How to make A Scanner Darkly 'cartoon looking effect'

adamsfilms12
adamsfilms12 Website User Posts: 71 Just Starting Out

I'm looking to replicate the cartoon'ish look of this film, i'm using the newest version of hitfilm express. would i need to buy any color add on's ? the same effect is in the game borderlands 

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    edited November 2019

Let's be very clear. "A Scanner Darkly" is NOT a film you can reproduce the look of with a set of filters. "A Scanner Darkly," ultimately was hand-rotoscoped. (Borderlands would have specific materials/textures set up for a cel-look and used a toon shader) 

From the article - an interview with the tech director/animation lead on "A Scanner Darkly" - linked below:  "I think a lot of people see that type of animation, and they think it’s a filter and that it’s done by a computer. It’s not at all, though. It’s hand-drawn, and it depends on the artist, and whether they had the time and put the care into it."

https://thedissolve.com/features/movie-of-the-week/827-a-scanner-darklys-head-of-animation-talks-about-th/

So, with that said, you're not going to get something that looks very" Scanner Darkly" unless you want to get into the joys of roto.

In which case you need mocha and a lot of free time. Tutorial below. 

As far as filters go, most of the Stylize group can help. Cartoon filter, maybe. Else something like Oil Painting or Posterize on one layer with a duplicate layer with Find Edges, Invert and blend mode set to Multiply.

Those are the filters that can start to build a similar look, but it's just always going to look like filters, unless you, well.... Roto. 

• adamsfilms12

Triem23 thanks for replying, and yeah i was sorta hoping there would be a way around the dreaded rotoscoping haha. might try a few filters i know it was a time consuming film to be made back in 06 i believe it was, and was hoping it would be a bit easier to do in todays time. i may try the cartoon filter and oil painting filter like you suggested as long as i can get a somewhat similar look i'll be happy

• NewBlue_MJ
    NewBlue_MJ Website User Posts: 9

Hi @adamsfilms12 ,

You can also check out the NewBlue Cartoonr Plus effect:

https://newbluefx.com/products/stylizers/cartoonr-plus/

It's not going to be exactly the same look as A Scanner Darkly but you might find a look that you like. You can download a free trial from that page if you want to try it out.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

@adamsfilms12 If you have Hitfilm Pro, @NewBlue_MJ is correct that Cartoonr Plus will get you close very quickly. It's a nice tool. 

If you are in Hitfilm Express you will be unable to use any third-party FX other than those available on the Express Add-ons store. Open FX compatibility is Pro Only. 

• adamsfilms12

NewBlue_MJ thanks for sharing. i will have to look into that seems to be pretty cool and Triem23 i'm looking into trying to get Hitfilm pro been thinking about it for awhile.

• NewBlue_MJ
    NewBlue_MJ Website User Posts: 9

@Triem23 thank you for the clarification on OpenFx support! NewBlue supports so many different editing platforms that it's easy to forget all the details sometimes.

@adamsfilms12 yes, if you are able to use it in the future please check out Cartoonr Plus. I'll be around if you have any questions. 

• Triem23
    edited December 2019

Ok, I've just learned about Ebsynth, which is a brand new (June, 2019) and FREE tool specifically designed to give a hand-painted look to video. The bad news is the official site has zero documentation. The good news is it's been around just long enough for first adopters to have put up YouTube tutorials based on their experiments.

Here's an article with examples. 

https://80.lv/articles/ebsynth-turn-painting-into-hand-drawn-animation/

• adamsfilms12

Triem23 very interesting find good job i will be looking into that.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,854 Ambassador

It certainly is very interesting... I will be looking into this as well! :)

• lynnellis
    lynnellis Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    edited March 20

You will not be able to use any third-party FX other than those available on the Express Add-ons store (If you are using Hitfilm Express). Also if you want to be compatible with Open FX you need to unlock Pro. More information about popular scanner application CamScanner will be useful to you click here

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 520 Enthusiast
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!