Vegas Post and HitFilm Questions

Hi_VFXHi_VFX Website User Posts: 21 Just Starting Out
edited December 2019 in Post-production techniques

So, I've never heard of "Vegas Post" until like 20 minutes ago. I've always known about the editing software Vegas, but I didn't even realize it was bought from Sony until about 20 minutes ago. I researched it a bit and learned that FX Home provided the software for the VFX and Image aspect? I was getting ready to purchase Hitfilm Pro, but now I curious and filled with questions.

Why did FX Home decide to do this if they already have their own Video Production Suite?

I heard rumors Vegas Effects is faster, is this true and if so how?

If I bought Vegas Post would I still be supporting FX Home?

If any staff are available to answer these, that'd be awesome! I've been looking to buy new post-production software but Adobe CC is too expensive being the fact I'd only be using Premiere and After Effects, Hitfilm Pro looks promising but now this has come up and I would like to know more about it.

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,839 Ambassador

Hey @Hi_VFX , Frank here, not staff, just a traditional 2D artist and beta tester for Fxhome software.

I use both VEGAS POST and Hitfilm Pro, mainly for 3D heavy scenes and such.

Both programs are awesome but not exactly the same. VP doesn't have all the features that Hitfilm Pro has. Both have comparable speed but Hitfilm just had an update for better AMD video card performance. I have a 32gig Pro Duo that just rocks ever since the last mentioned update. Nvidia cards have always worked very, very well. :)

I haven't really tested to see which program is faster but I do notice that speed is very close. :)

An actual Fxhome staff member can answer your other questions thoroughly. :) 

• Hi_VFXHi_VFX Website User Posts: 21 Just Starting Out

@spydurhank

Thanks for the info! One question. If Hitfilm Pro has more features and better performance, why do you use Vegas Post? Is there something about it that is worth it?

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,190 Staff

@Hi_VFX I'm about to go on Holiday but I'll take 5 min to answer, hopefully that'll be good enough :)

VEGAS POST is a bundle that contains VEGAS Pro + VEGAS Effects + VEGAS Image. VEGAS Effects is essentially the same as HitFilm Pro, minus some third party effects (BCC, Mocha and the Foundry camera tracker). There are no performance differences. VEGAS Image is essentially Imerge Pro.

To know which version is best for you would depend on what you plan to use. If you plan to do a lot of 3D and need some camera or planar tracking then maybe buying HitFilm would be your best bet. If you plan to use VEGAS Pro for your video editing and then do the VFX shots in another program, then the VEGAS POST bundle is probably the best.

On that note, happy Holidays! B)

PS: @spydurhank I think that MAGIX has released VEGAS Effects 1.2 now, which contains AMD hardware decoding (it's the same as HF 14.1).

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,839 Ambassador

Oh sorry, yeah I also use VEGAS, it came bundled together I think, memory is still a little blurry, not fully awake yet but I'm pretty sure it was a bundle. 

Really I just like using and testing it, it is a lot of fun. :)

@CedricBonnier ,

Oh wow, thank you for that, I'm all giddy now because I get to go faster. :)

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,203 Moderator

@spydurhank The need for speed cannot be denied :)

@tddavis , Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, just downloaded the VEGAS update, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!! How do the Fxhome guys do it !? 

Honestly, whenever there is an update, I kinda turn into a little fan girl, like any girl that was ever into Elvis and saw him in person. :)

• DrHashDrHash Website User Posts: 13 Just Starting Out

I agree with the speed update. Since the NVidia Studio Drivers update - my render times haven't only halved but are about 1/5th of what they were. This is Hitfilm nested in Vegas Pro 17. So I would create an effects laden 32 bit open exr animation...roughly 3-5 seconds long or one shot in Hitfilm and then open the file in Vegas where I would add a luts filter and Ignite Pro Cine Style plug...sometimes even auto-volumetrics. The 3-5 second shot would take up to half an hour to render...now 5-10 mins. Now this may seam like a long time to render still, but when you're creating master 10 bit AVI files for final compositing, and also using 32 bit full range video processing and all at 4k - the render speed increase is short of nothing amazing. I suspect what has happened is, the programmers at NVidia, Magix and Hitfilm have finally coded the software and drivers to take advantage of higher performing machines. This makes sense, as hardware normally is more advanced than software. I haven't been able to get Hitfilm 14.1 to work in Vegas 17 yet, which may decrease render times further. I believe I might have to uninstall and reinstall Vegas and Hitfilm and reinstall with Vegas first to get them to play nicely. 

I like your style @DrHash ,

I do lots of exr heavy stuff as well but for now I'm keeping it a 16bit float as a compromise in quality. I like how you can go up to 32bits very much. What are your machine specs? is it a monster machine? 4K!? Wow, pretty awesome. :)

Does anyone know if FX Home benefits from this? Would I be supporting them buying Vegas Post? (Wierd question I know, but I am curious exactly what they get out of this.)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

FXHOME developed the software for/with the Vegas team. I believe (at least initially) the integration is a little smoother (but this may change as code moves around). 

Either way, FXHOME gets their fair share of revenue. They've had a good working relationship with the Vegas team for a very long time... Since before Hitfilm, in fact, as Effectslab/Visionlab (the precursors to Hitfilm) used to be offered by Sony as parts of varied Vegas bundles over the years.

Hitfilm or Vegas Post, either one is good for the FXHOME team. Vegas Post helps the gang in Madison (Vegas's team is in Madison, Wisconsin) as well.

But, @HI_VFX just asking that question will warm the heart of whichever FXHOME staff member sees it. ?

@Triem23

Thanks for the detailed response. And as for that last sentence, I think what FX Home is doing for the world of post-production is incredible. the amount of hard work and dedication they put into their software is astounding. FX Home doesn't seem to have any bit of greed, they genuinely seem like they are trying to better the post-production world. I understand they need the profit from their programs to support themselves, and I believe they deserve  it for all the awesome things they have done and I would just like to make sure I am giving them my support too

Also, a quick question to anyone who has used the latest Vegas Effects, does it now have everything Hitfilm Pro 14 does including support for select AE plugins?

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,953 Enthusiast

Quoting @CedricBonnier

"VEGAS Effects is essentially the same as HitFilm Pro, minus some third party effects (BCC, Mocha and the Foundry camera tracker)"

He did not comment on AE support, and he is likely on Holiday until after New Year.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,244 Staff

VEGAS Effects also doesn't include theEditor timeline found in HitFilm, since VEGAS Pro serves as the editor in that bundle. As far as AE support, I'm not sure on that, sorry. One of the developers will know, when they get back from holiday.

• lanmLMClanmLMC Website User Posts: 17 Just Starting Out

I have install Saber into VEGAS Effects' plguins folder. It can't be identified.