Missed The Humble Bumble Dec 2019 Hitfilm Pro Deal :-( ... Will this be repeated anytime soon ? )

starhawk77starhawk77 Website User Posts: 24 Just Starting Out
edited January 29 in HitFilm

I've been using Hitfilm Express for years but have forever hated the greendangle berries of effect addons and with online shop look of the application that it gives....Besides this, I've always desired having the Pro version... so with that and with even knowing the Hitfilm Pro 14 had come out in Dec 2019, my natural expectation was to just to wait as usual in playing second fiddle in waiting till the Express version came out. Even though with being online 16 hours a day every day for the past month and even spent time looking for a new NLE program, looked around to see if Hitfilm had any offers, even visiting the Express forum over Christmas time, I was completely in the dark about the deal being offered until a few days ago. So with that and because I had plans to  create another Tron / Bladerunner based movie in the new year, it's really frustrating to have missed this....  This is a film I finished 6 months ago with Hitfilm Express as the main video editing hub for everything in addition to the post effect work..

Comments

• DibsMcCallumDibsMcCallum Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 120 Staff

Hi there @starhawk77

We don't have any sales or discounts going on right now. If you want to hear about any future sales, make sure you are subscribed to our newsletter, through your account settings, or follow any of our social media channels. That way, you will get the details of any future sales as soon as they are announced.

http://fxhome.com/account
    https://www.facebook.com/FXhome
    http://twitter.com/FXhome

• CNKCNK Website User Posts: 1,647 Just Starting Out

I highly doubt it will be returning, probably ever.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,028 Moderator

@starhawk77

It’s unlikely the Humble Bundle will be returning soon, if ever. TBH, it was quite the PR nightmare for FXHome, even though all they wanted to do was help support charities.

Since FXHome is awesome and they still want to support charity, they somewhat adopted Humble Bundle’s pay-what-you-want model for the latest version of HitFilm Express. If you pay for Express, you get awesome addons, and a percentage of it gets donated.

• starhawk77starhawk77 Website User Posts: 24 Just Starting Out

What about a 'Pay What You Want For Pro / & Extras ' and make that a regular yearly thing then ? Then you would mitigate the animosity caused by this rogue fly under the radar move which was made in December 2019...I monitored the social media avenue's throughout Christmas, even visiting the humble Bumble website during the period the offer was on, and there was nothing that I could find that mentioned anything about it...  One would have needed to have followed some specific forum or non mainstream website to have picked up on it... I have to agree that the whole way Hitfilm have handled all this has been an unmitigated PR disaster for current users and those who bought this program for a much higher price, and really sets a distrust for even potential purchasers of the program/s, with the undercut being so huge.  With other companies and those I purchase upgrades for, there are predictable times when software is discounted, what they don't do is give a set of software away without notice two weeks later for next to nothing....That's just bad business practice and from a PR point of view.... Hitfilm need to be transparent, fair and predictable if it wants to retain the trust of it's user base...regardless of it's motivations...good or bad.                       

edited January 23

$30 is an amazing deal, and I actually think the pricing was done by Humble. But for software like this, just look at where it's placed. HitFilm is basically Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects in 1 convenient package.

Breakdown:

HitFilm Pro - $349 initial purchase $180-$200 12 month renewal, if you don't renew, you can stay on that version forever

Adobe Premiere and After Effects - $41.98/mo, if you don't renew, you get thrown out - $503 yearly for JUST those two programs

$500 is basically the initial purchase price of HitFilm + a 12 month renewal, that's 24 months + you get to keep the latest version forever. The value which HitFilm offers is already amazing. Add to that, Express + buying packs if you just want some things it offers. If you buy packs, the upgrade to Pro becomes cheaper too, and packs are carried over from HF 13->HF 14, etc. They are one time purchases. The possibilities are there and while it's easy to complain, they're also trying to be competitive. They're a very small team mind you, so if some marketing wasn't done as well as seasoned Adobe, well, it sucks but it's not the end of the world.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,028 Moderator
    edited January 24

EVERY PR team has ****ed up at one point or another. This just happened to be theirs. But a good PR team, like FXHome’s, learns from their mistakes and comes back stronger. I absolutely believe that the new Express model is the way to go forward from this... it makes FXHome more profitable, it donates to charities, and it gets the users some amazing effects.

