Prolonging video clip

How would I make it so that I can make the video clip slow down and run for a longer time without it putting footage I've already cut out back in. The temporal speed effect and speed/duration tab do not do this, or do it while putting footage I've already cut back in.

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,571 Staff

@smucmuck912 The two options you listed are your only options here, and they should work, although in a slightly buggy way. Why do you say "they do not do this"? What issues are you having?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador
    edited January 22

@TheBenNorris there is one more way to alter speed/duration of a clip. This is to edit the fps Properties of the clip directly in the Media Bin. This globally affects all instances of the clip, project-wide, but is usually my preferred method (for speed jumps I duplicate the source media in the bin, set proper fps for each "clip" and edit between them. In Hitfilm this is easier for me than using the unintuive Speed Effect or faffing with Rate Stretch on media already confirmed to timeline fps.

(Sanity check, Ben. Media still conforms to timeline framerate when added to the timeline, correct? Or was that recently changed?)

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,571 Staff

@Triem23 I believe you're correct, the footage conforms to the timeline when added.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

There is yet one more option for slowing down a clip as well, which is to select the Rate stretch tool on the timeline, and drag the end of the clip out until it is the duration you want it to be.