Genie From the Lamp Effect: Tips and Tricks?

Hi!
A few friends and I are looking to do a silly short film for a local film festival, but were not entirely sure how to do the effect in Hitfilm Express.
The Scene calls for a Genie to come out of a lamp, were looking to achieve something similar to the effect below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg2ogfLgHAI
Im still getting used to the program, and Ive my own ideas, but Id like some more experienced eyes to help guide us.
Thanks!
-Sean

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    For the smoke I'd definitely use the missile smoke effect. Change the colour and it'll do exactly what you want. In Ultimate you'd have full control over it, but missile smoke will do the job.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    You need to animate the Smoke->general->position property, or link it to a 3D point. Then you can very easily get something like this:
    http://youtu.be/pV2DWROeP5A
    I made the above video in Express so it should be fine. :)
  • Sean NorthridgeSean Northridge Website User Posts: 2
    Hey guys,
    Sorry for the lack of reply, I was ecpecting HitFilm to notify me through email of new posts. It did not.
    Thanks for all the tips! The director said that we may hire someone who knows HitFilm better then I do to get this shot, so where can I check for that?
    -Sean
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Hey guys,
    Sorry for the lack of reply, I was ecpecting HitFilm to notify me through email of new posts. It did not.
    Thanks for all the tips! The director said that we may hire someone who knows HitFilm better then I do to get this shot, so where can I check for that?
    -Sean

Near the top and bottom of each page is a 'Follow this topic' button you need to use to get notifications. Needs to be done for each thread you want to be notified about.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
    Ah, I love Charmed. Simon's recreation looks pretty darn similar, so I think you've got a working model there! :)
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I've got to say I agree - I've watched Charmed since I was about 14 and I think that original enjoyment has stayed with it. The script and characters are great, but I occasionally rope my friends into watching Charmed with me, and quickly become embarrassed when I realise how bad the VFX is. Especially Paige's retrieval power (although it does mean that people can recreate favourite scenes on a tiny budget :P)
    Simon's is definitely better :)
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador
    Well, it's not entirely fair to compare 90's visual effects to what we can do today. I've said it before, and it remains true--Hitfilm Ultimate on a modern PC has the power of a million-dollar edit suite from 20 years ago.

(Although they did the pink smoke better on "I Dream of Jeanie" than charmed... Of course that would be because "Jeanie" used practical smokepots. ;-))
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited April 2014
    I haven't dreamt of Jeanie in a while. ;) 
    Once Upon a Time in Wonderland had some good genie effects too.....but the show just got canceled making it a one season wonder.......pun intended. This is the genie going into the bottle- or rather 3 genies and 3 bottles starting at 1:45.
    http://youtu.be/5zMrDP43vUU
  • daydreambicycledaydreambicycle Website User Posts: 16
    edited April 2014
    You could try a modification of particle appearance settings on this video with some smoke assets (action essentials has quite a few nice ones). Best of luck. :)
    Even at the time, Charmed had really poor VFX compared to other shows on TV. :)
    I was going to say - yeah - I was kind of aware of the VFX being not quite brilliant when I was 15, but now it's more obvious :P 
    Not that I'm putting down Charmed in any way - VFX wasn't their strong point - it was their script and characters :)
    Still love them today!