Millennium Falcon scene help

LIFE_LEADERSHIPLIFE_LEADERSHIP Website User Posts: 237 Just Starting Out
edited December 2019 in Post-production techniques

Hi guys and gals,

Need some guidance on a scene I am attempting to create using a 3d model in a Star Wars opening scene..

2 things....

I found what looks to be a nice 3d model of the Millennium Falcon from here...  https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/millennium-falcon-6a27ba566af142708743ccb8b4668d4b

When i import this model, it is overly complicated to add textures since there is no guidance on which ones to use and where.  Dumb question but, Isn't there a 3d model that already comes ready to go for compositing or does every 3d model have to be prepped?  With my limited experience working with models, I think I know the answer to that question but some models seem easier and better than others for sure...

If not,  even though I've been using Hitfilm since the beginning, I haven't dabbled in creating 3d model scenes a whole lot.. I have watched most of the tutorials... Can anyone take a look at this model and provide some guidance on how to get it ready for editing?

Also, the scene i am trying to create is a simple Star Wars opening shot of the Millennium Falcon flying in and past the camera on the way to Earth, just after the main SW crawl..

My plan is to follow the tutorial of the xwing fighters heading towards the Death Star that was re created by Simon..  Any advice or help would be appreciated... Thank you!

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator
    edited December 2019

LIFE_LEADERSHIP

I downloaded the model using the original FBX option and it pretty much came into Hitfilm properly but I had to link the Specular and Normals.  Tex_0095_1 is the Main Ship textures, Tex_0095_2 is the sides or Details textures, and Tex_0095_3 is the Landing Gear.  Tex_5040_1 seems to be the cockpit interior and has no map so I assume your supposed to supply your own interior plate there.  The last one seems to be a duplicate of the Main hull text and I left it untouched.  I changed all the Phongs to Cook-Torrance under Illumination model.  Here is an export PNG from Hitfilm:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uwpactnqslw9u2/mf sample.png?dl=0

and a screen shot to show the interface so you can see what I did in Hitfilm:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0drepjbsoyt6gva/mf set up.png?dl=0

Hope this helps you out.  For the record most free models will be fiddly and you always will have to do some degree of relinking textures from what I have found.  Off to scrub this into Blender and see what happens there :)

Edit:  That was fast.  It imported in Blender as is slick as can be.  That cockpit is totally black so I think it's supposed to be the glass.  In Hitfilm you will want to drop the Opacity there to simulate glass on the 5040 tex, I think.  You might give it a slightly blueish Diffuse as well.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP I took a stab at this model this morning. It's not the best model I've ever worked with, but it's not terrible by any means. I put this project file together in only a few minutes. The big thing that I changed was I removed all the normal maps from the bump map slots and placed them in the normal map slots. I also scaled the landing gear down to 0 so they wouldn't be seen in the final render.

edited December 2019

@FilmSensei I was puzzled about that with the Normals in the bump slot and ended up just adding the Normals to the Normals slot and left them in the Bump as well since I was confused.  What setting  did you scale to 0 on the landing gear? And what did you allow with that last texture settings which to me looked like a duplicate of the Main texture?

• LIFE_LEADERSHIPLIFE_LEADERSHIP Website User Posts: 237 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2019

Thank you so much.. That is awesome!  I would love to mess with this but due to time constraints can you sub out the Death Star for Earth for me? That would be so helpful! Then, when I have time, I am going to experiment with it... What i need for this project is like what you did but a slightly longer shot of the ship coming in and heading towards earth like in the beginning of THE PHANTOM MENACE... a quick reminder  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBV9pXleF0

A tutorial would be amazing somewhere down the line for myself and others ... Since most SW openers begin with a space craft heading towards a planet, I bet it would be a popular video.  

Thank you!!

Ben

PS. i went back into Hitfilm quickly and looked at your instructions.. still confused ... there are several textures with specific names... can you give me more detailed instructions on which textures link to the specular map and Normal map for tex_0095_1.dds ,  tex_0095_2.dds,  tex_0095_3.dds?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@tddavis When I imported the model, I checked all of the groups so that I could have individual access to them. The group that I scaled to 0% was mesh_0069 which is the landing gear. Unfortunately, that leaves five big holes in the bottom of the ship. That's why I positioned the camera to look down on the ship. :)

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP This is really not hard at all to produce. Here is a link to the project file...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3sjvkggz02ms7a7/Falcon_to_Earth.zip/file

In this copy of the project file, I changed the Death Star to be the Earth and I extended the shot from five to eight seconds. If you need to know how to make the crawl in HitFilm Pro, check out this video...

