Lightsaber though chest from Rise of the Dark Side

So at  a lightsaber goes though a chest how can you make that effect?

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,171 Moderator

@danilkp1234 I'm going to guess you could create the light saber blade growing out from the hilt and then freehand pen tool mask around the person getting skewered so it doesn't cross over that video layer.  But just guessing here...they may have far more techie with it than my old brain can fathom. :)

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,360 Enthusiast
    edited December 2019

Um. Looks like two sabers. One being thrown that is just masked out at the back of his body. The second looks to be another one just (growing) emitting from the chest area. Also looks like a few effects assets added ie; sparks, distortion, chromatic shift, blur.......

The blade definitely has a mind of its own..heading almost straight at the back but comes up at 60 degrees plus thru his chest... :-) Nice effect.. A vengeance thrust just after the head chop! 

Loop 12.5 thru 14 or so and you can get a pretty good idea how its done. 

• danilkp1234danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78

@GrayMotion would be cool to see a tutorial on doing that though :)

@filmsensei if want a idea 

@GrayMotion I'm trying this effect with the VideoCoPilot saber plugin but I can't mask out the saber behind someone has anyone gotten any luck with that it works with the built-in lightsaber 2 point but not with the video copilot plugin which I think looks better. 

edited December 2019

So. Many ways to do this depending on footage. One way - 2 copies of footage with Saber on plane (blend mode to add) sandwiched between them in the layer stack. Draw a mask round what you want it to go behind on the top footage layer. Animate path of the saber. To have it come out the front of the object duplicate the first saber layer and put it above the top footage layer and animate accordingly.

Make sense to you?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I am personally hoping to see a tutorial on that particular shot!

edited December 2019

Yep. I'm with you @FilmSensei. Maybe FXHome has it planned?!? ? Be cool if they did.

I tried out what I said above before I typed it. It does work as expected (a lot of roto) then I tried with an actor on green screen layer over background footage. A bit easier that way.. as we know.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Two layers of Saber, guys. First one only has to effectively go to where the actor occludes the blade. Then you need only a small roto mask to clean one edge. 

The second saber is the one emerging and needs no roto at all. 

@Triem23 Yeah :) but it would still be cool to see a video on it or the project files released

edited December 2019

You cannot mask the saber layer Mike. But yea...what I said above...2 Saber layers, mask the behind saber on the footage layer

@GrayMotion I'm not trying to mask out the saber layer both instead the footage it works fine with the light sword 2 points but not with the video copilot plugin is that a bug?

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 296 Staff

You can mask the Saber effect if you change the Alpha Mode at the bottom.

But I didn't use Saber for this shot; for the first lightsaber I used a 4 Point Lightsword Ultra effect, and for the impalement it was a regular 2 Point Lightsword Ultra.

I manually tracked a Point onto Tom's chest, with the correct rotation for his movement. I then duplicated it and offset the Z Anchor Point to have it move outwards but still have the same rotation. These two points were set as the Start and End for the 2 Point Lightsword effect.

?? Two thumbs up for the Alpha info Javert