Help! We need your votes!

JaboozaJabooza Website User Posts: 9
Greetings fellow filmmakers! I know I haven't posted on here much since the olden days of the FXhome forums, but I've come crawling back to shamelessly beg for your help. My team (...which consists of me and one friend) has submitted a short film into RODE Microphone's filmmaking competition, and one of the ways to win is by getting public votes... and so here I am, stripped of all dignity, grubbing for your support.
Of course, you should probably watch our film and make sure you actually like it first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWW_obSXjSs
If you like the film, you can vote for it here: http://www.rodemic.com/myrodereel/watch/201#.U0dOEV7RhGJ Also, if you feel inclined to share it around with your friends, we won't complain. ;)

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited April 2014
    Very well done! I liked the concept and the way it's executed. The music fit well to the mood and even though the theme in the music was simple, it was recognizable and gave the film a nice flow. I like repeating music themes in movies as it can accentuate continuity. The actress has a natural inner beauty and has good "stage presence"......despite this being a movie. Screen presence?
    The FX are outstanding!
    You got my vote, however, the computer I'm on is a work one so I'll vote when I get home.
  • JaboozaJabooza Website User Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the kind words! Glad to hear you liked the music; I definitely enjoy doing scores with simple themes and doing variations on them throughout my films.
    And thanks for the vote as well, it's much appreciated! :D
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    That's the prettiest "carthartic-break-up" movie I've ever seen. Basically, I'll agree with everything Stormy said above, and here's my vote.
    Great camera moves as well--it can be tricky to keep a constantly moving camera without it becoming distracting, or having the camera moves call attention to themselves, but the lines of motion just flowed together very very nicely. The transitions between the real world and dream state are lovely and creative, and the transitions within the dream world were nicely subtle. Excellent work!
  • Salo L.Salo L. Website User Posts: 4
    Guys, I think that for a team of two this is a great shortcut film.
    I love the special effects in the transition estate.
    This seems to be a shortcut scene taken out of a blockbuster film that there is out there.
    As I said, I think you did an excellent job on creating the scenes, the soundtrack, the special effect, everything goes along together. PROPS to you!!!
    And of course I will vote for it.
    Good luck on winning the competition! :)
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff
    I really loved this (why I included it in the roundup ;P) and think that your disintegration effect is just beautiful. 
    You've got my vote!
    Thanks everyone, glad you all liked it! :D
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Wow this was very worthwhile to watch.  What system ran all of your particles??  Also i really loved the camera moves.  What equipment did you use in order to get the smooth slides.  And how did you do the move at 0:07
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    Caleb, there's a BTS video for this on the movie wall--as of 5/4/14 (May the Fourth be with you), it's on page 3 if you filter videos by "All." The BTS answers some of your questions, and I am sure the film makers will gladly answer the rest.
  • daydreambicycledaydreambicycle Website User Posts: 16
    I really liked the video and the BTS, I voted for you. Might I ask how you set up your slider? it looked interesting and I've been looking ideas for a better slider setup than I have.
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff
    edited May 2014
    I'm just going to add the link to the Behind the Scenes video here in case you cant find it Caleb:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDBghAJR8w
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Only recently got round to watching this and was highly impressed. Beautiful work - you managed to make a fairly well-worn theme feel fresh.
    Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone!
    Caleb - The particles were made with my friend's Mac Pro. Here are the specs: Processor: 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Memory: 24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.
    As for the shot at 0:07, we used a DIY fig rig (which we made out of PVC pipe). To get the spinning motion, we attached electrical tape to each side of it, like so:
    Screen_Shot_2014_05_17_at_11_37_56_AM.pn
    We put four pieces of tape which all met in the middle. Then we were able to hold the tape (with the fig rig aimed down at the pictures), "wind up" the fig rig, then let it go so it would spin in the opposite direction. We also shot it at 60 fps so we could slow it down in post. Of course, this worked better in theory than it did in reality; it took a lot of takes and still had to be stabilized, but it got the job done in the end.
    daydreambicycle - Our slider setup probably isn't the one you're looking for. ;) You can see a bit more of how we made it in the behind the scenes of one of our older videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ7kcU4akVE
    We basically threw it together with scrap PVC pipe, then when it came time to do this film, we attached it to a piece of plywood so it wouldn't completely fall apart... but it did start falling apart anyway, so we had to resort to using duct tape to hold it together throughout the shoot. At 3:07 in our behind the scenes video for Closure you can see the slider on it's last legs, with duct tape on either side and it starting to bend from the wood warping. It didn't survive the trip home after that day.

Simon - Thanks for that! One of my main goals from when we first got the idea was to make sure it didn't end up like something straight off of Disney Channel. :D
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    [quote name="Jabooza" post="42245" timestamp="1399221575"]Thanks everyone, glad you all liked it! :D[/quote]
    I have been frustrated because I feel like Logic Pro has good strings. What voices did you use for the strings and other orchestral voices?
    I actually didn't use any of Logic's built-in instruments for this. Most of the instruments are from the Silver Edition of the Eastwest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra virtual instrument pack. I also used Apple's Symphonic Orchestra Garageband Jam Pack for a few of the instruments.