For more about render passing to make this kind of shot look a huge amount better, check out this video...

Good luck!

edited December 2019

Thank you again!  I got the crawl down pat.... heres an example of my work  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTs_E6R3oY8&t=28s  tell me what you think

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP That's great. What applications did you use?

c4d and Hitfilm!

I imported everything.. my computer is a bit slow... if i wanted to have the falcon positioned in space a little farther out and then fly to earth a little closer, would i change the anchor point or the position .. Right now i see you had it at -8000 and ended at 17600 .. would i have to lengthen the comp and then change which ever parameter you recommend.. I cant see it in real time due to my computer ... i have it on fastest playback quality and 1/4 and still cant see it real time... 

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
    edited December 2019

If I may. If you have c4d then maybe this Falcon might be of interest to you. It's rigged so you can work the landing bay doors and legs. I imported into Element 3D as a c4d model. Works and looks great!

http://scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=10&key=592

To answer your flight path question. Change the position of the point

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP

@GrayMotion is correct, you want to change the Keyframes of the point's position, not the anchor point. You will want to play around with those keyframes until you get what you want. Notice also that I have a point called Camera Focus. Change the position keyframes on that to adjust the way the camera moves. I have it set up so that the camera is always looking at that point. Also notice that I used manual bezier keyframes to better control how the camera starts moving and comes to a stop. Those are the kinds of powerful tools that HitFilm provides to make very beautiful videos!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

Hey, Ben, that video looks great! 

To re-answer your core question, yeah, pretty much any model you bring into Hitfilm will need to be adjusted and textured. Placing textures in the same folder as the geometry helps - if in the same folder, Hitfilm will try to link the textures in. If a different folder, you'll have to relink everything. 

Setting up models can be a pain, so always set your models up in a new project. Once you get everything set up correctly, save the project in the same folder as the original model. Then you can use Import Composite Shot to open your set-up model project in any other project. 

@FilmSensei remember we'd semi-discussed my next livestream with you after I get back being 3D lighting tips? Nah, it's gotta be setting up 3D model workflow. Between Ben in this thread and even Lynn in his nacelle thread, I think that's the better topic. If Lynn, a Hitfilm expert, is overlooking a couple of basic principles in setting up models, we need to do that chat! 

edited January 1

Happy New Year! Went off line for the night to celebrate....  Hey Mike, it's been a while! 

First, thank you all for the help and advice.  That is precisely why I've always been a huge supporter and cheerleader, not only for Hitfilm, but for the community of great people associated with the name.  With VIP family at Warner Bros, specifically in the Post Production area ( I get to sit with them on occasion while they are cutting the movies they create before release), I always talk about Hitfilm and they all know about Hitfilm since i don't shutup about it.. :).

Anyway, thank you for the c4d model, I found that model as well a few weeks ago  but didn't work with it yet, but I will.  I have this one Star Wars project I have to complete by the Middle of January for my Real Estate office and then for fun, I am going to do more work with 3d models and effects.  I have a web developer creating a website for me which will share all of my work.. In the mean time, Id like to share my youtube channel with you so you may look at some of my other work, all of which was created over the last several years with Hitfilm ( and c4d, Titler Pro and a few others, occasionally Blender and AE) I have limited abilities with those programs but still learning.   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChaPkamDj_i8FuN_lGnysrA/videos?view_as=subscriber

I have a pretty reasonable computer but still having issues seeing everything in real time so still having issues with that SW scene. 

Is there anyway to reopen the project and help me out with the positioning numbers and camera?  ( also need a camera pan from my opening credits to the beginning of the Falcon scene which would be helpful now vs later)

Everything is updated on my computer but here is what I got.. Windows 10, Intel core I-7 4820 @ 3.7ghz with 16 GB Ram 1 TB SSD, and another SSD with 500GB and a Nvidia GEForce GTX 760 Ti OEM with the latest drivers..

