How to make image look like it's at night

HeySiri
HeySiri Posts: 382 Just Starting Out*

Ok, so I'm not talking about the Day for Night effect, because I'm working with an indoor shot. We tried shooting it at low lighting but my camera got way too grainy so we had to light it up a bit, but now I'm not sure how to make it look more like it was at night in a room lit only by candles when I had a white light shining in there (I didn't have anything to tint the light yellow, unfortunately).

Here's a frame from the shot: feel free to take a stab at it but I really just need advice.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EY5jOwmwuYWVe4JdZ7lBs_a1qtQamXD9/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

I'd pretty much already buy that shot. Try a white balance effect and push a bit more yellow. If the shot is on a tripod, maybe do this on a masked grade layer. It's only where some of the wall is picking up some white giving the game away. Honestly, the shot might stand as-is. 

• HeySiri
    edited November 2019

@Triem23 I played around with the curves effect to get better contrast and got a good look I think

https://imgur.com/a/9WwsUYk

I'll probably just tone down the red a little tiny bit and call it good?

• Triem23

For whatever reason I can't see the second image on either Opera browser (mobile) or Firefox (Windows). 

• HeySiri

@triem23

https://imgur.com/a/9WwsUYk

im using safari and it works fine? 

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@HeySiri  I agree with @Triem23.  THe first shot looks very convincing as is, and I'm on Chrome and don't see the other 2 images either FWIW :)

• HeySiri

@tddavis @Triem23 I made such a big mistake  I filmed a two minute short, my first actual film, and it's going really well once I've gotten all the help I need from these forums making day for night effects work out and stuff. But I messed up. With this curséd image (any filmmaker will probably shudder):

https://imgur.com/bU2BmwO

Please don't patronize me. I know it's bad. I hope I can save it or at least mostly save it (because all my other shots are really good so maybe one okay shot will pass...?). I had a flashlight to give enough light in the room to film but it overexposed this wall once I did my initial color grading to make the candles more red. Is there anything I can do to take down that horrible overexposure???

Also, I'm using a single curves effect with every channel set to a simple s-curve to get the red lighting as I did in the room. Very simple setup. But it overexposed that one light. Without the curves effect, it's still brightly lit but it's not pure white then. So there is some data in those pixels, more than it looks like with the curves effect on, though.

• Triem23

Ok, if the original shot doesn't blow out you can save the shot. 

You'll need to do some masking and roto and split the shot into layers. If the camera is static, then it's not that hard - you'll be able to mask the back hall with a simple mask. Take it all the way across the actor.

You'll need a third layer that's a roto of your actor. Only the parts over the hallway... Your roto can get sloppy again on the dark half of the room. Then you can give the same effects to the bottom (base) and top (actor roto) so they match and grade the hallway separately. 

So, a little mocha work on the roto is the hardest part. 

Just remember with compositing, it's not always about layering multiple elements - actor, background, explosion, etc - sometimes you composite a clip over itself for the color correction challenge here (or an explosion between actor and back wall, but you didn't greenscreen). 

Don't panic, dude. You got this, and you'll get that shot matching the rest in no time. 

• HeySiri
    edited November 2019

@Triem23 after about ten hours of constant editing my mind is going into panic mode I guess haha. That doesn't actually sound that bad — I find a bit of rotoscoping relaxing, to be honest. Just a little bit anyway. I'll get to work on that tomorrow, then! I can't wait to share my film, edited completely inside Hitfilm Pro 13/14!

The only unfortunate part is that the roto isn't just for a static shot... the man gets out of bed and the camera follows him to the door. So there's quite a bit of movement. Only a ten-second shot though so.

• HeySiri
    edited November 2019

@Triem23 after seven hours of rotoscoping... finally finished that shot!

https://imgur.com/HlQcRsc

As you can see, I fixed that overexposed wall in the back and also added some grain to blend it with the rest of the scene.

But then I notice... the door is too white...

I've tried playing with color correction wheels and exposure to tweak that door but I fear I may have to rotoscope the door... but my talent walks right in front of the door so that'd be a lot of rotoscoping... and I really don't want to do any more roto work for at least a few weeks haha.

Do you have any suggestions on how to maybe color the door to match the scene more without heavy roto work? I'm having trouble getting it to match the orange of the rest of the scene.

BTW: I didn't realize how well Hitflim's coloring tools worked for what I'm doing. I shot in a fairly dark room lit by candles and one flashlight and my video came out kind of bad and grainy. I could always reshoot it I suppose but I wanted to make it through this one film experience, you know? But in the future, I'd turn on the room's lights and just darken and recolor in post because I know I can do that better and the quality will be better than what it is now.