Fielding won't change from Progressive

I can't seem to change the fielding on a film project from progressive to any kind of interlaced field pattern. 
I am importing footage from my Sony EX3 directly to hit film, which it accepts, however it is dramatically badly fielded, because the EX3 shoots lower field first in my preferred shooting mode, which is something I don't want to change, because I like it that way.
Is there any way to change the fielding on a film project before importing any footage?  I tried 'custom' but It still won't let me change the fielding.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff
    HitFilm is a progressive application, and doesn't support interlaced footage.
  • Mutley EugeniusMutley Eugenius Website User Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    OK, so lets say that I have hypothetically spent thousands for a days shoot and it is all in lower field first. So I now want to do a bunch of HitFilm effects on it and have it look awesome. I import it all and find the fielding issues, and can't resolve them now because of the native progressive aspect of HitFilm.
    What would you do at this point?

By the way Axel, you make great tutorials.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff
    edited April 2014
    You just need to de-interlace your footage before you import it.  Ideally, use a good camera that shoots progressive to begin with, but if the footage is already shot, then de-interlacing is an easy solution.  Not quite as good as sourcing your footage progressive, in terms of quality, but it works.
    MPEG Streamclip is a free application of top quality that allows you to transcode your videos, one at a time or in batches, and you can use it to de-interlace at the same time.  Since you should be transcoding your camera's footage to an editing format as soon as its on your computer anyway, I would just de-interlace at the same time, so you don't even add any steps to the process.
    And thanks, its good to hear the tutorials are helpful!