Its always seemed fast to me but I guess with 3d models, its struggling. Anyway, may be time for an upgrade on graphics card since i think I'm good with the other stats... Let me know your thoughts and again thank you in advance for the help on the SW project.. look forward to sharing final project that will be the opener to a Celebration of Excellence for about 60 agents..

Cheers!

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP FWIW, I know you are C4D native and that model GrayMotion linked comes in either C4D or Lightwave and both look great in their native programs, but I'm more into Blender these days so I have been converting it over to that and creating Normal and Specular and Bump maps as well as tweaking the contrast on the Diffuse maps that come with it because I though it was too flat and gray...but it still looks GREAT!  No offense to the author at all; just not my take on it is all.  It's slow going but getting some nice pitting effects on the hull.

After seeing what you had already done, I cannot imagine what you were having problems with on that first model you linked.  You're way above my skill set :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

First of all, man, your skills have come a long way in the last few years! (and, on your YouTube channel you've linked I finally got to see the final cut of that video where you asked to use that map flyover I did as a test for ya!) 

Your system is getting a bit long in the tooth, but there might be issues where, if you upgraded just your GPU your CPU and/or mobo might not be able to take full advantage of the new GPU. That's out of my expertise range, so I'll tag in the real experts, @NormanPCN and @Stargazer54

Thank you Mike. I took a break for a while but besides flying airplanes for a living, I became a Realtor, and have a creative outlet again to produce material. I used to help my brother create material for his real estate office but he passed away in 2015.. Fortunately, we both have Brokers who love movies, ie, star wars and marvel movies. Did lots of green screen shoots... 

By the way, in my anniversary movie I created in 2015, I used that clip you helped me with and  I added you in my ending credits.  You can see them in the movie, A Titanic love story... ?

@filmsensi, let me know if you can modify the project files for me based on my previous post. Thank you again!! 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP If you are struggling with playback in HF (and hopefully you are on the latest build) I suggest kicking down your Playback Quality to Quick or Fastest while setting up your animations.  Yeah its ugly but leaving your Paused Quality at Draft will still let you see what the final render will look like at any point you stop on the timeline.

Heck I upgraded to a 2070 Super GPU over the summer and I still need to kick down the playback quality for tests and I'm on an Intel i7, just like you.  Once you introduce multiple textures, lights, etc.  you are asking an awful lot of your system to do real time rendering and playback at the same time.  I don't care what anybody says, it still takes a lot of cpu cycles weighing on your system (both CPU and GPU) to keep up. 

LIFE_LEADERSHIP What modifications did you need? I didn't see that above.

@Stargazer54 for a bit of reference, I follow Emmy Award winning VFX guru "Mojo" Lebowitz on Facebook. Mojo's work on shows like Babylon 5 and BSG largely defined modern CGI. (Light Wrap in Lightwave was largely developed to his wish list/specs, and the first use of light wrap in CGI is BABYLON 5, s3 ep 15 "Interludes and Examinations."

Anyways, Mojo still works in the industry and he's always so happy when a render only takes a couple of hours per frame. 

He did a 4k render of the Enterprise-D asset from Voyager (so a 1990's model) with three lights. Render took 45 minutes. 

Point being, yeah, 3D takes a lot of processor power, and "real time" requires a lot of compromises. 

edited January 2

Hey @filmsensi

It was a few posts back..

For some reason my computer is not cooperating and I can't see things in real time so the modifications I am hoping you can help me with ( so I can get this project done) is to modify the position of the Millennium falcon so it is much Farther away from camera when entering scene and then as it approaches earth, it's position is closer to earth, ( farther away from the camera) which will probably require the comp shot be a few seconds Longer.. Ultimately, I'd like the normal star wars camera pan down in space that starts right after opening crawl ends, to the beginning of the shot where the falcon enters from left to right.. take a look at my previous post regarding my computer issues...

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,950 Enthusiast

"Point being, yeah, 3D takes a lot of processor power"

With lights+shadows I have found that directional lights have tons less compute overhead than point lights. Also, point light shadows quicky fall apart with distance.

Many times one can get away with a directional light. I've even used a directional light aimed at and tracking via layer property to try and mimic a point source. AKA, Directional mimicking a ship moving by a "point" light source.

