Message: do you want to change editor sequence settings to match the clip?

MrBlueVanMrBlueVan Website User Posts: 2

I have imported my first video and trimmed as per the YouTube tutorial. On dragging to the timeline this message appeared

Do you want to change editor sequence settings to match the clip?

What is happening here please?

The MP4 file is from my Samsung S6 mobile.

I know nothing about video parameters. I just want to trim some athletics videos to give the key moments, and then to slow-mo them for athlete instruction.

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,561 Staff

@MrBlueVan do you want to change the editor sequence (where you dragged the footage) to match the clip you're adding? This means, do you want the editor sequence dimensions, frame rate, etc, to match that of the clip you're using, or stay at the settings you specified when creating the project?

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

@MrBlueVan It should be noted that you typically do NOT want to automatically match your clip settings when using phone footage. Phones record video in something called Variable Frame Rate, while an editor like HitFilm uses Constant Frame Rate.

For this reason, when using phone footage, you’ll need to set your project settings manually. For a Galaxy S6, I believe the standard setting is 30 Frames Per Second at 1080p. You should be able to find a preset for this.

• MrBlueVanMrBlueVan Website User Posts: 2

TheBenNorris  Unfortunately I have no idea. I don't know enough to make that decision.

triforcefx I'm gradually getting there. I stitched a sequence of clips together and exported an empty file, only to discover that the exported section of the timeline has to be marked to obtain the desired video. I can't remember what I did last time but I have another set of clips to trim, so will no doubt muddle through. I may even try reading the instructions... :-)

Help appreciated.