Multiple HitFilm Trackers not working in Vegas Pro (Resolved)

dalemccldalemccl Website User Posts: 18
I have a problem with HF 2 Ultimate and Vegas Pro 64-bit that HF Support can't reproduce, and I wonder if any Vegas users here can reproduce it. This is with Windows 7 64-bit.
If I right-click on a video event in the Vegas Pro timeline and choose "Add HitFilm FX", and within HF 2 Ultimate create a 2D tracking point to follow, let's say a face, then apply a Witness Protection FX blur to the tracked point, when I save in HF and go back to Vegas, it works.  The blur follows the tracked point when previewing in Vegas, blurring out the face as the person moves.  So far, this is how it should work.  But.....
If I perform the exact same steps on another clip in the timeline, when I go back to Vegas after saving, only one event with a tracked Witness Protection FX will follow its tracker.  The other event places the Witness Protection blur in the center of the Vegas preview screen and does not move from there, i.e. it does not follow the tracker.  It is as if HF and Vegas can only communicate about one tracked point per project. The tracking in one event works and the other doesn't.  This was happening with Vegas Pro 12 when I reported it to HF, and I just tried it with the new Vegas Pro 13 trial version with the same result.  I have uninstalled both products and re-installed them (Vegas 1st of course) but it didn't help.  I am using the newest builds of HF and Vegas Pro.
Is anyone here able to get more than one HF tracked event to play properly in the Vegas timeline?  If others can't reproduce this problem either, there must be something strange going on in my system.   
Thanks.

Comments

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I just tried it and got similar results as you described.
    I'm running Windows 7 64bit. The latest HF2U, and the last Vegas Pro 12.
    I added two clips to a new project.
    Added HF effect the the first, tracked a face and applied the witness blur. Worked as expected in Vegas.
    Added HF effect to second clip, tracked a face and applied the witness blur. When I went back to vegas,
    the second clip (last HF effected added) worked as it should, however, the first clip now had the blur centered in the frame and not moving.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Just for fun I did basically the same test, however, I did not track the faces, I manually keyframed a point to use and got the same behavior, so it seems to be more of failing to properly use a point than anything to do with tracking itself.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    I have had a similar issue with multiple-tracked lens flares. Windows 7,64-bit, most recent updates of HF2U and Vegas Pro 12.
  • dalemccldalemccl Website User Posts: 18
    Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the replies and the time taken to reproduce the problem.  I will contact HF support again and let them know that other users can reproduce the problem.  I don't know why they couldn't reproduce it.  Maybe I didn't explain the problem well enough in my problem report.
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,426 Staff
    Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the replies and the time taken to reproduce the problem.  I will contact HF support again and let them know that other users can reproduce the problem.  I don't know why they couldn't reproduce it.  Maybe I didn't explain the problem well enough in my problem report.

Hi everyone,
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have been able to successfully replicate the problem.
    It's in the hands of the developers now, I will keep you posted of any further information as & when I receive it.
    Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.
    Kind Regards,
    Ady

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Thanks for the update. Are you just talking about the tracking point issue or also the thing with flares I also brought up?
    Thanks for the update. Are you just talking about the tracking point issue or also the thing with flares I also brought up?

No problem.
    I was referring to issue Dale has raised initially, is the Light Flares problem not using a similar technique to that raised in the OP? 
    If not, can you detail how you come to the error you experienced with the Light Flares?
    Thanks,
    Ady

• dancerchrisdancerchris Website User Posts: 76 Just Starting Out
    I am able to get odd behavior with only 1 tracking .hfp file and 1 other .hfp file with no tracking.  The .hfp file with tracking will not preview or render correctly in VP13
    edited May 2014
    Just want to add an update in case Ady or someone else from support is reading this.  I posted about this problem on the Sony Creative Software Vegas Pro forum to see if anyone there could reproduce it, and one person replied that they did not encounter this problem when using HitFilm Express with Sony Vegas 12 (build 770).  Here is what was said:
    "I basically had an event on the Vegas timeline which I opened in Hitfilm. Did a tracking and connected a text layer to it.
    Repeated the same action onto a different event and both are tracking the text as it should." 

So it seems that it works properly with HitFilm Express but not with Ultimate 2, at least when tracking with a text layer.    
    Update:  the poster at SCS tried using the Witness Protection FX assigned to a point using HF Express and reports this:  
    "I do have Witness Protection in Hitfilm Express so I added it to an event as a point layer on my Tracking Text timeline and the pixelation on the Vegas timeline doesn't follow the tracking path while it does work fine inside Hitfilm. The text layer still does track properly on the Vegas timeline."
    I hope this additional info provides clues for the developers when (if) they try to diagnose the problem.  
    Just want to add an update in case Ady or someone else from support is reading this.  I posted about this problem on the Sony Creative Software Vegas Pro forum to see if anyone there could reproduce it, and one person replied that they did not encounter this problem when using HitFilm Express with Sony Vegas 12 (build 770).  Here is what was said:
    "I basically had an event on the Vegas timeline which I opened in Hitfilm. Did a tracking and connected a text layer to it.
    Repeated the same action onto a different event and both are tracking the text as it should." 