I like @FilmSensei because he "cheats" ?. Cheat when you can to save overhead.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,931 Enthusiast
    edited January 2

Great looking shots

In regards to your PC, its only worthwhile to upgrade your graphics card provided your power supply can handle it, which shouldnt be an issue. My 1660 Super (GTX 1070) only needs a single 8 pin connector, for instance.

Your CPU is capable of supporting a much faster card than the GTX 760 Ti, which is by todays standard slightly weaker than whats considered a low end card, the 1050 Ti, by 5-10% - a small but noticeable amount. In HitFilm, youre also limited by the 2 GB buffer o the 760 Ti, where as the "new" lowest "accepted" for gaming is 4 GB. Its also the minimum requirement for 4k projects. 

What i would do in your situation is upgrade the GPU to either of these

1660 Super/1070

RX 580/1060

RX 570/5500 XT/1650 Super

Even at the lowest tier here, youre looking at minimum, twice the performance of your current card, starting at about $125. 

And a couple years down the line, youll want to maybe upgrade CPU with DDR4 RAM, and compatible motherboard. The rest of your current specs, sans GPU, are capable for many years to come.

@NormanPCN true, the directional lights render faster, but have worse shadows. I guess since the shadows are a generated "shadow map" from the position of the the light, and a directional light is an infinite plane the directional light isn't using its shadow map area as effectively? 

I've done similar things as @FilmSensei with directional lights, and, sometimes the light has its own animation rig so I can keep it close to the object being lit so shadows stay sharp. Behaviors help here, because you can parent the light to a point parented to an object's move point. Behaviors on the light's point can invert object point rotation so the light just stays in the same absolute angle to the object. 

edited January 2

Just a general note, I found that the C4D/LW (the LWO version is intact) version of the Falcon model has some spots of missing geometry on the Top and Bottom turret section as I was tweaking in the bump maps and getting up close & personal with it.  NOT the best at modeling but I'm going to attempt some repairs to the mesh in the Blender conversion. Attempting a Frankenstein maneuver :) 

Edit: That worked.  No holes now. Glad I found out how to create maps with GIMP :)

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP All you have to do is change the duration of the Comp and then adjust the timing and values of the Position keyframes to your liking. Turn off the Falcon's motion blur as well as the visibility of the Lights and Stars BG to reduce the drain on resources, and if necessary, change the Playback Settings and/or use the Ram Preview feature to get the exact timing. Even a very slow computer should be able to handle that in a quick fashion. It would be much quicker if you made the changes yourself rather than going back and forth with me over several iterations. You know exactly what you want and you should be able to bang it out in only a few minutes.

@filmsensi No problem, temporarily removing all the graphic intensive add ons helped.. thank you. Tweaking it now. Next question.. since it was not rigged with engine lights, how possible would it be for me to motion track the engine exhaust and add the blue lights that the Falcon has?

edited January 2

@LIFE_LEADERSHIPYou won't have to motion track anything. The Falcon's Position Point is all you need. For example, if you were to use Missile Smoke as your engine exhaust, you would simply attach the emitter to the Falcon Position Point and make some small adjustments. You can find that under the Missile Smoke, General folder. Of course It will need to be part of the Depth Map, which can be found under the Missile Smoke Layer Properties folder.

Regarding the blue lights that the falcon has, you would want to create a special illumination map for those, and then add another copy of the falcon above the current one in the layer stack. Then you would simply use the illumination map for the diffuse, making sure to key out the black so only the lights are visible.

I hope that makes sense!

Ben, take a look at this tutorial: 

I'm 5000 miles away from my Hitfilm computer, so I can't look at your model, but, at minimum, you'd be able to make a custom texture map where everything is black except the bright-blue thruster vents. Which is EXACTLY what I did with whatever the heck Falcon model I use. 

@filmsensi

Regarding the blue lights that the falcon has, you would want to create a special illumination map for those, and then add another copy of the falcon above the current one in the layer stack. Then you would simply use the illumination map for the diffuse, making sure to key out the black so only the lights are visible.

I hope that makes sense!"

I have some serious studying to do... That's the fun part for me but I have not done any of that yet so I will have to play with it. Thank you... Again, this project is coming due soon and my vision is only slightly bigger than my expertise but I will get it eventually..