Color Bit Depth on Export

Neptunos
Neptunos Posts: 73 Just Starting Out*

After reading through the manuals I’m a little bit confused on the  color depth on export, So for example I’ve 10Bit footage from the GH5 converted to ProRes and add some effects rendering. Also I mix in some 8Bits from the GoPro. In project settings I set to 16Bit floating. What will be the output of the mp4/mov file? I did not find any options to select 8Bit or 10Bit (in case of the 8Bit file it will be somehow upscaled to 10Bit without quality increase, for sure). What do I miss here or is there some kind of automatic

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

Export to AVC/H.264 in MP4 will always be 8-bit 4:2:0 from Hitfilm.

Cineform output is 10-bit for 422 formats. Cineform RGB(A) output is 12-bit. PNG output is always 8-bit.

Hitfilm will automatically convert input bit depth to the timeline bit depth. There is a global preference to limit file decode to 8-bit regardless of timeline bit depth but that is defaulted off.

Timeline bit depth is always automatically converted to output bit depth as necessary.

• Neptunos
    Neptunos Posts: 73 Just Starting Out*

@NormanPCN so every clip on the timeline keeps its original Bit depth and when I export it will be adjusted to 8, 10,...? Which means I don’t have to worry about it?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

@Neptunos

Hitfilm will automatically convert input bit depth to the timeline bit depth. There is a global preference to limit file decode to 8-bit regardless of timeline bit depth but that is defaulted off.

Timeline bit depth is always automatically converted to output bit depth as necessary.

--

So timeline bit depth is the key here. It does  not matter what the media bit depth is. As stated, media is converted to timeline bit depth.