In any case, don’t hold your breath for a new Humble Bundle or a Pro price anywhere close to it. It was a one time thing, and it will likely never happen again.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,744 Ambassador

I wouldn't say "never," but it certainly won't be for a while. 

FXHOME always - predictably, even - has done its two biggest sales around Black Friday and July 4th. Logically the time to try a Humble Bundle again would be between those sales.

That said, other software companies that participate provide "last year's" version, and the Hitfilm release model doesn't allow for this. Since, no matter when they tried a Humble Bundle, SOMEONE is gonna complain they paid more (much like people complain every July 4th sale), it's, IMHO a terrible idea to ever Humble Bundle Pro again. It's a better idea to just do discounted Express add-ons, and Ignite Pro... An Express license with discounted add-ons is as close as they can get to "last year's version," and, since the last Humble Bundle was FXHOME stuff, stock media and AE add-ons, Ignite Pro would actually fit in nicely.

But I think another Humble Bundle is actually unlikely. The new "Pay What You Will" model lets FXHOME donate year-round, and, if you look at the PWYW bundles available at initial download, they represent a massive price drop based on the store price for future add-ons. 

Yet, as always, with the PWYW model, people are gonna complain. 

edited January 24

If you look at the release pattern of Vegas (bundles) with Humble Bumble deals over the past 4 or 5 years, you can find offers during May and at the end of November. Honestly..I think this avenue is less about charity but more about having an additional revenue stream. I'm not a fortune teller but I actually think the probability of Pro being offered again, will not be that long into the future...My guess would be around the end of May, the quietest months of the year, where people begin to spend more time outside in the daylight.. 

I calculated the cost of all the plugin addon's to be around £610, almost twice the price of even Hitfilm Pro if bought individually. 

On a practical level for myself,  and for the nature of the work I do, more time spend in the 3D application world and 3D modelling and even spent doing the visual fx type stuff is better spent there as it means less time and effort spent trying to get my machine to playback effects on the timeline of Hitfilm.  Davinci Resolve / Fusion is a one time payment with free updates after the first year unlike Hitfilm so there are other options in terms of video production... other than Adobe....at Scan that's around £263 inc vat...    Lightworks is another around the same price which is like a hybrid of Davinci Resolve and Hitfilm.. 

edited January 24

"If you look at the release pattern of Vegas (bundles) with Humble Bumble deals over the past 4 or 5 years, you can find offers during May and at the end of November. Honestly..I think this avenue is less about charity but more about having an additional revenue stream."

Well, FXhome is a company that exists to fill a gap in the market. The fact that HitFilm is even mentioned when comparing software to Blackmagic, Magix and Adobe just to mention 3, is already incredible. FXhome has like 1/20 devs of those major companies, and a much, much smaller budget...

"I'm not a fortune teller but I actually think the probability of Pro being offered again, will not be that long into the future...My guess would be around the end of May, the quietest months of the year, where people begin to spend more time outside in the daylight.."

In May? I hiiiiighly doubt that. But we both don't know, however history tells us Autumn has the biggest sales.

"I calculated the cost of all the plugin addon's to be around £610, almost twice the price of even Hitfilm Pro if bought individually."

So this is a tricky one. The idea is basically, if you're looking to spend >$150 on add-on packs, you might as well go Pro. It's going to be cheaper. But buying just a few packs, may be all that you need. As mentioned earlier, packs purchased carry over to future versions. But I definitely understand where you're coming from. But even at that $600, it's still $400 cheaper than the 2 year plan mentioned earlier. And you get to keep all your packs. Pro to my knowledge allows you to work at higher color, for smoother gradients, but in the end it's neglible... If I remember correctly, third party 3D importing works better with Pro. I may be forgetting something. But my point is, spend $600, over time--keep forever. The cost will go up as more packs are created, but the point still stands. There are many good angles which you can approach this from.

