Water spill effect

JeroniJeroni Website User Posts: 38
Hi, I need to produce an effect where water spills out of a bottle and forms a specific shape on the table.  Any suggestions as to how I should tackle this?  I am enclosing a picture of more or less what I need although the water needs to end on a particular shape.


  • MarcDracoMarcDraco Website User Posts: 37
    Personally, I'd probably try to do this in camera depending on the shape you need that might be easy or virtually impossible: fluid simulation is one of the most difficult there is (there are big prizes on offer for accurate models of things like waterfalls). Blender has fluid simulation but getting the water (or some other fluid) to be constrained like this isn't something you are going to do quickly.
    I have done something with particles driving displacement maps but the quality isn't up to the standard I would personally use since it looks CGI.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    Yeah, I would probably look into painting the shape you need onto a surface with some sort of water resistant material, pouring the water in slowly to fill the shape, and comping that into my final shot with the table.
    Doing it digitally, I would steer away from any sort of particle effect.  I would probably create an alpha of the final shape, the work backwards to create the spill, by using Erode White or other alpha manipulation tools to create the animation.  Then, use displacement to create the actual watery effect.
  • JeroniJeroni Website User Posts: 38
    Thank you.. i will do some testing.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Those screenshots and videos look pretty cool!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador
    Look at caustics as well.. Workflow is basically the same as setting up a displacement map, but... Using caustics. Use a copy of your bg as the bottom surface.
Sign In or Register to comment.