. Thank you for your explanation above. It's gradually sinking in.

Since posting this question I have been too occupied to press forwards with making videos, but I now have some time and yet another project.

And now another question is pending...

• YoutubeVINCE
    YoutubeVINCE Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I accidentally hit the: make them match button but how can i change it back now???

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,064 Ambassador

@YoutubeVINCE To change the settings, go to File -> Project Settings.

• YoutubeVINCE
    YoutubeVINCE Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Yeaah i get that but i want it to stop going automatically

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,011 Moderator

@YoutubeVINCE That little video I just posted for you about image sequences when it gets to the Prompts and warnings part the top option should reenable the prompt about Matching the timeline. Now, if you are wanting to revert a project that has already been matched, then the only thing I know of is the re drag that asset from the media bin into the project at its original settings. Or start the project over completely.

• richardvinson
    richardvinson Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

What difference does it make in the final product I change settings or don't change?

• tddavis

@richardvinson If your project setting and your media settings are not comparable on export you can get the black letterbox at side, the top and bottom or all the way around depending on the mismatch.

• richardvinson

Ok,,so I should always say "yes",,I'm a bit confused as to why one tutorial advised NOT to change, of course I realize there is a lot of misinformation out there,,

• FilmSensei

@richardvinson I don't believe that you should always say yes or always say no to the prompt. I do all kinds of videos for all kinds of people. Often times they want a specific resolution, FPS, etc... and I don't normally use that. Sometimes, it's just easier to say, yes, use that footage resolution. Sometimes it is not. It just depends on the situation. In the situation of that one tutorial, it must have been better to not change. In a different tutorial, however, it might be better.

• richardvinson

ah,,,thank you, it really is all relative isn't it,,?

• tddavis

👍That is my understanding of it anyway. You're welcome.