I made a video for gathering System Specs

triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator
edited December 2019 in General

https://youtu.be/i4AUwp0jOh4

Feel free to use this video to help on the forums.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,237 Ambassador

Nice. I have one of these myself, but it's buried like 10-11 minutes of Essential Hitfilm 07, so a quick and dirty is helpful. 

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,362 Enthusiast

Leaving out the Mac users? Oh wait...I forgot...we smarter than the PC user :-)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,237 Ambassador

@GrayMotion or don't have a Mac to screencap? I admit, I asked Javert to to that clip for my video... ?

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Luckily, I believe Mac is as simple as Apple menu>About my Mac

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,362 Enthusiast

Hope you 2 know I'm messing with you...and you are right Triforcefx.. is as easy as that. 

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@triforcefx is it ok if I add this to the sticky post on our subreddit (and forward it to @ady for future use on a sticky post here)?

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

@TheBenNorris

Sure thing! I made this video to assist HitFilm users. As far as I know, it’s the easiest way to find your system specs on Windows- particularly the elusive GPU model that they don’t include on the About my PC page.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

In Windows you can type into the start menu search for "system". That should be enough to get the "system information" app to show in the search list. The first item listed on my system.

There is a lot of excess technical info shown by this app, so maybe not the easiest source to use. The good the bad and the ugly are all there.

@NormanPCN

Indeed, System Information is useful at times, for the longest time I used it myself.

The reason I decided not to use it is because it’s a bit more difficult to get to (especially when Start menu search decides not to work like I’ve found on multiple occasions), and as you mentioned, there’s ton of extra information. We typically only ask for the specs covered in this video, with the omission of OS, which is assumed to be Windows 10 (hopefully x64) if they followed this video.

Of note, an export (File>Export...)  of the System Information list could be extremely useful in figuring out if someone’s up-to-date on all their hardware and the OS, though it may contain some personal data which might make it more of a Support tool than a forum tool.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@triforcefx I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed Windows' search seems to have a mind of it's own. I've posted a link to your tutorial in our sticky post on the subreddit. It's a useful approach that you've covered, as it helps negate the often irrelevant and daunting information presented by System Information.