FXhome's ATST Model

FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Has anyone played with the ATST model provided very generously for free with this FXhome tutorial?

I am having troubles getting the textures correct. I am fairly sure that the diffuse texture is not the right one. Has anyone been able to properly composite this model?

Comments

• zach_alanzach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 439 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2019

I tried the model as well, and something is definitely off. I believe the UV mapping on the model does not properly correspond to the texture maps, causing the textures to be misaligned. 

It is not just the diffuse map. Try applying the normal map, and things get even more crazy looking.

There are also some inverted normals near the center turret, causing it to appear dark.

I think applying the animation to the model also messes with the normals of the model, but can't say for sure.

The model looks great in their trailer, so something must have happened with the version they provided. Not sure how to fix it yet. I will try loading it into Blender and maybe re-exporting it from there.

EDIT: Upon opening the model in Blender, I was able to flip the normals in the areas that were dark in the Hitfilm import window. Also, the textures seem to line up perfectly with the UV map in the UV editor. Not sure what is causing the texture issue...

EDIT #2: I don't think there is actually a problem with the diffuse texture. It looks a little strange with all of the different colored panels, but it seems to match what is shown in the linked video. I believe the only issue is with the normal map. If you have it applied, remove it and the model will look much nicer.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,236 Ambassador

Let's tag in @JavertValbarr. If it's a glitchy upload I'm sure the team wil fix it an provide an updated link. ?

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador

Hmm.. looks like the textures read in ok and are aligned to me.  I'm on 14.1, btw.

One thing to note is the model and corresponding animation come in behind the camera.  Had to parent the model to a point and rotate in Y 180.  But it does look like the textures align properly.  I don't see any flipped polys either.

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast

where is the video footage too?  that was missing with the model

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I am on 14.1 also. I wonder why my experience is so different from @Stargazer54? Maybe I should make a quick video to show you what I am talking about.

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast

where is the video footage too?  that was missing with the model

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@Andersen01498 Is it "missing". FxHome usually have not supplied media for the various short film projects. If you believe the whole project is supposed to be there, then the HFP project file is missing as well.

Yes, the comment section with the link does say "project file", but I believe that is copy/paste standard template for the comment section. Typical of TUT  videos where they do actually supply a project file and media as necessary. I believe they just did not edit the label to be more technically correct.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,822 Ambassador

I just opened the object in Filmer.  :)

Have you tried exporting the model out of another 3D app first? This came out of an old glitchy version of Blender 2.80 so I'm not surprised at all that it comes out funny. Some addons and exporters were broken during the release of that Blender 2.80 version including the OBJ and ALEMBIC exporters.

Honest mistake and this type of thing will and does happen to anyone of any skill level so be kind to the artist that created the object and animation.

I can clean it from Filmer 2.82 in a few days if you guys want because some things are missing in the download file, the .mtl file for one so you'll need to load the taxtures in a 3D app, it also has inverted normals and overlapping geometry. It'll take me a few button clicks in Filmer to fix because I designed some tools... buttons really that will repair 3rd party 3D objects without having to tab into edit mode. Hmmm maybe a quick video after the holidays?

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 296 Staff

Just tried importing the model in the download link and it looked fine to me. If anyone could upload what they see, that would be helpful.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador
    edited December 2019

This looks mismatched to me. Perhaps I am wrong, in which case I apologize in advance...

https://i.postimg.cc/3xr5Tskj/ATST.png

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,236 Ambassador

@JavertValbarr @TheBenNorris @FilmSensei @Andersen01498 @ZachAllen_Productions @NormanPCN

This is a long shot, but what happens if you turn off GPU acceleration? There's already a known bug (patched internally, yes?), and I DOUBT they relate, but, you never know. 

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,822 Ambassador

It aint Hitfilm you guys, read my post above. it is the Blender version used which caused the problem. 

@spydurhank I did see, Frank, but still find it odd some see the issue and others don't. ?

@spydurhank I am not using a Blender version. I am bringing the model as downloaded directly into HitFilm. It just seems to me that the textures are off.

Yeah I've gotcha,

I see the glitches too in Hitfilm but I know for a fact that it is not on the Hitfilm side. I know because I code Blender and I know where all the glitches are for each version. The symptoms with the 3D object so far expressed are common with the Blender version used which introduces a 50/50 chance that the model and animation will import correctly. That is why it works for some people while not for others.

That is also why my Filmer exporters work while people have much trouble with the official Blender exporters. Trust me dude... I know. Not the fault of Hitfilm, you're basically barking up the wrong tree. :)

@FilmSensei ,

Not you Jay, The model that was provided to us from the Fxhome guys was exported from an older glitchy version of Blender. 

@TheBenNorris @JavertValbarr just pointing you at @spydurhank's post, two above this. Given his experience, he's certainly correct, and any issues here aren't at the Hitfilm end. Presumably a re-export from a different build (Frank, recommend one) and re-upload of the file will fix the issue. 

• Tedinator01Tedinator01 Website User Posts: 39 Just Starting Out

I seem to import the model just fine, but the animation says “mismatched material.” I have no idea what that means. 

Same here. Alembic with mismatched material error. Model disappears with animation applied. Probably due to error.

As for import error/issues with texture and/or geometry I'm not sure exactly what to look for. If the error(s) are not in your face I may not see it.

The model doesn't disappear, it just gets moved. Go to a top view and scroll out. You'll see where it went. If you watch the FXhome tutorial on it, the same thing happens to them... material mismatch and the model "disappears."

Start watching at 3:55 (It actually happens at exactly 4:08)...

