How do I make a Lightsaber Burn effect?

How do I make a lightsaber burn effect in Hitfilm Pro? The effect I’m looking for can be found

0:34

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Might I suggest you try searching YouTube before the forum? We have no problems answering questions, and even after linking a video more questions can arise, but several of your "How to" questions get answered with video links. Like these. Which I found by searching for "Lightsaber burn Hitfilm" 

The first one is the original video from the legendary Rodypolis (founder of Action VFX!) the second is basically the same, but presented by good ol' Jay Haynes, the @FilmSensei

Jay, I need to rewatch yours. There are a couple things I changed and discussed from Rody's setup that make the effect a little easier to adjust (once it's saved as a preset) and I don't know if those changes made it into yours. If so, great, I never have to touch this. If not, I need to keep it in my "to do" list. ?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@Triem23 I would love to see your take on this one!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I recently used this burn mark effect in a comedy skit for my martial arts school...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

@FilmSensei not much different. The main thing is using a circle emitter instead of a point, so I can rotate the direction of the burn easily. In my Ghostbusters GO! short there's a subtle animation of the burn tilt to account for the slight curve in the ground, and the angle of the hood when the proton beam hits the car. There's a couple other things, but I'd have to compare project files to remember them. 

• TheFlooshTheFloosh Website User Posts: 34

This works well, thank you guys. I did search up lightsaber burn, but I didnt know which to choose. Ill experiment with the videos rather than going strait to the forum from now on. Again, thank you guys.

The Floosh again, always ask in the forums, but, if you'd seen the videos first, then you could have linked the videos here, in your question thread with "is one of these tutorials better?" Or, if needed "Hey, I watched this, but I still need help, here's the bit I don't understand." ?

Sorry, hope I didn't come off as a jerk, earlier. I never want to discourage questions, I'm just trying to suggest an "order" that's more efficient for you to learn and for us to help. ?

• TheFlooshTheFloosh Website User Posts: 34

Not at all, I really appreciate you, and im here to learn, so any input helps. I really enjoy everything that comes with film making,  especially the learning process, so professional input improves everything. Im most likely going to be asking some more questions, but I will first consult The Internet! *in dramatic echoey voice*

Until next time, May the Force Be With You.