Recently heartbroken aspiring filmmaker seeks advice, encouragement!

Sorry to get too personal, but I'll just come right out and share my story.

Been wanting to film shorts and build up experience for a while, but I've been stuck in Korea. The South one, for a girl, not the North one, for spying. In any case, that relationship seems to be in the roll credits phase, and I ain't expecting Sam Jackson to be at the end of it with some good news.

I want to come back to my hometown of Atlanta and bury myself and my pain in creative work. I've got scripts ready to go. I've got some questions...

1. What are the best ways to find collaborators? Actors, co-directors, musicians, etc? Facebook? Craigslist? Bars?

2. I've lurked enough to know how tacky it is to ask for free help, but the fact is, I ain't got the most money in the world. Any payment I could make would be cursory, like $20 to various people or so. Nothing I'm currently trying to do would be "professional," nor would it be released in expectation of profit. I'd still like it to look good, however, like it was done by people with a passion like me, there's no way I can afford even one day of a real crew. Eventually, as I grew, I'd pay more. What do people like me do in this situation? None of my IRL friends that are local are interested in physically filming stuff.

3. I've got a decent prosumer camera, a mic, and a free version of Da Vinci editor. What all am I missing, and where can I find it for the cheapest price?

4. Anyone have any advice? Encouragement? Want to be friends? It's looking like 2020 is gonna be a lot of me listening to Morrissey and dropping tears into beers, I'd like to do something a little more productive or distracting than that.

Thanks for all who read this shit.

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@namanjohnson101 thanks for posting on the HitFilm forums, obligatory recommendation for our product, HitFilm, since you're posting on the forum for the software!

I don't have much expertise with your issue unfortunately, typically I have relied on friends or connections online to create content.

Unrelated note: I noticed your first comment on our forum was a blatant spam post, so I recommend keeping a closer eye on your account.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

Gonna throw out a few ideas just for fun.

1. You'd be surprised at how many people have a casual interest in filmmaking, especially in a larger city such as Atlanta. See if you have a local filmmaker group on Facebook. See if there's any film festivals in your area. Put out (free) ads on Facebook (and CL if you're daring). Get involved, be upfront and honest about the work you're doing. 

2. There are plenty of people that would love to be in a short film, even for free! Some people just want to try it out, others are interested in building their portfolios. Friends will do it just cuz they think it's cool. Once again, be honest and straightforward with your casting calls... let them know your level of work and that you're offering experience, not money.

3. The only thing you're missing is HitFilm ;) You can tell virtually any story you like with a camera, a mic, and a video editor (and a creative vision!). Everything else is secondary.

4. Try Bumble. It can help you find friends, film talent, or- if you're up for it- someone special. #NotSponsored