Ahh, thanks. Confirmed.

• danilkp1234danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78

Any solution to this ?

I can clean it in less than 5 minutes but not till after the holidays.

• Tedinator01Tedinator01 Website User Posts: 39 Just Starting Out

Thanks! I eventually rewatched the tutorial and ended up seeing that. 

@fkoois ,

Yeah, it was exported out of a buggy version of Blender 2.80.0

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff

@fkoois you can certainly learn filmmaking skills through online resources. In fact, Ryan Connolly and other filmmaking greats learned loads through the internet, though eventually you have to be able to put it into practise. 

This has been created by a talented user of ours, and so might be a good place to start: https://www.udemy.com/course/hitfilmexpress/ Hope that helps!

@fkoois ...and of course there is my "Absolute Beginner's Course on HitFilm Express!" You can get the best deal on that by going to my website...

http://jayhaynes.com/

Oh man, I remember when people would poke fun at you by asking, "Where'd you get your degree from... the internet?" :)

@fkoois , You can absolutely learn filmmaking from online videos, or from one on one Skype type chats, there are also Film courses online. I started with absolutely no computer knowledge as I'm just a traditional fine artist but can now write code and software as well as create any 3D asset or environment that I can think of. 

For deciding on what software you may need, whatever you decide to use, read the manual first to see if it can do what you need. Most times you'll need to be able to combine output from different programs like audio, video, image manipulation, and my best all time favorite, mixing 3D assets realistically with live footage and actors. :)

You can choose one discipline in Filmmaking to learn or you can learn them all. Your learning curve will shorten the more passionate you are with the learned subject. For real, the more you're into it, the faster you'll learn it. :)

Personal experience: Let me say first that from 2008 to about 9 months ago, I was a very unfocused person and easily distracted so this is something that I did on and off with sometimes months going by that involved no new learning. Now I specialize in compositing 3D with live footage and creating entire 3D sets and assets mixed with a tad bit of coding to design tools which provide faster rendered output. 

When I first started learning about filmmaking with the use of software, I didn't know anything about computers, software or navigating the internet. I bought my first computer in 2008 so I was coming into filmmaking super brand new. Anyone that can go that far back, think Visionlab by Fxhome, Blender 2.47, Icarus camera tracker, Voodoo camera tracker and Gimp as the software which I had access to. :)

First I learned about formats, mostly image and video formats and byte sizes for either speedy previz stuff or higher quality renders. Learned initially in one of the old Fxhome forums and later some pros that actually make movies. Formats are cool and have many uses. :)

I was an easily distracted person at the time so I learned 3D camera tracking next with the help of some of the Fxhome user base who sent me links to YouTube. When I see a technique, in this case camera tracking, I immediately see ways to improve that technique and simplify it. In my case, there was no way for the user to orient and align the solved 3D camera to the 3D world generated by a 3D application like Blender 2.47, so I created a universal method that allows me to align the solved 3D camera to the 3d application but also allows me to export any 3D data from one 3D application to another 3D application or 3D render engine. Really cool stuff. 

I then learned how to model, texture paint, uv unwrap, rig and animate organic and hard surface 3D objects. This part was easy because I have a life long background with traditional fine art and 2D animation/Cartoons. I throw in Camera work and storyboarding in this category even though they are used earlier in the pipeline. Art is art to me so thinking non-linearly is a plus.

Still off and off for months at a time, I learned about pbr shaders and textures in 2016 which is one of the coolest methods of 3D painting that I've learned from some nice Pros. It helps you get realistic results super easy and simple.

This year in 2019 after some life changes, family loss and self reflection, I really buckled down and committed myself purely to learning as well as to my art and how to incorporate it into Filmmaking and 3D creation in general. Today I can code my own version of Blender named Filmer and am able to express any/every artistic idea very easily with Filmer and Hitfilm Pro. I am a far cry from 2008. :)

Whatever Filmmaking discipline you choose or if like me you choose to learn them all, when you go into a learning session, go in without any bias and be relaxed as you can be, have a snack and plenty of fluids nearby. Go in happy and exited because you're about to learn some of the coolest stuff that there is to learn on this Earth. There is a lot of info out there so absorb it the best that you can and have fun. :)

I recommend all these channels. All these guys are good with 3D and Hitfilm. Some use different 3D applications but all use Hitfilm.

http://jayhaynes.com/ @FilmSensei and his channel directly below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH0pZyaX_P3xFYkqj545Rdw

Hitfilm Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMX7KaXAFkJG7uPsQBepfA

@Triem23

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoxIFCFVZMs0-JSrrZREZdQ

@GrayMotion

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNRKriNN_W6zG-jrj8DE3Zw

@FlyingBanana78

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeSCVIePKOkJwYGw3rl5UVA

@NxVisualStudio

https://www.youtube.com/user/NXrecordings2011

Oh and one tip... don't use sarcasm as a text communication method. Come to find out, I am the worlds foremost export on not knowing how to convey sarcasm. Simply, I don't sarcasm too good. :)

Here is my YouTube channel if you're interested. It is all about 3D and Hitfilm Pro. :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/spydurhank/videos

And my website. Also all about 3D and Hitfilm.

https://www.owmycgi.net/

My Fxhome form thread. Remember, I don't sarcasm very well so I'd skip some of the long lines of text. Just check out the videos and art. Some links are dead after all these years but there is a lot of pretty good 3D art.

https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/348/blender-hitfilm-presets-addons-owmycgi-net-design-and-vfx/p1

Anyway, dive in and have fun, be patient with yourself. You can do it. :)

Just Frank