Edit on my laptop, export on my desktop?

MTFTGamesMTFTGames Website User Posts: 8

Is there a way to edit a video on my laptop but then send it to my desktop to be exported?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,233 Ambassador

Well, yes, but the chances are you'll either need an external hard drive or an internet connection, cloud service, and a lot of time. 

Hitfilm Project files do NOT save media (when you think about it, this is for the best), but only contain "pointers" to where the media is stored on a drive. You will have to move your project file and ALL project media to the other computer. If you've been smart and created a folder for your project and put all project media in that folder (or subfolder) to begin with then you can pretty much just copy over that folder. Otherwise you'll have to search for everything and compile it. 

Any pre-renders? You'll have to copy those from their folder and paste them to the other machine. 

If you are working in Express you can only activate/render on one machine at a time. You can manage activations from your account page on this forum.

In Hitfilm's File/Options menu there is an option to save "relative file paths." If it's not checked, check it. Eventually it makes things easier. Think of "relative paths" as "directions from here" (relative to the project file). IF you have put all your project media in the same folder (or subfolders of) your project is in, AND your Hitfilm uses relative file paths, when you move the folder over the project will just open on the second machine. If you have NOT already started with project media in the Hitfilm Project's folder OR do not have relative files checked when you open the project on the second machine Hitfilm won't know where anything is and you'll have to relink the media. 

• MTFTGamesMTFTGames Website User Posts: 8

thanks, what would you say is the best way to transfer files then? I dont have any external drives other than a usb 3.0 flash drive that does NOT have enough space

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,233 Ambassador

You'll either need another drive, or multiple bounces via the flash drive. 

Or, use a cloud server, but the upload will take forever... Something to start just before bed, so it can upload overnight. 

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

Just get start getting used to using external drives. They're inexpensive enough these days, and will make your life a lot easier... until you get to the point where you have 30-40 of them cluttering up your workspace. :)

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Yes, if this is the workflow you want to use, then an external drive (make sure it uses USB 3 or Thunderbolt if your computers support it) is a very worthwhile investment. Otherwise, (assuming you’re trying to speed up exports) you might as well just render from the laptop.

• chrismpricechrismprice Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out
    edited February 20

Hi, There is a cool way to edit the size using [irrelevant link removed] It also improves the quality.
    This can be done on the laptop Online, as you wanted.

@chrismprice your comment seems off topic - linking to an image resizer has nothing to do with transferring a project between computers. It's kind of a "bot" response. Here's my occasional, "hey, convince me you're not a bot" post. 

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@triem23 I'm fairly confident it's a bot. I noticed them post a strangely generic comment on an old-ish thread earlier. @chrismprice as Triem asked, please prove us wrong.

How am I supposed to prove to you?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,175 Moderator

@chrismprice I suspect you already did by responding to the request. :)

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@chrismprice commenting like that works just fine. Still, I'm not seeing how your comment was relevant to this post, which has been inactive for a while now.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,921 Enthusiast
    edited February 20

Definitely a bot. Note bots can have human input, notifications, reply to messages, etc.

Bots aren't limited to just spam and that's it, this is 2020.

----

I think Triem's solution would be the least headache inducing. Remote editing (not just rendering) is something that I was interested in but never spent the time or resources to make it a reality. I don't think it would work well with HitFilm at all however. It would work a lot better if you have the api tools, like adobe's render farm easy integration. Furthermore, USB is a country mile worse than SATA, and SATA is country mile worse than NVMe (M.2) - SSD. You want a low latency and reliable data connection, external don't make much sense in a use case like this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/automated-rendering-network-rendering.html

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,361 Enthusiast

I wonder if a CAPTCHA is in order to help somewhat in relieving the worry of the "bot"?

@GrayMotion It would but legit users would get hit by it too. I certainly wouldnt want to spend time in captchas even as a first time poster. But a captcha is generally bypassed by bots in a matter of seconds, both visual and audio. Shouldnt go into detail here but basically, if its a generic username, message that is or is not related to the topic with a unrelated link, assume its a bot. Plenty of resources online which will show you how advanced they can be. Take note that Alexa, Siri, etc, are bots, but i digress. 

@CNK trying to not just immediately assume everyone's a bot because some people got a bit upset about it recently after they posted an unfamiliar link.

edited February 21

@TheBenNorris Yes but if I setup a script, then I could act as both, too.

I think you mean the uncommon social media link from before, or similar, but honestly, there's a lot of self promotion or people with malicious intent. It can't be any less strict than this when it comes to the actual process, despite the lack of PM's.

A white list system is needed to solve this problem, because then their messages won't get through, and the biggest threat then becomes links from within those links.

I understand that this forum has certain limitations from talking with Daniel who was doing what you do now before.

At the end of the day, I'm personally not concerned by anyone's outcry or claims that they're not a bot, because the only thing I judge them on is message structure, message history and Google filters. If they don't want to look like a bot, or be called out for being a bot/suspicion raised against these people, bots or both. Then they should apply a bit more common sense before they hit "post comment". 

And don't forget, we still got a good track record. We also don't call people out for small things. I don't recall that happening even once.

My ¢2.

GUYS, you have gone too far from the topic of conversation.

I'm closing this thread now. Please try to avoid posting irrelevant links in future.

This discussion has been closed.