Would anybody be interested in cheap, inorganic 3d models?

daydreambicycledaydreambicycle Website User Posts: 16
I've been thinking about making a pack of 3d models (Vehicles, spaceship-scifi things, etc) and I was wondering if you guys would buy it with a license? What would you want in it? What would be a good price for a 20-pack?
These are the kind of things you could have.
I would love any input! 

Comments

• CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    I guess... If I had money for that kind of stuff but they would have to be very unique or made to order... Sooo much is free online these days.
  • DanilothDaniloth Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 52 Enthusiast
    That's the challenge/problem.  Unless you're modelling something real-world (or close) I think many people would want something unique, so there's no economy-of-scale for you in terms of getting paid multiple times for the initial work.
    If I'm playing around, I might use a free B5 or Star Trek model, but if I'm making some short film, I think I'd want my alien/ship to be unique.
    So if you're modelling vehicles or aircraft, or even a fun stereotypical flying saucer, I think you're more likely to find multiple people willing to buy.
    Anyway, just my 2 cents.  For what's it's worth, I like the organic styling of your sample model.  You'd have to consider if people would be wanting/expecting textures as well.  Certainly those of us without much 3D modelling experience are looking for at least a default texture I think.
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    3d sets would be really nice! Probably allitle too hard to make though
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador
    A few thoughts, in no particular order:
    I think the test render you showed is an interesting an different design, and I think that's the way to go--there are already tons of "real-world" models available, both free and paid, on varied sites, so I think a unique design might not yield as many sales as a good "utility object" (like, say, a BMW or a park bench), but I think you might get STEADY sales... as opposed to that BMW, where you have a lot of competition.
    If you're intending on selling the models, they certainly should be UV unwrapped, ideally textured (Even if it's a "default" texture, a properly UV unwrapped texture is a great starting point for customization), and NAME THE MATERIALS! (If you've ever been searching thru model textures in the Hitfilm interface, trying to find that one set of windows you want an emissive color on, looking past "material_25," "material_26," and "material(s)27-234: you know what I mean.
    Decide if you're making these models primarily for Hitfilm use, or if for other saftware as well--remember that other programs can support bump maps, normal maps and a whole series of other mapping types Hitfilm doesn't support (yet).
    Have you looked at Turbosquid, TF3DM, etc etc to see the types of models they have, and competing prices? You might even want to look at Turbosquid's "Checkmate" program and try to make your models compliant--sometimes with free or low-cost models you get things set up improperly: reversed normals, bad textures--even silly things like the model coming in some oddly angled "action pose" where the anchor point isn't centered.
    Basically, what I'm saying here is that if you intend to sell models quality control might be 9especially in the long term) more important than the design--if you generate a series of cool, unique looking models that don't import cleanly and are a pain to set up, you won't get return/repeat business. Of the few tings I mentioned above, naming the textures sounds silly and petty, but can make a HUGE difference to an end-user.
  • daydreambicycledaydreambicycle Website User Posts: 16
    Thank you all so much! I appreciate all of your input, it's very insightful and guiding. Best of luck in your filmmaking endeavours! 
  • ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    I've done some commissioned modeling and did better with that than with a starship model pack I made ( http://earthshatteringpictures.com/ModelPack.html ) so I just took the model pack down.  Not enough sales to justify keeping it up. I was curious to see if a commercially licensed generic pack of star ships would sell.  At some point, I plan on retooling the pack and putting it on a reseller site like rendo or something.  But on the boards here, it seems like no one worries much about licensing and just uses free models for any purpose, or they have enough modeling experience to just make their own.