Lightsaber boomerang throw effect idea

danilkp1234danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78
edited December 2019 in Post-production techniques

So would it be possible to create an effect like this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcoRTsAGKc

I got a real lightsaber prop and my only idea could be to try and replace it with a 3d one but I haven't an exact 3d model of the one I use and where should I replace it with the real prop.

@FilmSensei Tutorial idea?

Comments

• danilkp1234danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78

anybody got a idea on how to do this?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@danilkp1234 Video Copilot has a free Star Wars Model Pack that includes lightsabers for Luke, Obi Wan, and Vader. I would download that pack and use one of those models...

https://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2016/05/free-star-wars-model-pack/

@FilmSensei hmm interesting would you just track a saber to the hilt of the 3d model? And when would you replace your real prop with the 3d model after you throw the prop?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador
    edited December 2019

When one does the switch from a real to cg object with a throw, one thing to remember is this is a lot easier if shot static with camera moves on post. You'll need a clean background. 

You throw the real object. 

You'll need a clean background to patch out/remove the real thrown object. 

When you switch to the CG is up to you. It might be the frame after you let go. You might have thrown the object well enough to use the real object for a few frames to a second... Who can tell?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@danilkp1234 What @Triem23 said! It won't be as hard as you think to match the virtual 3D model to the real saber because throwing the saber will be cause it to be moving fast enough that it will be blurred.

@Triem23 but how would i track a saber to the hilt of the 3d lightsaber model wouldn't that look unrealistic 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Danilkp you don't "Track" a saber to the hilt of the 3D lightsaber at all. Because YOU are controlling the position of the 3D model it's as simple as parenting the saber points to the 3D model and everything moves together.

Now, if you want to talk about tracking the saber blade to the prop before you throw it, that's a different issue. Presumably, your prop will have some sort of rod that represents the saber blade to begin with, in which case you'd do it like any shot with the saber effects. You hand animate the points to follow the prop.

If your prop saber doesn't have a "blade" then get another prop saber.

edited December 2019

@Triem23 I am sorry still don't quite understand :(

but when I have replaced my prop lightsaber(has been tracked and using the saber plugin) i have the CG lightsaber I cant parent that to the point for the real prop saber effect since the 3d saber won't have to the same location as the real prop

TL;DR: Don't quite understand. Cant use same position for the Saber effect for both the Prop and the 3d model

Basically I can't see how I would add the blade effect to the 3d lightsaber since it doesn't have the same position as the prop lightsaber

Danilkp1234. What you're not getting is this. You would parent a point to your lightsaber hilt. 0 out the position, then slide the point to where you want it. Repeat for the tip point. This is the entire purpose of parenting - to "glue" a point into position relative to another point or object.

Let me be blunt. You need to get concepts of 3D space, keyframing and parenting down cold to where you don't even have to think about it. It DOESN'T MATRER if it's a point, model, 3D plane, or effect parameters like saber hilt! It's the same procedure. 

Your other thread where you asked about throwing the object out the window? That's the exact same question you've asked here. Your question about positioning the lightsaber blade for a chest stab? It's the exact same question. The answer to all three questions basically comes to positioning a point in 3D space, then parenting a second point to the first. We're basically repeating information at you that you don't seem to be understanding, and I don't know another way to explain things, which is frustrating for you (because you're not understanding the information) and for me, sensei and others - because WE don't understand how we can better explain things so you'll understand and stop asking the same question