Competition is good, but I don't think FXhome are worried about niche products like fusion, lightworks, etc. They're marketing to different crowds. There's always going to be some overlap, but in general FXhome markets more towards indie. With that said, there are Hollywood level productions phat are using HitFilm for some VFX and previz work. 

If anything, we should be rooting for HitFilm for disrupting the market. The giants barely cared about their NLE's VFX products before. They're always had the mindset of just let people create and sell plug-ins. I mean in just After Effects alone, you're looking at ~$1000 just to match HitFilm...

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,763 Ambassador

Hey @Starhawk77 have you seen the current Express bundle offer, ok so it's not pro but for £35 you get pretty much most of Pro features, and you help out a charity at the same time. https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express/pwyw

edited January 29

On reflection, £35 for what you do get with the VFX bundle which includes the additional features of the packs is by itself a pretty good deal for what you get I think... The key missing thing at least for me is the ability to import 3D models which would be of greater use to me personally... as it would save the re-rendering of flying spaceships across planets and that of which at different angles. I'm aware that there is an addon for that... 

Interestingly I did get a notification of a $100 discount to get the Pro version of Hitfilm upon opening the application...  I let that one slide with being in two minds about what it went for before and the time frame in which I may actually require some specific feature by the time I get to it in 6 to 9 to 12 months where the features will have progressed and new offers are available at a price point I can't refuse.

Renewal in which to get a new version after 12 months seems exceptionally high for Pro, well at least high in terms of which I'm prepared to upgrade it if I'd want to. Admittedly, in years past upgrading to a new version of Cinema 4D for £450 - £600  between 2002 and 2010 was a considerable amount of cash in addition to the modules, however it was comparatively cheaper than other 3D software products whilst being able to do things that no other could compare with. 

The past few days for me, have had me really digging into the particles combo with the hair and mograph modules I have for C4D. I feel that what one can achieve in a dedicated 3D app like this is more powerful than what one can do in Hitfilm's 3D space.

Something new in Hitfilm 14 was the inclusion of being able to use After Effect plugin's, I presume this is limited to the Pro version but with there being no comparison table between Express & Pro, some clarity would be of benefit regarding that. I do have After Effects 7 which came with the Adobe CS2 suite back in 2006 and picked up a few plugins back then...

It's an interesting quandary as one can use a perpetual free version of Hitfilm Express with select features you might just need or else held back in not being able to progress in the life cycle without significant cost to progress after 12 months.  

(Had a weird issue being unable to post, hence the delay the past few days)

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,820 Enthusiast

"Something new in Hitfilm 14 was the inclusion of being able to use After Effect plugin's, I presume this is limited to the Pro version but with there being no comparison table between Express & Pro..."

It's a bit hard to find but it exists. It is a link at the bottom of the product page. "Compare products".

https://fxhome.com/compare/hitfilm

It does not list AE plug-ins in the table but since Express does not support OpenFX plug-ins ( as listed in the table) it is a safe bet it does not support AE plug-ins as well.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,435 Staff

@NormanPCN you are correct, express does not support the use of third party plugins.

Just thinking...There's apparently a lot of love in the air on February 14th or around that time,... not for everybody sadly.... The hectic/stress of the Christmas period is well over too, so I wonder if there will be any surprises for those that were really in the dark about this HB deal.... even for just a few days. For some, it's one of the most depressing days of the year... for some more than others, however this could be a date that FXHome could open the window again to make available....  Give someone a key instead of a ring as they say..... ;-)    

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,435 Staff

@starhawk77 based on the responses on the forum to this deal previously, it's highly unlikely you will see another deal like that, especially this soon. If you're after a lot of content for a good price, then I recommend you check out the new Pay What You Want system for express.

TheBenNorris I'm aware of the Express addons as I mentioned in my post before last,  I'm just throwing the idea out there like one throws out a fish net...should one reads it.... Things out of the ordinary... do happen as it seems with FXHome....  ;-)