So it seems that it works properly with HitFilm Express but not with Ultimate 2, at least when tracking with a text layer.    
    Update:  the poster at SCS tried using the Witness Protection FX assigned to a point using HF Express and reports this:  
    "I do have Witness Protection in Hitfilm Express so I added it to an event as a point layer on my Tracking Text timeline and the pixelation on the Vegas timeline doesn't follow the tracking path while it does work fine inside Hitfilm. The text layer still does track properly on the Vegas timeline."
    I hope this additional info provides clues for the developers when (if) they try to diagnose the problem.  

Hi Dale,
    Thanks for the updated information, I've added this to the bug report.
    I'm hoping to have some more information on this soon, I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks,
    Ady

edited May 2014

Hi Dale,
    Thanks,
    Ady

Edited:  Removed due to erroneous information.
    @Ady it may be important to note that that user that Dale is quoting was using VP12.  The integration of edit list, i.e. .hfp files did not occur until VP13.  This has to do with the on the fly rendering that is coordinated between HF and VP13.  (I believe that VP12 used HF renders in the time line, not the .hfp).

Hi,
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about, but there have been no changes made to the Sony Integration (at least from our end), the way it works in VP12 is the same as VP13.
    Thanks,
    Ady

My experience with HF was with the trial version of Ultimate and then full Express version with VP12.  At the release of VP13 I upgraded to suite packaged with HF Ultimate.
    When using the trial version of Ultimate version with VP12 my event on the timeline could be edited in HF, but after the round trip it would be not identified as an HF project.  It seemed that the "link" of the event was related to a (what I thought) was a rendered file.  If I wanted to do additional editing in HF, ala "edit in HF" it would not go to the HF project, it would edit anew the render from HF.  I thought this was a bit odd, and poor integration.  I cannot say that I ever used the full version of HF Express with the VP12 integration (I did use it solo to experiment with different effects).  When I saw the NAB 2014 integration of HF with VP13 I figured there had been an integration change. For seemless integration I feel that the programs should just be working with the edit decision lists.  I was impressed with the new integration in theory,  So that's why I pulled the trigger to get HF Ultimate. 
    Perhaps there was something wrong with my experience.  Perhaps It was the limitation with the trial version.  If you say the integration has not changed between VP and HF I'll believe you but can tell you that is not my experience.   I am frustrated by this thread's development.  I have been enjoying doing video touchup with the clone tool and the "seemless integration with VP13.  But then the improper rendering gets  frustrating and I have to go back to what I thought was the VP12 way of using a HF render in the VP timeline.
     Thanks for your reply.

Hi Dale,
    Thanks,
    Ady

@Ady  Any luck with this problem yet?  It is severely impacting my workflow with HF.  (I typically only use HF effects when I need the tracker.)
    Thanks,
    c

edited May 2014
    @Ady Any luck with this problem yet? It is severely impacting my workflow with HF. (I typically only use HF effects when I need the tracker.)
    Thanks,
    c
    Hi Chris,
    Sadly I have nothing new to report, the bug is still in the hands of the developers at present. There will be a meeting later this afternoon, where upon I will ask the status of this particular problem.
    I'll post back later with what was said, sorry I cannot be of more help.
    EDIT: Investigation into the issue is still on going, there should hopefully be more information on this issue by the end of this week (30/05/14)
    Thanks,
    Ady
    @Ady  Well a week has gone by.  How's this going?
    @Ady  Well a week has gone by.  How's this going?

Hi Chris,
    I'm pleased to say that the bug has been fixed internally as of today (06/06/2014).
    We have an update scheduled for next week (pending QA approval) & we are hoping to place this fix in the same update. All being well the fix should be live early next week.
    Sorry for the delay in getting this to you, it took a while to work out what was going on and thank you all for your patience.
    Have a great weekend!
    Thanks,
    Ady

Thanks, Ady; as dancerchris said, that is excellent. . I am looking forward to the update.
    edited June 2014
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update.
    EDIT: I'm pleased to say that the build has passed QA & will be released early next week (W/C 16th ofJune), Monday / Tuesday.
    I am not here next week, but I will be logging in & answering questions when I can.
    Thanks for your patience
    Ady
    edited June 2014
    I just installed the update and used HF trackers assigned to the Witness Protection FX for two separate Vegas events (clips).  They both tracked properly when played in the Vegas preview window!!  
    Thanks to the Development team for fixing this and to Ady for guiding it through the process and keeping us updated on progress.
    I just installed the update and used HF trackers assigned to the Witness Protection FX for two separate Vegas events (clips).  They both tracked properly when played in the Vegas preview window!!  
    Thanks to the Development team for fixing this and to Ady for guiding it through the process and keeping us updated on progress.

+1

Hi Guys,
    No problem at all, it took a bit longer than we wanted but I'm glad we got there in the end.
    Thank you for the kind words, but mostly thank you for your patience whilst we sorted this out.
    Kindest Regards,
    Ady