How resize/scale 3D that is too big

filmingdude4567
filmingdude4567 Posts: 12
edited November 2019 in Post-production techniques

recently i have been working with 3d models in blender moving them over from blender into hitfilm i followed the FXhome tutorial where josh shows how to import the Walker model everything works as it should expect when i add the animation data to it the model gets over sized badly i went to the transform section then to scale but that does not help the model flips upside down? my comp shot is in 1920x1080 ?? i know it is something real simple that i'm over looking

Comments

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,156 Expert

Hey @filmingdude4567 ,

First try creating a 3D point in Hitfilm, make sure it is set to 3D. Parent the  Walker mesh to the 3D point, then scale the point. You should be good to go without having to go back into Blender.

For the future, here's some more info to watch out for, when exporting 3D objects out of Blender and how to fix them. You've got to catch all if any mistakes before export so here goes... I'll use the Walker mesh as an example.

The Walker animation scale issue is not really your fault unless you already know that, the Walker mesh was built in an older version of Blender 2.76 if I recall correctly so the animation, geometry and shading could be way off if you're using it in the new Blender 2.8 or higher because it still has lots of bugs,  but Josh tells you what version of Blender they used in the video so you can find and download the correct version if needed. Also the Walker mesh although it is pretty good for what it is, it was not actually built to be exported out of Blender. Some of the Walker parts do not have the correct scale applied and it also has several unapplied modifiers and incorrect shading which will mess up a number of things in Hitfilm if you don't take care of them in Blender first. The incorrect shading is actually produce by one of the modifiers which also happens to be the same modifier that always messes up Alembic animations if it is not applied... go figure. :)

You would need to select every single object belonging to the Walker mesh, in Blender and make sure that the scale is set to 1. If not then simply click Control+A to apply the scale to the selected object. Then rinse and repeat for every individual object. 

Apply any modifiers before you export because modifiers create extra geometry which the exporters sometimes act glitchy and ignore. It will for sure mangle your exported animation. Even if you only apply the modifiers during Export, this could still cause you problems so you should really apply them way before export. The modifiers should be applied before the UV Unwrapping phase to avoid all issues. 

Go through the tutorial again except this time skip the part where Josh scales the alembic file during export as that was specific to Blender 2.76, you shouldn't need to scale during export in Blender 2.8 or higher. This should prevent the object from scaling too large after you apply the alembic animation.

Don't feel bad, lots of folks miss the little things, I even missed the modifiers not being applied and the shading issue during my first export of the Walker mesh back when that tutorial first came out. :)

So yeah, watch for modifiers, and scale but the mesh normal shading is up to you because everyone has their own style and vision of how they want 3D lights to play with their 3D objects. I personally shade my objects smooth at 30° for hard surface objects and above 35° for organics, nature and  glass. The Walker mesh doesn't have any supporting geometry so you'll need to set the shading angle to about 20° or maybe even lower in Hitfilm. 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff

When you import a 3D model into HitFilm, switch the the Advanced tab of the model import dialog, and you can specify the scale of the model. Change the Unit used to a smaller unit, and the size of the model will be reduced accordingly.

• spydurhank

Yeah but the Alembic file is what is re-scaling the model too big,

He needs to not do the scale adjustment during the alembic export that Josh did in his Walker tutorial. That part is no longer required.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff

Thanks for that clarification, @spydurhank.

• spydurhank

No worries @AxelWilkenson ,

I missed it too when the Walker video first came out, struggled with it for a looooong while before I realized why the exports weren't working correctly for me. I was super embarrassed that I didn't see it right away so I didn't mention it to anyone for like... ever. Yup, pretty embarrassing. :)

• spydurhank sorry for the late reply had WiFi problems, but thank you so much you are a life saver i did what you said and made a 3D point and was able to fix it, without your help i doubt i would have been able to figure it out on my own. and thanks for all the info i have learned alot from you today, Thanks for the help.

• spydurhank