TGA image sequences and numbering (answered)

PhilNolanPhilNolan Website User Posts: 70
edited November 2014 in Post-production techniques
I have 2 folders of image sequence files (TGA24) and HitFilm gives an "error triangle" when I load them. The properties say this format is not supported. Both of them do not start with frame 0 or frame 1, could that be the problem?  They start with frame 675 or something.

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Not sure what TGA24 (a picture format?) is but it sounds like you may have to convert the images to a format HitFilm can work with. PNG or JPEG would work. There are tons of free picture file converters online. Now converting them back to the TGA24 format might raise another issue.
    The numbers in the sequence shouldn't matter as long as they are in the order you want them in. Also- you can rename them to start at 1.
  • PhilNolanPhilNolan Website User Posts: 70
    edited April 2014
    TGA 24 is 16 bit Targa format. It's pretty standard.
    Edit: Wow I just went to load a single image and looked at the supported formats and TGA isn't there. TGA is one of the most standard image formats I've seen, right next to TIFF.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador
    Yeah, Hitfilm doesn't load TGA. If you have Photoshop or Gimp (or other tools I can't name offhand) you can batch convert to Tiff.
    I just loaded the sequence into Quicktime Pro and exported as a .mov video. But what a pain to have to do that every time. Hopefully they will add TGA support.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Thanks, I didn't know that thread was there.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador
    Were you able to go to a 16-bit mov, or did you sacrifice color-depth? Since you have to transcode, going to TIFF may be more advantageous, since I think Hitfilm might keep the full color range of 16-bit TIFF sequences.
    I think TGA support has been mentioned on the wishlist before, but another "vote" can't hurt.
    I think TGA got dropped by windows, because, while it's a "common" format, it's really only used for 3D rendering image sequences. Yeah, TGA will support 16-bit-per-pixel color depth and a single, premultiplied alpha channel, but TIFF does all that, and can be layered.
    Just speculating. I wouldn't mind seeing TGA support in Hitfilm myself--I have a bunch of models where I had to resave it's TGA textures as PNG or TIFF. Not THAT big a deal, but if you're working with image sequences I can see where it becomes a pain.
    edited April 2014
    Were you able to go to a 16-bit mov, or did you sacrifice color-depth? Since you have to transcode, going to TIFF may be more advantageous, since I think Hitfilm might keep the full color range of 16-bit TIFF sequences.
    I think TGA support has been mentioned on the wishlist before, but another "vote" can't hurt.

I don't think I sacrificed anything, at least it looked the same to me. I would like to see HitFilm get some more export formats though. I know on my last job that I did with After Effects the client had some very specific MPEG2 settings he needed for this system for a giant LCD screen outside a conevention center.

Well.... It's not perfect, but you can always get around that by exporting from Hitfilm as a PNG sequence and bouncing thru after effects or another NLE to encode the MPEG-2.
    Yes, it's not perfect, but it does work.
    Usually one won't notice a difference between 16-bit-per-pixel and 8-bit-per-pixel color unless you're doing low contrast images.
    Yeah sure there are ways to do it, it would just be easier if you could export directly from HitFilm like I did with AFX.
  • AndyQAndyQ Website User Posts: 65 Just Starting Out

A big vote from me for more format support, especially image formats. I stupidly bought Hitfilm 2 without checking the the specs and since it doesn't support TGA or RLA/RPF I've not used it. I know I can convert TGA's to PNG's pretty easily but I've got 20 years of TGA frame sequences output from 3DS MAX and I've never met a video/FX app that won't load them. TGA's a pretty simple format - surely that won't take long to add? Understandably RPF/RLA are more trouble and not much point unless you have effects that make use of them (e.g. add glows, blurs etc based on z-depth, object ID's etc, use coverage channels to keep edges clean). Really, this is just simple AE stuff and i'd like to give Adobe the shove (as Hitler said, "I don't rent my f**king Panzers"). Anyway, back to learning Fusion....

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

As a note, we've added TGA support to HitFilm 3 Pro.

Good to know,  Simon. 

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 356 Staff

Just to clarify, we've added TGA... but not RLE compressed TGA at this time.

Better to know. 

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

Does this include tga for 3d model textures?

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 356 Staff

Yes it should do. :)

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

Great, will test it later